iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boeing Dreamliner parts

Started by beenthere, January 25, 2007, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Got holt of a pic of fuselage parts of the new Boeing 787 plane being loaded into a Boeing  747-400, and bound for assembly. Thought the size of the lift would be interesting to y'all, as they are stuffing these parts into the tailend of the 747.   :o

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dana

Pretty cool how the tail of the 747 swings out of the way for loading.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

beenthere

Dana
Here is a close-up of the tail opening on the 747.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I was reading how Boeing modified a couple of 747's for bringing parts together for their dreamliner project. The picture reminded me of the one airbus uses. Was this one of those beenthere?

DR Buck

Looks like an easy conversion to convert one of them into a kiln chamber.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

Norm
This is the 747-400 modified to haul the 787 (read a note that it's flying around Seattle now, passing some FAA tests before it can fly these parts to SC for assembly). Soon it may well be flying over your IA heads.  :)
Not sure about the Airbus, but have heard that there is a super huge Russian plane that is kept busy hauling especially large cargo around the world. Offhand, don't remember what it was hauling but seemed it was in and out of the Midwest somewhere in recent months. It's the biggest available.
The big Airbus isn't getting off the ground, due to mfg problems and delays (one being moving its large fuselage sections by trucking them through the narrow streets of small French villages, with only about 6" to spare on either side). Shuts each village down for hours every time a piece is moved from one mfg point to the Toulouse assembly area. Their problems are causing quite a boom to the Boeing sales, I hear.
south central Wisconsin

blaze83

I know for a time the big airbus plane was being used to carry the GE, Pratt and RolsRoyce engines for the Boeing 777, it was the only plane big enough, not sure if they still use it or not, it's been years since I've worked there so I've kinda lost track of what they are doing
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Gary_C

Some of us can still remember flying around in one of those 707's.    :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

707's!?  I remember flying on DC-3's! :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Ya, me too DanG. I just couldn't remember what it was called.   :D

beenthere

Yep DanG.  
They had lotsa power when they needed it. But they were like a leaf in the wind most the time I remember.  :)
south central Wisconsin

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

They would still be better than making circles over Chicago in a twin prop company plane and then getting fed into the landing pattern between two 727's. Talk about a leaf in the wind, more like a feather.  :)

And while that was going on, my boss was in the back fleecing the company president in a poker game!  :D

Norm

Very early in my company days I had the pleasure of flying on a DC-3. What a great airplane, big comfy seats too. Much different than being stuck on a dc-10 for 4 hours in the middle seat of the middle row. :D

Murf

I think the big Russian plane you're talking about is the An-225.

With a payload of more than 550,000 pounds it's a big bird!  :o

Anatov An-225 info from Wikipedia

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beenthere

Yep Murf
Dat's da one.
Bigun fer sure.  :)  Nice comparison chart shown at that site.  Some things were done to modify the Boeing 747-400 on three of them to handle the chores of flying 787 assemblies around the world for more assembly. Not sure what, but it was mentioned in the Seattle Herald article I read.
I've some interest, as my youngest son is designing doors for the new 787, and he's excited about the closeness of production.

My first DC-3 rides were where the seats were sideways, and your back was against the windows. Later they put forward facing seats in, and that was an improvement. Walked uphill to board them and find your seat. Only passed out gum to the passengers.  :)  Prolly don't get even that now.
south central Wisconsin

submarinesailor

My first flight was on one of the old Connies.  Headed for Great Lakes for Boot Camp.

Bruce

beenthere

North Central Airlines?  or Ozark? :)
south central Wisconsin

Slabs

Hey beenthere.  That DC-3 with the seat backs against the windows is better known as a C-47.  Can't quite remember the feel of the yoke on that one.

And Sub man;  my first "ride" in a DC-3 was from Meridian, Ms. and Ft. Polk, La.  My introduction into military life.

I was gonna chunk in a blurb about the Trimotor but- forget it.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

DanG

Slabs, I flew on that same Gooney Bird from New Orleans to Ft. Puke.  Tree Top Airlines, right? :D :D :D

Oh yeah, that was in March of 1967, just about 40 years ago. :o :o  Those planes were only about 30 years old at that time.  The 727s were out already, and they're older than that, now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandmar

Worked at Lockheed on the C5-B project,they actually knelt down on the front end so a light was not needed. It was pretty coolto see in operation. They were also drive through....nose flipped up and tail/belly section let down. Side note.....boy I hated that job  :-\
Sandmar

Slabs

Waaal now there DanG

I figgered I'd get a rise out of you on that one.  Yep, same old Trans Texas.  I flew 'em again in 1976 from Memphis to Texarkana to pick up a new Huey at Red River Depot.  That Time they had Viscount turboprops.  I think they actually had some DC-9's by that time on the longer shuttles.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!