iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ok, Here's a Forestry Question for you?

Started by SwampDonkey, January 30, 2007, 06:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

How did the state capital of Louisiana get named? I ain't going to give ya's the name of the capital neither. ;D  :D  :P

If I don't get the right answer from a Louisiana resident, well.........I'll just be shattered. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

Just a quick history lesson. When the explorer LaSalle was navigating the lower Mississippi, passing through Baton Rouge, he spotted a large branch overhanging the river where the Choctaw indians hung their game. The branch was used daily which gave it the red stain that came to be known as Baton Rouge. 

This is best as I can remember from 8th grade social studies. :)
Stewardship Counts!

SwampDonkey

:o :o Well, it's actually not that gory. And a bit different history telling. ;) Think of what cedarman's business is all about. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I ain't not be sure me no, but i tink dey got dat name from dem tree wit dat red wood in it what you call cedar.  :D :D :D. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

:) 8) 8) 8) :)

Yes!! French settlers called eastern red cedar baton rouge, meaning "red stick". They found the same tree in Louisiana, so they named the capital after it. ;D

DWM is partly right, except the wrong guy and tribe names, but the stick was a marker of hunting territory between a couple Indian nations (Bayogoula and the Houma tribes). The stick happened to be a eastern red cedar, the site below calls it a cypress pole though and I read that it was bald cypress in another site. So, someone's right and someone's wrong, I ain't arguing either way. ;D

Sieur d'Iberville and the Colony of Louisiana

There is a further link about the French Explorer in that site.

Texas Ranger

Don't know bout no dang red stick, but, whooeee can dem folk cook.  An dance, and fish, and hunt, and when ya got all that together its a fedodo fo sure.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!