Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

scsmith42

Way cool - I want one!

The fuel savings over the life of the car would be astronomical.  I wonder what the performance is like though?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ellmoe

Put a 4-wheel drive and a 12' flatbed dump on it and I'm there!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

sawguy21

:D :D :D I agree, what good is it if it won't carry a lift of 2x4's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

At 11' long I think they want you to put it in the 12' bed . :D

DanG now how can I justify that Harley to save gas  ???

scsmith42

Bill, seems to me that buying a Harley first would be "working your way up" to the future VW.  Sometimes it's wise to take things in steps, ya know?   ;)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Fla._Deadheader

Bill, put a Diesel Engine in that Harley.  8) ;D

I'd LOVE to talk Tom outta his "GoldWing" and put a Diesel in it.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gary_C

VW does make real cars that get very good mileage. My son bought a new VW Passat Diesel about two years ago and he runs it on straight biodiesel in the summer and gets over 40 MPG.   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bill

Now if I just knew that I could use that Harley in all the "bike" lanes that are popping up .

:)

Paschale

it weighs 640 lb.  I think there are people who have weighed more than that car does!   :o
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

farmerdoug

FD,  You are going about it all wrong. ;)  We now know if you want something of Tom's, you go to his wife and ask. :D  After all it has worked for Baker. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Raphael

VW is doing some pretty nice work with diesel motors, our New Beetle TDI get's ~45mpg average and peaks out at about 52 mpg on the highway.  Doesn't climb hills to well with the turbo out ::) but otherwise it's been an amazing car.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

limbrat

I like dat, but ya know just the absense of external rear veiw mirrors will keep it out of the states. I know that steering by wire in cars has been shot down several times. I dont know if rear view monitors will pass code or not.
ben

Polly

8) 8) talking about vw diesel the old service manuals back in the 60s said when temperature gets below 0 add i gal of gas to 10 gal diesel oil to keep fuel from gelling , the old mercadies benz truck manuals said same thing this worked good in the trucks built before 1995 i havent tried in anything newer it has not been cold enough last sever years to experience major fuel gelling i do know it worked in the older models :) :) 8)

Raphael

Diesel around here has been gelling a lot more since the first drop in sulfur content, I suspect this latest change for '07 hasn't helped matters.  We've been adding "One Shot" (VWA's only approved product) to our fuel every winter since the first time I shut down half way up the mountain at 1 am.  ::)

People use kerosene 5-15gal. to 100 gal. of diesel or fuel oil.  My former housemates secret home heating formula was 14 gallons of kerosene, 16oz. Naptha and top off to 150 gallons with fuel oil.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Bill

FWIW

'01 Jetta TDI has glow plugs that work pretty good ( iffen the battery is good ) warming things up before hitting the starter if you give them the time to do their job. Starts reliably down to single digits - so far while getting mpg sometimes a little better then Raphael's and sometimes a little worse. Overall glad to have picked it up not quite two years ago so the ' 92 truck can rest .

Have known a couple people years back that used the kerosene deal to thin their winter diesel. Now they tell me there's a "winter" blend - but again like Raphael I use an additive - but since there's no warranty I chose Red Line's and it seems to be OK.

stonebroke

I like to use a 50 to 50 blend of kerosene and diesel in my tractors in the winter, I do this because diesel is not what it used to be.

Modat22

I love the car but I hope I'd never get in a wrech that causes all that magnesium to ignite you could never put the fire out LOL.

Still its a nice looking car IMO, nice and space age
remember man that thy are dust.

olyman

i like--but--the ecologists wont allow it over here--its a diesel--and spews noxious emissions---uh huh--esp with that many miles to the gallon---sheesh--id like one---

Don_Papenburg

Those emmisions ,  Like the gov. mandating air pumps on gas burners .  It cuts the PPM per volume of polutants , makes the car get less MPG  so it dumps out more polution.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Gary_C

Just a little update on the VW's. My son has two VW diesels. One a Jetta and the other a Passat. A couple of weeks ago the injection pump on the Jetta had to be rebuilt, I think it cost over $1000. Last week he called to say the Jetta now has an engine problem and was towed to the shop. Turns out a piston broke off the connecting rod. After closer inspection, they found the remaining pistons were about to break also. At about the same time, Consumer Reports put VW on the top of their list of problem cars.  :)

The Jetta has now been sold for junk at $3000 and he is getting rid of the newer Passat as soon as he can after replacing the Jetta. He is looking at a Toyota hybrid because there are no other diesel cars available in the US. It seems the emissions laws in the US are preventing some other good diesels from being sold in the US.  :)

olyman

Polly

8) 8) 8)   i just happen to think the easter bunny dont depend on all this fuel stuf and he should be comming pretty soon good luck egg hunting and happy sawing  :D :D :D i am sorry i did not know anything constructive to add  8) 8)

Gary_C

olyman

I am guessing that it is a 2004.

Thank You Sponsors!