iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hunting success '06-'07

Started by DWM II, January 29, 2007, 06:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

Deer season ends here in Louisiana tommrow and I am sure its mostly over up north. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable season and yall had an opportunity to fill your tags. I didnt kill this year myself, but like last year I was lucky enough to have my 11 year old daughter on the stand with me and she was able to harvest a doe. Man, I wouldnt trade that hunt for other I can think of.

Here's the picture, I'll have to post the story later seeing how I got to get to work.

how about sharing yall's past hunting success's and pictures here.
Stewardship Counts!

Norm

Great picture of a proud young lady DWM. :)

It was too cold for any pictures but I filled my four tags this year. Most were yearlings but I did get one big doe. Missed horribly on some biggggg bucks. I kept the loins boned, out everything else. I take that meat grind it and then mix in the same amount of fatty beef cuts. I regrind this into bags of hamburger. You cannot taste anything but the beef for those folks that don't like venison flavor.

Texas Ranger

Down here we add hog meat, grind it up, and make sausage and chilli meat out of the left overs of a deer.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 29, 2007, 10:39:12 AM
Down here we add hog meat, grind it up, and make sausage and chilli meat out of the left overs of a deer.

I leave the leftovers in the woods, before I drag out da deer........ ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I am just amazed. You guys take one of the healthiest meats you can get and add beef and pork fat :o. Ok I'll have to admit one of the guys at our camp always brings up a 5lb deer bologna every year and we devour it. But still...

I took 4 this year, 2 older doe's and 2 younguns. Boned out completley they fit in my big cooler. I have made a bout 15lbs jerky, have bags of stew meat, we just finished the tenderloin yesterday, I cook them whole, mmmm. I have the back straps and a bunch of bags of roasts from the hams. Oh yea I finished off the hearts over the weekend too.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

Beenthere, left overs is everything left after loins, tenderloins, hams and shoulders are processed.  Never figured out how you could cook deer ribs, down here, there aint enough meat on em to bother with.  A GOOD deer down here may go 175 pounds, the last deer I killed in Missouri was a doe at 210 pounds.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

;D ;D ;D  Ya, I new dat  :)

For a few years, we cooked the bones down in a pot, along with the ribs. Let it cool, skimmed off the fat, then cooked again, and skimmed off the fat. It made great soup stock.  But now, I just hang the rib cage in a tree for the birds to feed on all winter. Coyotes go nuts trying to get at it, and sometimes they do pull it down. Figure they must be pretty good at leaping or are able to get up the tree a ways to get at them.

I like venison better'n beef, and figure it is the best for me without the marbling and fat that beef has. But just my preference. I like the sausage and balogna too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

All I got this year is one grouse on the morning beenthere and Burlcraft came to visit. Got it with the pickup about a mile from my landing and even went back to see if there was anything left we could cook for lunch, but nothing but feathers and skin. Darn

Oh and at home I shot one coon my dog had cornered. Had to use the .357 as it was the closest thing. Then a few days later the dog cornered another coon by my machine shed and I nailed him with the maul.  ::)

Now that the season is over, I may need to put up traffic lights on my haul roads in the woods. The deer seem to be coming out from everywhere. Three years ago when we had some snow, The deer would follow along about 30 to 40 yards behind the harvester and munch on the tops. If I looked at them for any time they would just stand behind some sapling and hope that I could not see them.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DWM II

Norm, if you thought she was proud you should have seen the smile on my face. :) :)

anyhow now for the rest of the story.

Two weeks prior to this harvest, Peyton and I shared a stand in the lease we belong to during the La. youth hunt weekend. The previous year she took a doe with my .270, a full size Ruger, she managed a clean kill and it was all business-like, no big deal. Well we were sitting in our stand when two spikes walked out and I got her to put the closest one in the scope (75 yards), and told her to shoot when ready. Since last year's kill was so "easy" as soon as I got the words out of my mouth she shot. My first mistake was not coaching her to take her time, aim, dont look,  and so on, she made a bad shot hitting it in the front leg at the bottom joint. I'll take the blame for this one. :(

After realizing my mistakes I figured she needed a rifle of her own, something that fit her better so she didnt have to stretch for the eye releif on the scope. I settled on a H&R Handy-rifle 7mm-08. Got a box of bullets and sat her down for some target shooting and choaching.
I relayed one of my favorite movie lines "aim small, miss small" for The Patriot. She settled into the new rifle well shooting 1.5'' groups at 100 yds. Well, now its off the Mississippi for the youth heun there.

A friend from work invited us to Centerville for the youth weekend there. That morning we sat through some tough weather, high winds from a front coming through with no siteings. She's a real hunter though, we sat from daylight untill 10:00 with out any complaints (we did have plent of snacks). Then the evening hunt came along and she was still pumped up. The front had blown in and the skys were blue-bird, I had her convinced that there wasnt any way we wouldnt see a deer that evening (I know there aint nothing certain in deer hunting), so we set off at 2:30.

