iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Logs In Stock Ponds . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, January 29, 2007, 01:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I know Black Walnut sawdust can send a horse to horsey heaven, so i thought I better ask whether or not storing oak, walnut, ash, sycamore, hickory, and osage in a stock tank will hurt the beeves. I have a bunch of hackberry to store too but that stuff don't keep too well on land - wonder if it's kosher to store hachberry in the tank.

And when you store logs this way, should the ends be sealed first? I would think not but my thinking has got me in trouble before.

So I got more than one question in here i better rephrase.

1) Will the acids etc. stuff in the logs seep out and hurt the cattle?
2) Should they be sealed?
3) Will hackberyy last in a tank better than on land?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ron Wenrich

Tannic acid would be a no-no.  Put a piece of oak bark in a bucket of water and see how black the water gets.  That's the tannins at work.  We had a mill get fined for allowing this to go into a creek, and was deemed a hazardous waste.

You would be better off with a sprinkling system.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I know the dyewood (osage) has dies that are readily soluble in water. They used to use the dyes, but have been replaced by synthetics. I don't know if they are toxic. Someone on the forum said that walnut husks were toxic to fish.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

extrapolate85

I know that turtles love mill ponds and was once in Louisiana visiting a mill that had a 10' long gator in its mill pond - named "Fred" whose job was to keep the water moccasin population in check. I don't think mammals like mill pond water, but if you have a herd of turtles, I would go for it.

SwampDonkey

You guys ain't never seen water from a spruce/moss bog. Just as black as coffee, and I've caught trout in those black dark waters believe it or not.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Natural dyes are alive and well. I sell about all the osage dust I create to a lady who rebags it and sells by the ounce on up. I am pretty much giving it to her compared to what she is pulling in on her website prices. :o

So I guess storing them in a stock pond is out. And getting caught by the EPA ain't no fun either if they go wandering through certain pastures. I just don't have any room to store them in my log yard it is loaded up. I have as many logs as I want to get with no where to put them 'cept in a pond. I have access to other tanks with no livestock, I just don't see it as a problem to the environment it has been done for what, since man started logging near rivers and bays?

TexasTimbers

Man I type slow. When I started there was not these last two. Anywell, I might look for some turtle ponds then ;)

Ron Wenrich

Yes, its been done before, but that doesn't mean there isn't any problems.  I remember seeing something about bark left in a stream that caused problems with some virus or the likes that killed salmon.  A few pieces of bark that fall into streams on a natural basis probably isn't that bad, but when you start to put high concentrations, then you have a problem.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Coon

Swamp,  I don't think they ever had beaver feaver either. :D :D ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Most states will require commercial operations to have a permit from the state environmental division if they plan to store wood under water or use a sprinkler system to keep wood wet.  There has to be a stormwater plan, etc.  You might check into that to make sure that you don't get surprised by some regulation that you were not aware of. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I'd say someone better get sawing and stacking under cover, ;D

Thank You Sponsors!