iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

circular saw hammering

Started by woody1, January 25, 2007, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

anyone know where to buy saw hammering videos, books, or other info ?
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Jeff

I don't know of such a thing or I would have them. Its always been an apprenticeship type of trade where you learn from a sawdoc what and when he wants to teach you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

There is a short description in the old Disston handbook for lumbermen. It won't make you a hammerman. Or it didn't make me one  :).

Ron Wenrich

How much leg work do you want to do.  Lake Erie & Ontario Sawfilers Assn. used to sponsor workshops on hammering saws.  I'm not sure if they still do this, so here's their website:

http://www.sawyersandfilers.org/index.htm

Go to their links page and you will come up with a couple of saw doctors.  Casey Cramer writes articles in the Northern Logger about circle saws.  He seems like the kind of guy that would give you all types of information about seminars, schools and where to get tools.  I'm kinda surprised he doesn't have a video.   :D  His link is:

http://www.senecasaw.com/

There's also a Northeastern Sawfilers Education Assn.  That seems like a good place to send a few requests.  Here's their link:

http://www.northeastsawfilers.com/index.php

If there isn't anyone that can give you the information about hammering saws, then I think it must be a lost art. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Captain

I'm spending some time in the shop whith the guys hammering my swingmill blades.  Got to watch them on a large (48 or 52" ) blade last week for a bit.

I've found no information other than an old Hanchett publication that I own, and it only has about 4 pages of sketchy detail.  About enough to scare you out of doing it without an apprenticeship.

My vendor is a really nice guy, he knows I'm the inquisitive engineer type, and he puts up with me anyways  :D

Captain

sawguyver

There are a series of books printed in 1923 (Audels carpenters and builders guide 1 thru 4). There are 4 books in total and book 1 chapter 13 has 30 pages on circle saw blades.
It's a good explanation but I have never tried it. The articals might be on the net somewhere but Ive never searched.

woody1

Thanks a million for all the info...very helpfull !!!

Coon

I have a book in pdf that is all about running a circular mill.  It has a section on hammering blades.  If you would like I could send you a copy.  The book is called Circular Sawmills and Their Efficient Operation.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

TexasTimbers

Or you can download it HERE like I did. It's an outstanding resource for a novice like me. I will definately read it agin before I start running mine.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JimBuis

Quote from: sawguyver on January 26, 2007, 09:22:19 AM
There are a series of books printed in 1923 (Audels carpenters and builders guide 1 thru 4). There are 4 books in total and book 1 chapter 13 has 30 pages on circle saw blades.
It's a good explanation but I have never tried it. The articals might be on the net somewhere but Ive never searched.

The Audel books are available through Lee Valley for $27.95.

www.leevalley.com

Do an Item Search for Audel and you will see them.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

woody1

Thanks for all your help. I built a saw leveling mandrel, and now working on a saw table with anvil. I got a copy of the Audel book, which is great. I hope to go to the saw hammering clinic in NY in Feb.. I purchased an old American circular saw mill this summer and have it almost ready to go. I hope to start pounding after the clinic.
Thanks again !!

Don P

Take a camera!  8)
We'll be wanting your video when it comes out  ;D

Snag

woody1 - wondering if you mind sharing the info on the clinic?

Buzz-sawyer

Hammering a saw blad is not as difficult as it may seem, the first thing needed is an understanding of the way tension is dispersed and affected in the operation of a blade.....a ball peen hammer and a large wood stump are sufficient to fix a blade....its not THAT hard.....really :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woody1

Snag, The seminar is Feb 24th in Jamesville, NY, just outside of Syracuse. The web site is www.sawyersandfiler.org. I got an e-mail from them and the cost is $100.00 for members and $115.00 for non members.
Buzz-Sawyer, I have been doing alot of research on saw pounding and I have to admit that's the first I've heard of the old ballpeen-stump trick. I'll giver a try on my 54 incher and let ya know.  ??? ;)

dail_h

Shoooot Buzz, just give me the ball oein hammer,don't need no stump ta "fix" a saw.
   After seeing a coupla saws get crazy,aint no way I'm gonna run one "I" been hammerin on,nope,no way uhuh no,ain't happenin,naw ,not me.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ron Wenrich

