iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reina's New Toy

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 30, 2007, 04:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Ever since I asked about a Mini Wood Lathe on the FF, Reina has been bugging me for one. I tried to buy one here, but, it's nearly impossible to buy ANY Wood Lathe here.

Sooo, I built one. It still needs the step pulleys and motor attached. It's only for Bowl turning, right now. Needs a New shaft made with a Tapered center hole and threaded for a chuck and SOLID Face plate. That would be simple, IF I could find someone that didn't think "close enough" is acceptable Lathe Specs  ::) ::)

Someday, I might try to make a tailstock. I need my Metal lathe down here.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Hey....That's a pretty good start... ;D ;D ;D

What size motor ya puttin' on it ??? ???

My old Record lathe had bedways like that. I was surprised how true they stayed...I abused that old girl a little... ;) ;) :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Murf

DanG Harold, that's a heck of a start, if only I'd known whatcha waz up to, I got one of those 120 volt offshore jobs collecting dust.

The kind with the variable speed drive, face plate, 4 jaw, bunch o' cheap chisels, da whole 9.35 yrds.  ::)

I'd even given ya a good deal on delivery......  ;D

Mebbe you kin order a shaft as a spare part fer one a' da cheapies we have up here. They mail order stuff all over creation.

Lemme know if ya want da contact info or sumat fer da place up here.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Fla._Deadheader

Shipping and Duty taxes eat you up down here. I been thinkin on shippin another small load. Might contact ya later on, Murf. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dan_Shade

looks to be a candidate for treadle power!  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

swampy

You can always do what you were going to do with Teri and I, mount a bicycle to a plank and make the rear wheel as the motor one can pedal while the other lathes and then switch back and forth. I figure 2 or 3 pen blanks per person would be good ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Murf

Harold, check with those loverly people in da gubbermint down there, there's usually an exemption fer gifts.

After all, who's gonna make Junior pay taxes and duty on his berfday presents?  ::)

It's suprising some of the strange "presents" I send some of my friends, usually paid for with their own money.  :D

Do you know some of my friends have 3 or 4 berfdays a year too?  ::)  :D  :D   :D

SwampDonkey

If you could come up with a mechanism to adjust the throat of the pulley, then there is your variable speed right there. That's all my Delta uses. Hook up a switch on the motor to reverse rotation to. I'll take a picture of the pulley mechanism for ya tomorrow Harold. Next thing is to concoct it down there from available inventory. ;D Seems to me on dad's old potato hopper you just cranked it to tighten or loosen the belt to adjust speed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Yep Donk, same thing I'm huntin for my Cycle drive. Never find one down here. 
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

I have an adjustable pulley on a conveyor unit.
I'm wondering if you could split a solid pulley to make one?

Fla._Deadheader

Not the same thing, Furby.

Motor drive pulley is actually a centrifugal clutch, with springs and weight arms that engage and also close the width of the pulley, pushing the belt out into a higher gear range. The driven pulley is just spring loaded to counter act the drive pulley, so the belt stays tight.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Guess I'm gonna need to see a pic.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

Furby, lift the hood of a snow-mo-bubble, same thing, but purely centrifugal no electrics involed.  :D

Furby

Send me one of those things Murf and I'll lift the hood. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

When ya git it, Furb, remove that drive mechanism, so's ya git a good look at it, then drop it in a box, PO Sebastian, Fl.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Murf

I could send you a few out of da "surplus / future requirements" pile, err, I mean 'inventory'.  :D

Problem with dem ones is dey only operate based on input shaft speed, when da engine speeds up wieghts on arms push the moveable sheave halves apart, making da diameter of da pulley smaller, and raising the gear ratio. Springs push it back when the speed is reduced.

It would take a bunch of bench-top injuneering to make it work on demand.  ::)

crtreedude

Harold - Grizzly ships here - and tools only have a 3% importation tax the last time I checked. Also, there is a place in Ciudad Quesada that sales lathes (bigger ones) but I bet they could get you a small one.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

I'm needin a BandSaw, Fred. What's the name of that place ???  Electro Beyco has NOTHING in Lathes ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Tom@forestryforum.com

There is a set of plans on the internet somewhere for making a bandsaw out of wood.  If you need a big one, you might consider making one.  The wheels are laminated boards.  I seem to remember them being fiber glassed and a rubber strip affixed to the outside for a tire.

I think the whole thing might have been made out of wood.

speak of the devil and he makes a post.  :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Possibly this set of plans?

Build a Wooden Bandsaw

The site has several other interesting plans as well...

Fla._Deadheader

I been studyin this one.

Here

Plywood is a little tricky to obtain down here.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Before ya know it, Harold's going to have us all convinced he's living in a lost Miyan city in the jungle secluded from Industrialization of the modern world.  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Well, most concrete form wood is softwood 10"-12" wide. Use it a couple times, abuse it severely, and burn it. I saw one size of Plywood, and it was 3/8" thick.

Gotta meet with an Owner of one of the biggest Lumber yards in Costa Rica, very soon.  8)  Maybe he sells Plywood  ??? ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The plans I saw weren't plywood.   Y0u made the wheel by creating your own.  I think it was 3 layers of boards at different angles. glued and screwed and fiberglassed.

It wasnt' a little saw either.  The wheels were in the 25 or 30 inch range.

Furby

Wouldn't worry about making your own plywood if that hardwood is as hard as you say, I'd figure it would hold together just fine as one piece. Could be wrong though. :)

SwampDonkey

All ya need is one of them big logs and a really big lathe. Just cut off a couple feet of log, mount her, get out the scraper to get her nice and round, dismount and slice off a couple new band wheels. Drill a centre hole to fit the drive mechanism. Apply some 2-in-1 epoxy and some rubber, set and mount. Good to go. Easy ain't it? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!