iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question For Steel Workers???

Started by Coon, January 30, 2007, 12:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

In my "Critter" Building Ventures I have had many things to ponder....Could I do this?.....  How do I?....  How much is this gonna cost me??.... Well, I almost overlooked an important aspect of the whole project.  Weight,  probably my most crucial part of being successful in my venture.   I have an idea of what the weights will be but not specific enough.  Is there a site somewhere on the net that will give me the weights of say 1 foot of 3"x3"@3/16 wall boxbeam or 1 foot of 3"x3" @1/4"thickness angle iron? 

All help greatly appreciated.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Gary_C

Most all steel supply warehouses have a book that lists all the steel products they supply along with the weights per foot. I have accumulated many over the years, but I still can't find one when I need it.

3 x 3 x 3/16 sq tubing is 6.880 lbs/ft.

3 x 3 x 1/4 angle is 4.90 lbs/ft or 98.0 lbs/ 20 ft
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

KGNC

Can't give you a web site but my steel manual has 3x3x3/16 at 7.04 lbs /ft. and the 3x3x1/4" angle at 5.4 lbs /ft.

Edit: found a website with down loadable catalogs
https://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/catdl2.phtml?aident=

Gary_C

I'm not sure why KGNC's values are different. All steel specs are supposed to be the same.

You can look up your own numbers here:  McNeilus Steel Catalog

You have to dowload their catalog and it's 104 pages.

KGNC

My catalog is maybe 20 years old but I have not heard of any changes in structural tubing. but in all these years I've never checked to see if the #'s are correct.

Murf

The handiest calculator I've found is a nifty little downloadable program that does it for you.

I can never find my printed catalogue when I need it, so this is great, it also allows you store your results so you can piece by piece, figure out how much a whole project will weigh.

Metal Suppliers Online Calculator linkey thingey.......

I've used it for years, no spyware or problems, I'd be lost without it.  ::)

Ok, more lost without it.   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Tom

Maybe the newer ones are weighing Chinese steel.  I hear it has holes in it.  :D :D

Murf

I suspect it has more to do with what they melt into it.  ::)

I wonder how many "import cars" it takes to screw up a batch of steel?   ;)  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Gary_C

I have a Central Steel catalog from 1984 and it has the same weights as my newes ones.   ???

Coon

Thanks alot guys,  that info is exactly what I was looking for.  I am sure it will help me out alot.  The way it looks with Critter is I have to add some more weight to the back end.  Will get it figured out though.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!