iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gasoline and Oil with Stabilizer

Started by tim1234, January 29, 2007, 07:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

I've seen a lot of posts on the type of gas and type of oil to use in saws, but what about the standard oil you get at the corner hardware store that has the stabilizer in it?  Any drawbacks?

Also, all the manuals I've ever read state to only mix up enough gas to last a month or less.   What about gas witht the stabilzer?  I have some sitting in my new 455 Rancher and need to do some more cutting this winter.  I'm wondering if I should dump out the tank and fill with fresh gas.  I usually buy midgrade for my saws.  The gas is from October.

Thanks

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

sawguy21

The better brand name oils such as those from Husqvarna and Stihl have stabilizers that SHOULD keep the gas from going bad for up to 2 years. I prefer to dump it in the truck after a couple of months and start with fresh mix, I don't usually have more than a gallon sitting around.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MDP

I've learned from my experiences, if you are done with the saw and it is going to sit for more than a week drain the tank back into your fuel can. Then start the saw and run it dry mostly by idleing don't rev the saw much because you'll be way lean, this gets all the gas out of the carb which if left in for too long will cause those small holes and jets to get varnised up and your saw wont run right and you'll fight it until you either get it cleaned out or get a new carb. As for the gas that's mixed and waiting to go back into your saw it will stay good (they say) for about six weeks, I've gone longer but you definetly notice a different smell after six weeks even with the stabilizers in the mix oil, adding a little stabil wouldn't hurt a thing, gas these days sure isn't what it used to be.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!