iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shopping for a New Plunge Router

Started by Norm, January 29, 2007, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I would like to get some advice on what folks use and the brands you like. Also any accessories you feel is important if at all for them.

As with all my tool choices bigger is better, but I've been told no more low-boy deliveries. ;D

metalspinner

How many other router's do you have?  Do you want one for a special purpose?  Do you already have a shaper and need the router for handheld use?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

One can never have too many routers.  Even my old dogs get used.

For a plunge router I think power is maybe the least important issue.  Stability would be the first issue, than ease of plunging, and dust collection.

This is my last plunge router purchase.  It gets an "F" for stability, "D" for ease of plunging, "F" for switch placement, "D" for dust collection, but on the good side, it gets straight "A+"s for the soft start, speed control, and power.

I've made modifications to improve it but it's like putting lipstick on a pig.  PC replaced it with a new model few years ago.

DeWalt and Bosch both make nice machines...but nothing to get overly excited about.

Seen some good comments about Festools but you never know if those guys are talking loaded up on testosterone.  In any case I'm not committing that kind of money until I can put my mitts around one.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Paschale

I have a Makita.  I wouldn't buy this particular model again, primarily because of the placement of the switch.  With a plunge router, you've got the router up above the workpiece, situated just where you want it with both hands hanging onto the handles.  Ideally, you'll have an on-off switch located on the handle. One mine, I've got to take one hand off the router, and turn on the router on top of the machine.  Thankfully, it has a soft-start (which I think is important), but it still is awkward and can get a little unwieldy in those first moments.

My two biggies:  get a switch on the handle and make sure it has a soft start to it.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

My Makita router has a switch beside the handle. I think it was designed more as a shaper, but it is plunge. I always used it mounted on tables. I've got to get mine fixed yet, as it went before Christmas. But, I have a backup Makita router that has a trigger switch on the handle itself. I did all my dovetailing for my two furniture projects this winter with it. Both those routers are 15 years or more old. I can't think of a single large piece of furniture I built that I never used a router or mt shaper/router. You can get them now with very low noise. Get at least 2 HP one, although my little one has a 1-1/4 HP and has lots of power to burn up dull bits. :D :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

I've got the old big boy Porter Cable, it's got better handles and the trigger in the handle compared to Larry's but still is on the unwieldy side. It gets used mostly in a table but does get pressed into handheld work, usually in nested jigs or with a fence. The power is nice if you've got alot to do, I don't have to let it cool very often, where a smaller one on big jobs is hurting. The soft start fried awhile back and I took it out. Needless to say I had a firm hand on it the first time I tried it after that...twern't nothing if you're ready to be turning on a machine. I call it a handheld shaper, I'll replace it with another when the time comes.

brdmkr

I have the old Hitachi M12V or is it MV12???  Regardless, it is a heck of a router.  However, I only use it in a table.  I like the plunge feature in the table for ease of adjustment as I don't have above-the-table adjustment.  It also has the soft start and plenty of power.  I currently use a fixed-base craftsman for freehand stuff.  I don't like it much, and I am planning on replacing it with either the Hitachi or Bosch fixed/plunge kits (someday).

For what it is worth, I have heard that the new big Hitachi is actually an improvement over my current model, but in my humble opinion...... IT IS UGLY! :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

scsmith42

Norm, I've got the bigger Dewalt plunge router.  Like the other brands, it's a bit unwieldy.  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy a smaller diameter non-plunging type, mainly because the lower mass should make it easier to handle.

I'll say this though - it does a nice job on aircraft aluminum instrument panels  ;D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pigman

I have three routers. A small fixed base  small Ryobi that I leave set up for dovetails, a 2.5 hp plunge Porter-Cable similar to Larry's that I use handheld and and a 3.5 hp  plunge Freud FT 2000 in a home built table. The Porter-Cable lacked power in the table. The Freud was cheap, has soft start and has variable speed which is necessary for turning big panel raising bits.  The Porter-Cable works fine for me the way I use it. I bought the Ryobi when I started wood working. It is not much of a router, but works fine for a dedicated dovetail router.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

solodan

I have a Makita, and there is the switch on top like Paschale stated, but this particular model accepts a variety of bases. it is nice to be able to use the same motor and have different bases for different uses. The switch on the top works good on a router table if you don't have an auxillary switch, and they do sell bases that have a switch in the handle as well, so it could be looked at as a saftey device, cause the motor need to be in the on position in order for the trigger to work. I like it alot, because it is a good router with plenty of power, and it is very versatile as well. I believe porter cable also makes a pretty good one that accepts multiple bases.

Don P

SCSmith,
If you ever see a DeWalt 690 or an old B&D Industrial 1-1/2 horse, grab it. They are hands down the best balanced smaller routers ever made. They take quite a licking too.