I don't think I've seen a ball peen hammer in my saw doc's tool kit.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but if the pros don't use it, neither am I. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Snag

By no means am I going to attest to the quality of the end result, but my father told me stories of my grandfather owning some sort of pto driven mill and that is exactly how he tensioned his blades.  Hammer and stump. 

Thanks woody1 - I think I might call and chat with someone there about it.  I always like to be as self sufficient as possible, but man not sure if the retensioning is something I want to screw up. 

Coon

I used the ball pien hammer to hammer a mill blade last summer.  I had helped hammer a real bad one by a real experienced sawyer.  I helped to get acurate measurements with a tape measure and calipers.  Then I held the blade steady on a large wooden cookie nailed to a short section of log stood on end.  It kinda looked like a table. ;)  After making several marks with a felt marker we found where it needed to be hammered and did just that, put it on and found we needed to hammer it a bit more to be accurate.  Rehammered and put it back on and sawed the rest of the afternoon.  The saw was a 54".  It's still sawing fine as we speak.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawmill_john

I have known several saw hammer men over the years, I'm sure if they read this post they would be cringing or maybe seeing $$$.  I don't think a ball peen hammer is the correct hammer for any hammer job, not to say it wouldn't work in a pinch.   There many different kinds of hammer weights and face types, all for specific uses.    I am very consious of the safety factors having heard stories of mishaps.   :o  I would not want to be running a saw and have it break a part during a cut. 

TexasTimbers

Well, I can honestly say I don't know a thing about it, but if guys have been hammering them successfully for years with ball peens on a stump why would it be considered unproven ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woody1

This forum has been very helpfull to me. I have purchased a $250.00 doghead hammer, a circular blade mandrel with gauge, and a saw hammering table. Still need an anvil, a cross face hammer, and a tensioning gauge. So as you can see, I'm trying to learn this correctly. I am sure sawyers have done alot of things to get them out of a bind, but from my research it gets pretty complicated. I'll let you know how the clinic goes. Shoot, maybe they will just have a stump and a ball peen there. ??? Thanks again..hope to see some of you there in New York.

Buzz-sawyer

Sounds good woody,
I have seen peach's set up at menominee saw and the table he pounded on and the hammers he used,and was impressed with it....but the best tool in his shop is the pounder.....being able to understand the saw is 95%of the battle.......

, and I have also seen the hillbilly that showed me how to hammer a blade on a stump.....how to identify the problem, and relieve tension, add tension or find a bulge...whatever.....
You are entitled to pursue your craft to the full extent of your hearts desires.....and I wish you the best in it,
The uneducated hillbilly up the road from me using a large elm stump and several inexpesive hammers can do amazing things....some of which I can also do (being a good monkey....monkey see ...monkey do)
And I am not even serious about it ;)
But I am serious about cutting good lumber....and the 60 inch blade on my mill...(which I also built and maintain),as several members on this forum can attest it will stands up straight enough that you cannot tell it is moving at top rpms....my point???
I think you should buy everthing you can get your hands on for your plans, but just because people may not have the same equipment....asside from the hammers....does not mean that they cannot build, maintain and run a sawmill safely and efficiently from scratch :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WH_Conley

Gee Buzz, ya was talkin about the uneducated hillbilly, thought it was me, then sounded like he knew what he was doin, knew you wasn't talkin about me then. :D :D

Where ya been, aint hered much from ya lately?
Bill

Buzz-sawyer

Hi WH!
I have been a workin....plenty!
Just got to missin my fellow curmugeonly codgers on this forum , so had to put 2-3 cents out there ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!