iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset problems

Started by farmerdoug, January 25, 2007, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

Well yesterday after on and off problems my Accuset finally died.  I am still cutting with the scale while Woodmizer is putting together an upgrade for my mill.  It is going to cost me about $1400 so I am postponing my LogRite arch purchase for a little while to say the least.  This makes me spending with Woodmizer this week over 2000 grand with the blades I ordered eariler this week.

My big question is has anyone here upgraded their Accuset before?  Woodmizer is sending a stack of instructions and I am sure they will be on hand at the phone if needed but was just wondering on your experiences.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Percy

Heya Doug.
I have a 2003 LT70 and did the upgrade myself back in 03. I cant remember the specifics but recall that it wasnt that hard. Mine was warranty as the mill was only a couple months old when it calfed.  BIbby was the expert and I think he gave me the confidence to do it. Give him a ring or wait till he reads your post. Im sure he'll step up. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bibbyman

If you've never upgraded your Accuset from 2001 then there is likely a pot full of parts to change out and rewire.  Far too many things to even get into here on the Forum and I'm sure I couldn't remember all of them. I think it took Mary and me about four hours and a couple of phone conversations with Sparks to get that upgrade in.  Just go methodically though the detailed instructions provided and have your cell phone handy to get Sparks on the line when needed.

But if you're just putting in a new display panel in the Command Station, that just takes a few minutes to remove 8-10 screws and unplug three wiring harness and pop in a new unit. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norm

I did the upgrade on my 2001 mill also. It is not real difficult but you want to pay close attention to the instructions. I had Patty help with double checking and if I remember right it was a 3 hour job. My best advice would be to do it during normal business hours at WM so you can call if you get stuck on a part of it.

farmerdoug

Well I bought the mill last year and the Amish guy never updated it so it is the whole job I guess.  I will definitly do it during Woodmizer business hours too.  Ron from Woodmizer said there is three steps to be done in order and there is a pile of instructions too.  I guess I will sit down the evening before I do it and read the instructions to get a feel for the job.  Thanks for the input.  It helps knowing you are not breaking new ground here on the Forum.  At least I will have the Accuset manual when I am done as I never received the old one when I bought the mill. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

LeeB

Read the instructions first? I never tried that. I always wait till I've broken and lost a few parts. :D :D :D Good luck to ya. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

farmerdoug

At $1400 I don't think so! :o

Well the upgrade parts came this morning but with the snow and cold I think it will wait until next week. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Warren

FD,

Ron from WM talked me thru trouble shooting a prblem with my mill back in December. He was sharp.  Had the correct new part to me by 10:30am the next morning.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Furby

They are calling for the coldest weather yet, around here for next week Doug.
Might just wanna give it a shot later today while it's still sorta warm and just keep the puter logged in here for any needed help.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Furby on January 27, 2007, 12:01:35 AM
They are calling for the coldest weather yet, around here for next week Doug.
Might just wanna give it a shot later today while it's still sorta warm and just keep the puter logged in here for any needed help.

It'd sure be nice to be able to pull it into a heated garage to work on.  I've had to work on our mill (and a lot of other things) in the cold, wind, mud, etc. and it's no fun.
Sawing since '94

farmerdoug

Went to the woods this morning to drop a few trees and cut the tops up for firewood.  After lunch I went out the mill to see were I would start the upgrade since it was a little warm today(32°F).  I turned on the mill and checked the Accuset and low and befold it is working fine.  Sawed for 4 hours with no problems at all.   8) 8)

Now I am sure if I sent the upgrade back the mill will act up.  ::) :D So I am keeping the upgrade for future replacement.  The Accuset has given me problems off and on but never this bad.  I will do the upgrade when it warms up more unless it goes out sooner.  At least I do not have to cut wires and crimp wires in the cold I hope. 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Bibbyman

Quote from: farmerdoug on January 27, 2007, 05:12:04 PM
  I turned on the mill and checked the Accuset and low and befold it is working fine.  Sawed for 4 hours with no problems at all.   8) 8)

Farmerdoug

See..  The Accuset was just being smart.  It know it was too cold to saw.  ;D
Sawing since '94

Hi-Country Orange

hi farmerdoug: earlier this fall i had accuset problems, saying check transducer & or just not liteing up, after throwing many new parts at it (which wm did stand behind) they sent me a part which was supposed to give the accuset more stable current/voltage & it has been working great every since. if i can help in any way contact me      8)

farmerdoug

HCO,

I have the full blown upgrade package from Woodmizer sitting on my workbench.  I assume that it probably includes the filter you are talking about.  I will at some point in the future be installing the upgrade.  I will definitly keep you in mind when I do it.  As will I the others that have offered help too.

Thanks,

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

LeeB

I'll help you, but you'll have to read me the instructions first. :D :D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

farmerdoug

I have read the instructions already. ;)  That is why I am glad it can now wait until a warmer day.  8) Believe me at $1400 I do read the instructions first. :o ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Hi-Country Orange

according to an old high school teach i had you were only supposed ta read them things if all else failed 
                          :D   8)   8)

sparks

If at any point you have to puse because something isn't clear, call me.  While your at the mill I can get you back on track. You don't want to hook something up wrong and burn out a new board.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Warren

FD,

Any chance that it was cold, like single digits when your accuset had it's problem ?  Reason for asking: I have had two occassions when the computer on my mill won't fire up, in the 5 to 10 deg F range.  After warming up a little, the the computer fires up O.K.  No problem with engine start. But the engine is useless without the controls for the mill.

I called WM, this morning.  The tech indicated it might be a prblem with the control board.  But,  for $800, I can hang a trouble light under it on the cold mornings before I start....

I thought the guys "Up North" were sawing in much colder weather, even with the Accuset...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warren on January 29, 2007, 09:01:55 PM
FD,

Any chance that it was cold, like single digits when your accuset had it's problem ?  Reason for asking: I have had two occassions when the computer on my mill won't fire up, in the 5 to 10 deg F range.  After warming up a little, the the computer fires up O.K.  No problem with engine start. But the engine is useless without the controls for the mill.

I called WM, this morning.  The tech indicated it might be a prblem with the control board.  But,  for $800, I can hang a trouble light under it on the cold mornings before I start....

I thought the guys "Up North" were sawing in much colder weather, even with the Accuset...

Warren

Might it be a combination of cold and humidty?
Sawing since '94

Hi-Country Orange

warren: i'm not exactly up north but on the avg. there is only 60-70 days a year that it doesn't drop down to freezing at night, & my accuset has been working good all day
                                                                                                                  8) 8)

BBTom

I had a problem with mine yesterday,  It was about 17°F and every time I loaded or turned a big log the Accuset would reboot. 

Yea..I know... I was trying to get another winter from that battery.  I felt sorry for the Accuset, and not wanting it to get too upset with me, I broke down and went to see Intersate Battery by noon.  90 bucks later all is well..  I did get almost 3 years out of it, and with the beating a battery takes trying to run a super, I am happy with that.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Warren

BBTom,

The WM tech asked that I try to boot the Accuset in the accessory position "before" heating the glow plugs and starting the engine.  He thought it might be battery drain as well.  But once fired up, it seems to be 'ok" for the rest of the day.

We will see here in a short bit.

Warren

Thank You Sponsors!