iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anybody know how to keep beavers away from your pond other than fence?

Started by timcosby, January 29, 2007, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timcosby

dang beavers came through a forest to get to the one tree i planted!!!! then proceeded to get all the water lillies and rose bushes!!!

gary

pineywoods

Put you a gator in the pond.  They love beaver almost as well as dogs.  But they don't take too kindly to ICE.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Buzz-sawyer

NOTHING beats a 330 conibear(trap) ....and a roasting pan .....good eating fo sho!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

isawlogs

12 gauge , too much of a mess , a 22 shot in the ear , then ya can have um in the pan .  digin1  then you get the fur tanned and make a hat .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buzz-sawyer

Marcel
One of my daughters favorite keep sakes is an old pair of mocasins I stiched her outta beaver :)
Many a buck tooth has suffered lead poision from thar 22 pill :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Patty

My mom made me a beautiful jacket from beaver pelts. They have such soft fur.

What she did was buy old fur coats from the Goodwill store, then completely dismantle them, and sew them back together in a new style. My sister had one from dyed skunk pelts. It was solid black with red lining....strikingly beautiful. I love fur coats to this day, they are so warm. These past couple weeks since it has been below zero, my favorite coat is a long knee length coyote coat. The wind won't penetrate the fur it is so thick and warm.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

isawlogs

You should let Norm have that coat , so he could get a few things done outside  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

Your best bet is to make friends with a trapper and let him trap them when they show up.  They can make a real mess in a hurry in farm country.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

CHARLIE

I think you ought to use Tom's method.  Hang a fresh beaver hide on a tree in that area everyday. That'll keep the beaver away.  He does that with deer to keep them out of his garden. He hangs a fresh deerhide on the fence each day. The deer don't like it.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

How do you prepare a beaver for culinary purposes?  Surely it does not taste like chicken  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodbowl

Now Charlie ....... a fresh beaver hide every day is 365 fresh beaver hides a year. That's a lot of trouble having to hunt a beaver every day and then skin em' just to keep his beavers run off. Where's he gona find all those beavers at?  :)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WDH

Just think, you could dine everyday if you had to produce that many hides  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Murf

I read about a feller had problems with beavers in his catfish pond, eatin' all da water lillies, got a 'gator lookin' decoy ta float around in the pond, claimed he ain't seen a beaver since.

Said he don't lose so many fish to the local kids neither.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

CHARLIE

Maybe a 'bama beaver would know what a gator was but if you put a gator in the ponds up here, the gator ain't gonna be happy when winter rolls around and the beaver don't have a clue to what a gator is. The Yankee Beaver might just use the frozen gator as part of his dam. :D 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Warren

Tim,

You need to find ya an ole fart kinda like my dad.  Before he died, his favorite evening pass time was to sit around our pond with a can of Pepsi and a .243 or a 20 gauge to shoot the muskrats and turtles.  Didn't want the muskrats putting holes in the pond dam.  Didn't want the turtles distrurbing the wild ducklings.  All it cost me was to reload a couple boxes of cartridges each year and keep the pond bank mowed.

His folding chair still sits on the pond bank.  I miss the ole fart...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

toxedo_2000

Pour some diesel on the dam, and paint the trees you want to protect with diesel on the first 3 feet.
That will do the job for a while.
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

PineNut

With the diesel, how do you keep the EPA away? Maybe you don't have the EPA or their equivalent up north. (I would probably take my chances too.)

Steven A.

An effective solution would be to introduce hodags to the area. They prey on beaver.

Murf

I'm awful glad I don't live near anybody who pops off a .243 pointed towards water.

I'd hate to think how far away those rounds are coming back to earth.  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Burlkraft

Every time I see this post I think it should be the first line of a joke..... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

theorm

Yep, me too. I keep wondering what the punch line would be like...

Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

timcosby

yea its one of those tear jerker country songs..... $70 willow tree... $100 in antique rose bushes..... $50 in water lillies..... $50 in misc plants..... the bugger only took what we had planted maybe thought it was for him!!!!! like i say he had to walk a mile through a lush forest(swamp) to get to these but i guesse he thought since i planted all that stuff for him he would not disapoint.... fence going up befor planting anything else.

Minnesota_boy

Run that fence down into the water just a bit.  Leave a small gap in the fence in that part that is in the water, about the size of a 330 Connibear.  Use the Connibear to fill the gap, making sure it is set.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Burlkraft

Ya otta just give DanG a call....Iffin' he can herd cats...mebby he can heard up dem beavers fer ya too.... ;D ;D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

burlman

here is a great trick a union man told me that works for him. you must first locate all the trails where the beavers come ashore. there you hang a paint brush dipped in white paint. as the beavers come ashore they hit the brush and leaves a wite smear on there heads. soon there will be so many white tops on the job that nothing will get done and thy'll shut the site down till they can  figure out who is in charge

Warren

Murf,

I wasn't real crazy about the .243 either.  But it did have the desired affect on the muskrats...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!