iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheapskate Sawmillin

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 23, 2007, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

This is my logging arch. I went to the end of the logs, poked it under the end, tilted it up, and chained it. Then, tied the dolly to my 4-wheeler, and skidded the logs to the mill. It handled a 14" x 12' Pine log nicely.

Then, I had to somehow fasten the logs to the log bunkers, so they would not roll. So, I made out of scrap this device. Held down with screws, with 14.4 volt battery drill.

Here you see where the log goes. After placing the log, you take a hammer, and drive the bunker blocks sideways into the log, and screw them down.

I really need to get some good log dogs, but hey, I milled a big pine this way.

Then, I went into the house and built a birdhouse, out of a miscut piece of 3/4" x 8" x 12' x 1/2" (at the other end!)Well, actually 1/2 of it. The other half my son took and screwed to his wall above his bed, so he could screw his collection of deer antlers to it.

Pics of birdhouse and antler rack may come later.

That's all folks!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Dan_Shade

that's a good idea.

I've used lag screws to use an alaskan jig many times. 

improvision is what sets us apart from the yuppies!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Nate Surveyor

I might add...

My son is 7 yrs old. We are having fun.
And I am not all that thrilled with the log holding devices I have seen. I am working on a good design that is made of steel, with an aluminum frow on top, to dig into the log. So, I am doing my testing and experimenting with wood.

Guy yesterday gave me some nice big pine logs. And some walnut. And some red oak. I have alot to learn. And one thing I think is that a tractor is in my future.

How big of a tractor will lift a 4000# (2 ton) log?

Thanks,

Nate

59Billy

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 23, 2007, 10:06:37 PM

improvision is what sets us apart from the yuppies!

Yeah!

Not that I have anything against the folks who can afford the cool toys, but I love seeing ideas that are more cheapskate-friendly. Sure, I'd love to get me a Woodmiser, and a 660, and a Bobcat, and... but at some point, I have to remember that I got into this to save money, and to turn a few logs into furniture.

mike_van

Nate, I use an IH 574 [about 52 hp] for everything, I move 24"+ 16' dia oak logs on the 3ph forklift I built.   Its got 18.4x26 rear tires, it does all I ask it to.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dan_Shade

you can typically lift a lot more with the lift arms than you can a loader.  I'm also not against dragging a really big one!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Nate,

A simple and cost effective way to hold your logs in to place is to cut some 5" wide square edge notches in your bunks.  The log will sit there as you mill it.

I milled 110 Pine 8X8 this way for an order.  I have been milling with my swinger for 2 years now and have not used any dogging mechanisim other than gravity.  I was convinced that I needed something and bought a set of the steel Peterson's log dogging clamps.  I have never used them. 

If you are interested let me know and I will sell them to you real cheap.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

4woody

now this is the Cheapskate saw millin all the steal was free the saw only cost 100$

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nate Surveyor

Ga_Boy,

I will seriously try the 5" cut outs. And place some teeth in the bottom.

But, I'd like your Dogs. I'm gonna be milling some odd shaped pieces. I will need some kind of Dogs.

How much$?

My email is in my profile.

Nate

Mr Mom

While we are on the subject how come when you build somthing and it didnt cost alot of money or didnt come from a company people call you cheap??

Just a thought.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

Tom

Not all do, Mr. Mom.  I call you Creative and Frugile.  Generally, when I see someone  has made something themselves, whether they reused stuff or not, I admire them a lot more than I do the guy who just plunked down the dollars.

Unfortunately, many of us don't have the knack for fabrication that many of you do.

I sit here, read and clap my hands.  :)

beenthere

Not "cheap", except maybe from envy.

Thrifty, energetic, industrious, creative, ingenious, intuitive, and ambitious.  Those come to mind.  :)

(Tom beat me to it, but will post anyhow.... :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mr Mom

I built a set of steps for the front porch and it was to be there until i could get the good treated stuff from the big box store well after three years and told to many times that my steps were cheap i replaced them and spent over $100 bucks and them everyone complained about the price. I cant win for losing.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom the cheapskate.

SwampDonkey

I don't 'normally' condemn anyone for being industrious and inventive either. Sometimes I wonder about their safety, then I'm into 'abnormal' mode. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Read the Aesop's fable about the Man and boy taking their Donkey and goods to market.  It's a great "you can't please everybody" story. :D

pineywoods

I'm proud to be called "frugal" and "cheap".  But then my ancestors were mostly scottish ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Long live the Bruce.  :D 8)

Ed_K

4woody thats the koolest idea and I have all them parts too  ;D .
Ed K

newbietech

Hey Nate,

In regards to holding your logs in place, Peterson EZ Dogs are what you want.

They are really basic in design. They slide and clamp onto your skids/bunks then the tips stab into your log to give a firm grip, ur log aint going no where ;). The tips are made of Aluminium so this will save your blade(s) from serious damage,  worse case scenario, you would only have to re-tip your blade.

For more information go to: http://www.petersonsawmills.com/press_releases_ezdogs.html

Regards,

Luke

Luke

Technical Support

P&B Engineering Ltd
15 Hyland Cresent
PO Box 10078
Rotorua, New Zealand
Phone / Fax:     +64 7 343 9375
lemery@petersonsawmills.com
www.petersonsawmills.com

Fla._Deadheader

When I get the rare opportunity to saw small (er) logs, I use the 8 X 9's with the 5" (approx) SQUARE cut notches. Hold anything I need held.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Radar67

With the 5" notches, you can get right down to the bunk.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Captain

I sell dogs, but I'll be the first to tell you I don't use them very often.  Check this link to an article somebody we know wrote:

Keeping the logs in place

Here's the whole article:

Sawing with a Swingmill

Captain

lmbeachy

This is my cheapskate way of milling, not a production mill like the big orange machines, but works very well for the hobbyist.

hotfoot

lmbeachy

Opps; didn't get the pictures posted

hotfoot

Thank You Sponsors!