Ianab

This is my baby  ;D

Mostly used in the slab surfacer and home made router table. Soft start, variable speed, heaps of power (240v 10amps). I think the US version is tamed down a little (120v 15a?). It's a bit of a beast for handheld use, but perfectly usable. The power switch is on the main body beside the handle and you can flick it with your thumb while keeping both hands on the handles ;)

My other router is a little Bosch, similar to the Colt version you get there. It's really just a fancy plunge trimmer, but it's nice and light and works well for freehanding small roundovers and bevels on stuff. Anything heavy that needs doing I can allways haul out the Makita  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

When earth shaking, stump-pulling, ground ripping, brute horsepower is required, the PC 7518 Speedmatic gets the call. :)  It's the standard by which all other high horsepower routers are compared.  I try to keep it in the router table but it escapes occasionally to take on big jobs. ;D

Seen here wearing the router table plate, template bushing, and an extra long HSS end mill it is ready for a routing adventure in the extreme.  This machine will handle any bit available on planet Earth. :)

I would be more than happy to help you shop Norm and we could pick out a whole battery of routers to fit most any occasion. :D  As I wrote in my first post, you can never have too many routers. ;)

Just thought of another thing to look for when buying a router...the PC template bushings are the best made but they don't fit all routers.  It's not a big deal as you can buy or make bases for any router to fit the PC bushings.  I usually make a few extra out of lexan...just in case a router sale comes along. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Norm

Thanks for all the replies folks.  :)

I've got a small fixed base bosch I use for the easy tasks and a shaper for the heavy duty stuff. I wonder if I should also get a big beefy router to put in a table or am I just duplicating the shaper. To be honest the shaper just plain scares me. When you fire that beast up it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and certain parts to tighten appreciably.  :D

Larry I'm guessing we'd have a fine time hitting the woodsmith store on a shopping spree although I'd best alert the CC company first. Of course next I'd have to kidnap you to give me lessons on the shaper, too bad you moved even further away.

Thanks again for all the comments on your likes and dislikes, it really helps me out on looking at what's out there.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paschale

Quote from: Norm on January 30, 2007, 07:49:46 AM
To be honest the shaper just plain scares me. When you fire that beast up it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and certain parts to tighten appreciably.  :D

:D :D :D :D :D

One way of looking at that...if it does that, then that's the sign of a good tool!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

pigman

Quote from: Ianab on January 30, 2007, 01:23:52 AM
This is my baby  ;D

Mostly used in the slab surfacer and home made router table.

Ian

Ian, We put our routers in our tables differently on this side of the earth. We put our router under the table top, not on top of it. Thats right, things are upside down in the land of downunder. ;) I suppose the router in the picture could be in the slab surfacer. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

scsmith42

Don P - thanks for the tip - I'll keep my eyes open for these.

Norm - if you get to go on that shopping spree with Larry, let me know - it might be worthwhile for me to fly in just for the education  :D  :D  :D  (not to mention being a 'fly on the wall' when Patty sees the CC bill!)

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

Norm, if you're not going to make raised panels on the router table than something around two hp would be plenty.  You wouldn't like a plunge router in a table...I've seen a few and the guys removed the spring to make them easier to adjust.

Some of the manufactures are making routers especially for tables now that crank up and down.  In addition, the aftermarket people are making some nice gadgets to raise and lower the router.  I don't have hands on experience with any of them so can't pass on a recommendation as to what is best.  They sure do look slick in the magazines though.

SwampDonkey

My Makita has a threaded shaft, and I was going to say it was used for up and down adjustment. Well not exactly, it's a depth stop adjustment and just below is a set of 3 depth stops which can be rotated and can also be adjusted with set screws. ;D

brdmkr

Quote from: Larry on January 30, 2007, 01:26:07 PM
You wouldn't like a plunge router in a table...I've seen a few and the guys removed the spring to make them easier to adjust.

That is sort of the idea.  Springs are easy to remove (and reinstall if you ever need them).  Without the springs they are easy to adjust.  I really think my Hitachi is easy to adjust even with the springs.  However, my previous router with a fixed base was a real dog, so that is all I have for comparison.  I really like my Hitachi setup.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Norm

Well I narrowed it down to this one Hitachi Router or this one Makita Router

Any opinions good or bad on either?

Larry

I bought a Hitachi M12 as a present for a family member several years ago.  He thinks it is a great router...and this was the older model before it got customized.  I did a little reading and looks like the spring is removable so you can put it in a table plus it has soft start...something I really like, especially on the these big honkers.  And even my little bitty Bosch Colt has soft start.

It doesn't look like the Makita has soft start...I would rule it out for that reason alone.     

4woody

Hi Norm thi is Woody i do sideing  an i have bouht two hitachi saws an woud not recomend any one to buy any thing made buy them my makitas woud last tell they got stold an have used them seens 84

Norm

Hitachi seems to run either hot or cold on some of their tools. I've heard bad reviews on their miters but good on their pneumatic nailer's.

Guess I'll be the test subject on the router...I already bought one. :D

Thank You Sponsors!