iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock

Started by woodhaven, February 16, 2003, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

Is Hemlock any good for furniture? Everything I find is talking about it being a good construction wood.
Richard

woodbeard

I see from your profile you are in Virginia, so I guess you have eastern hemlock which is coarser in texture than western hemlock. I've not heard of it used for much other than siding boards or beams, etc, but if you have some, try it out and see what you think. It may not sand down very well, but might be nice for more rustic pieces.
Good luck,
George

ohsoloco

Although I haven't seen them, a co-worker told me about the hemlock cabinets he made for his camp....said they turned out beautiful.

woodmills1

watch out for hemlock splinters, they are like barbed fish hooks, they go in and don't wanna come out.  then they seem to always get infected cause there is a piece left at the bottom of the hole. :-X
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jason_WI

The problem with e. hemlock is that it tends to have ring shake. The boards will fall apart right off of the mill making them useless. Other than that if they are solid then they are good for construction.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Don P

I've been wandering around in my Father in Laws old Wood Handbook '55 edition ( 2 bucks!) and looked up hemlock. Western was listed as a furniture wood, eastern just said lumber, crates and such. But if it looks good go for it. I didn't know you guys had it down there? Are they canadian or carolina?

Thank You Sponsors!