iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Products; Shop, and Safety Tips . . . . . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, January 28, 2007, 12:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I thought it might be cool to share shop tips and to also bring each others' attention to new products on the market. We don't all lsubscribe to the same pubs or frequent the same online stores etc.

My first offering: Bolder Bond
Low Foaming Polyurethane Glue

Have never tried it. It is a great idea hope it delivers. If anyone has please give us a run down.

Zirconia Alumina Sanding Discs

Instead of using aluminum oxide for abrasiveness, these new pads use ceramic particles and are suppose to last like 4 times longer for only twice as much money. They are also supposed to be coated with a slippery substance that won't hold dust nearly as much. I am going to try them soon as I can.

I can't think of any cool shop tricks right now. Oh yeah there is one safety tip though. When you are ripping on your table saw, and there isn't much clearance between blade and fence, make sure to use a push stick. Especially if you're one of those clumsy kinds of fellas known to be "all thumbs" - or else you could get re-nicknamed "Ol One-Thumb". ::)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JimBuis

For the tablesaw, a cross-cut sled or sliding table is a necessity for cross-cutting and can be shop made.

For sanding, particularly useful on sanding belts, drums and discs, a crepe block can triple the life of your sandpaper. When your sandpaper is loaded, hold the block against the sleeve, belt or disc to strip out accumulated dust and fiber.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

TexasTimbers

Well, the granules are described as "tough", "cutting", and covered with a zinc stearate coating which is a "slippery lubricant".
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

Here's a neat tool I picked up today.

First you "zero" it on the tool surface.

Then adjust your angle....

That was just a bit too much...

Just right. ;D

It works on just about everything.  The jointer was my trouble spot.  When I tighten down the fence, it shifts by two tenths of a degree( I know that now).  By watching the gauge, I can keep control of the movement while it's being tightened.

Woodcraft has them for $40.  I can see this eliminating lots of headaches.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jgoodhart

Thank You Sponsors!