iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Discovery’s Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe - Barrel making and logging with mules.

Started by Bibbyman, January 24, 2007, 06:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Did anyone catch Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe last evening?  (Jan 23, 2007)

First they did oak barrel making and that was interesting.

Then they did logging with mules.  Man oh' man!  I could see the fear on Mike's face!  And he should have been.  Letting a novice fell trees is a bit scary but I could not see any sign of any kind of safety equipment on anyone.

Then the skidding with mules was a lot more dangerous looking than necessary.   :o

Looks like they're going to replay this episode a few more times in the next few days.

Here is a link to their schedule.

Discovery's Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Saki

Yep, I caught it, and nope, didn't see so much as an earplug or safety glasses on anyone, let alone chaps or a hardhat system. Knew we would be in for either laughs or a catastrophe when Mike said something about the the mule being perhaps the strongest, and definitely the carziest in the state of Tennessee. I did wonder why they switchd from the very docile " team " of mules they started with and put on the single big mule. Looked like he thought that the instant he believe the tongs were on the log, that he should become a 4 legged furry rocket. Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

Engineer

I'd have given up mule logging after one day if I had to work with a bunch of crazy animals like that.  And I don't mean just the mules.   :(  That was sure a recipe for disaster.

Michigan Mike

I don't know how many members get RFD tv. If you do they had short segment on horse and ox logging on the rural heritage program. This guy was much calmer than the guys on the dirty jobs show. His safety equipment was much better also. He had chainsaw chaps and helmet with ear protection and safety shield. Never saw a chainsaw though  ???. RFD usually runs these programs many times so you might be able to catch it at a later date.

Rockn H

Don't everybody get Rural Free Delivery TV? :D  If you don't have sat. and your local cable supplier doesn't have it, call'em and ask why.  They are starting to show up in more cable markets and it's one channel you don't have to worry about what your kids are watching.  And no I have no financial interest in the company. :)

Oh by the way, I saw that episode.  Rural heritage and campfire cooking are two of my favorites. ;D

Bibbyman

We check out RFD-TV pretty often.  There are a couple of show we like.  But we're not into horses so about 80% of the time we keep looking.  180 channels and nothing on but junk.  >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!