After sitting for a couple hrs. I spotted some movement in the select cut we were in, sure enough it was a deer. Well, after the wounding two weeks prior, she learned about BUCK FEVER. She began to shake and breathe heavy and I believe I could even hear her heart beat. At this point the deer is just barely visible and its coming to the green field planted, I got her settled down and she set the rifle up waiting for the deer to get clear for a shot. Finally it came to feed after not suspecting us and I got her to get the deer into the scope. Recalling my mistakes from earlier I started coaching, "pick your spot, aim small miss small, etc. etc." At this time the deer is standing broad side at 75 yds and I'm looking at it whith binoculars waiting for the shot. No shot. I stop looking at the deer and turn to her to ask whats wrong? "I cant do it"she said. OK, I got her to put the hammer down on the gun, she was shaking so bad at this point her teeth were chattering, her legs were shakeing, heck, the whole stand was moving. I told her we had all day, that deer wasnt going anywhere. I got her to breath deep and close her eyes and finally she calmed down again, but at this point the deer has turned and is facing us, a shot I dont want her to take.

When the deer presents another broad side shot she is almost to the point of not being able to shoot again, but without getting her to let the hammer down again, I get her calmed, she shoots and the deer trots off not knowing what just happened. It falls 50 yds. from where it was standnig when shot. Wow, what a feeling to get my girl to settle in and feel what keeps us older hunters in the woods year after year. I dont think I've ever had that same feeling as i did that afternoon. Pride, acomplishment, thanksgiving, and knowing I had experienced creating a hunter for life, at this point I'm at a loss for words.

As far as eating, I had the whole deer minus the back strap and tenderloins made into smoked sausage. We eat it every Sunday morning as the girls get ready for church.

I hope yall enjoy this story as much as I enjoy telling it.

Donnie

Stewardship Counts!

Ron Scott

The chain saw and harvester sounds are great "deer calls" as the deer numbers have greatly increased in our hardwood cutting areas as winter snow increases.
~Ron

beenthere

DWM II
Enjoyed that story, and can recall some similar great experiences with my boys when they were 12. Lots of memories that will stay with you forever, as well as your daughter.
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Thought y'all might enjoy this "shot".  ;D 
Burlkraft - is dis da Dismal Swamp Bare guide service you let Jeff know about?   ;D

south central Wisconsin

DWM II

If'n I had a stand like that one, I might could get my wife to hunt with me.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Stewardship Counts!

moosehunter

beenthere,..........
      Dats huntin'!!

DWM,
Good on ya, an offspring you can be proud of!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Norm

That is a great story DWM and I sure enjoyed reading it.  :)

I remember the first deer my oldest son shot. Much the same as yours only we were on the ground. A yearling showed himself, I motioned to Joel while I watched through my scope. Bamm the deer went down instantly, never felt a thing. I know he was proud of it but not nearly as much as old dad was. :)

Jeff

DMW I enjoyed that as well. She'll always remember that day with you. :)

Here's my 2006 trophy.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a big bear Jeff. What did he weigh in at, 4 - 5 lbs? :D

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on January 30, 2007, 12:54:43 PM
DMW I enjoyed that as well. She'll always remember that day with you. :)

Here's my 2006 trophy.

Ya better find yer razor and yer scissors before next season or somebody might be takin' a pot shot at ya from a hot tub... :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Heck, thats just a little beard.  It's a bit longer now.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Samuel

I had a lot of fun hunting this past season.  I managed to finally get a moose draw and got a 4 year old about  a week into the season.  Of course I was actually with someone else and did not have my hunting knapsack so my camera only got to snap a shot at the antlers, however the 500 pounds of de-boned meat makes for some finger licking good meals.

As far as the hamburger goes on my wild game, I add nothing as I think it ruins it.  It cooks up so nice (Mule Deer, White tail, Elk or moose).  Its all good.

Moose Pics:

Here is a pic of my dad's buddy from New Brunswick (Swamp you might know him).  Anyhow he was amazed at the amount of large deer out here and the last day he was here he manage to bag a small 5x4 mule deer to take home.

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

DWM II

I imagine you get a whack o meat off a moose. Congrats on pulling and filling your tag. Thats a nice mulie  as well and yall's herds have reached folklore status down here in the south.
Stewardship Counts!

Samuel

Quote from: DWM II on February 04, 2007, 04:30:01 PM
I imagine you get a whack o meat off a moose. Congrats on pulling and filling your tag. Thats a nice mulie  as well and yall's herds have reached folklore status down here in the south.

That Mulie was likley the smallest buck we seen all week.  I will post some of the real ones I saw later.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!