iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20 HP Honda winter probs - SOLVED!!!

Started by Jason_WI, January 23, 2007, 12:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_WI

Me and my dad finally got sick of the 20 HP Honda winter performance on my Lumbermate 2000. For it to run in the winter or below 30 F the choke would have to be partially on. This robbed power and would eventually flood the base with gas and require frequent oil changes. Stupid California emmissions requirements has this engine running too lean

We took the carb off the engine and completly took it apart. We figured out where the main jet was and drilled it out one size bigger using number drill set. Put the carb back on.

Started the engine up. Now it doesn't require the choke to be partially on. When the throttle is let go at the end of a cut the engine now smoothly slows down to idle without sputtering out or backfiring. Finally made a motor out of this Honda. I was ready to smash this motor with a sledge hammer before doing this modification.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

ely

rekon whatits gonna do when it warms up this summer, cause it runs fine for me in the warmer weather. it just takes me sometime to warm it up in the winter then it works fine then too.

logwalker

I say it will run just fine on a hot day too. You were just outside the clean running envelope. Now you are right in the middle. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Captain

I disliked my 24hp so much, I replaced it with a Kohler.  No more V twin Hondas for me. 

I don't have any problem, however, with my 13hp Hondas.  They don't seem to be as prone to the icing issues.

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

Both my 20HP and 24 HP Honda's run fine. Cold weather don't affect either one.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Costa Rica Cold and New England Cold have very different definitions....

Fla._Deadheader

Craig, when ya comin down and show me how you "Run" up and down these logs ???

First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

With the weather in the last couple of weeks, it is not going to take much to convince me.  A "working" vacation in CR right not sounds great :)  Come to think of it, most of my vacations are "working"  ::)

pasbuild

I can't begin ta tell ya how excited I am to read your post Jason, I have been fightin my honda 20 on my LM2000 for 5or 6 years now. for the last few years I made sure I got all the logs in the yard cut before deer season and just covered up the mill for the winter.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

sawguy21

The Hondas and other makes have some cold weather issues. The end of the breather tube from the valve cover tends to ice up in the air box, causing high oil consumption. I have seen the crank seals pushed out of their seats from excessive crankcase pressure. Remove the tube from the air box and let it hang free, cover the a/b opening with duct tape.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jason_WI

pasbuild,

I do most of my cutting in the winter so this was a real pain having to constantly run with the choke on and the many re-starts of the engine after a cut . Then amount of material that was removed from the jet was so small but yet made a huge difference in the way this motor runs. This should not affect summer performance at all. Heck even in the summer I had to keep the choke on slightly for this motor to run right.

Why would a respectible company as Honda put out a motor that didn't run in cold weather and barely ran in warm weather???

Fla._Deadheader,

The only cold weather you have down there is when you open the fridge to grab a cold beer. ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

ladylake

Jason  Good going!  That would be the EPA causing the problem.  Half of the new saws run way to lean out of the box, the lucky ones get adjusted the unlucky ones burn up. I might heve to bore the main jet on 6.5 Brigs hyd motor as it likes to kill once in awhile when it's cold.  Runs great when it;s warm.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Weekend_Sawyer

My 20hp runs fine after warming up down to about 30 deg, after that it tends to stall out when you let off at the end of a cut. It idles down too much. I have to take the air filter assy off to get to the idle adjustment. Kindof a pain, wish they would have made it easier to access. Anyway, much colder than 20 deg and I don't work well.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

Craig, I promise to not work you too much. Might move to the BIG Ojoche this weekend.  8) 8)

Cold down here = Fresco.  Reina makes lots of deeelicious fruit drinks, in the blender using crushed ice to cool it. Kind of a "Slushee".  Lately she uses "Star Fruit" (Carambola), and Lemon mixed. MMMmmmmmmmmm
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

Judging by pictures of your latest stature, we should all take cooking lessons from Reina.  I did not know the real name of "star fruit".  We used to get them at Christmas as kids.

Captain

treebucker

Jason_WI,
I have been following posts about this problem for some time. Glad to hear positive results for a change. I've read another post somewhere where the guy drilled his out. I'm also very curious how well it will do in warm weather...will it need readjusting for the change of seasons?

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 23, 2007, 11:36:33 PM
The Hondas and other makes have some cold weather issues. The end of the breather tube from the valve cover tends to ice up in the air box, causing high oil consumption. I have seen the crank seals pushed out of their seats from excessive crankcase pressure. Remove the tube from the air box and let it hang free, cover the a/b opening with duct tape.

sawguy21,
Honda came out with a winter kit for their 20hp engine. I don't know how it worked. Based on what you are saying, and what I've read elsewhere about the carb icing up,  it seems the engine needs warm air fed into it from the exhaust manifold to control icing.

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

pasbuild

The cold weather kit consists of a formed peice of metal plate that covers the top of the muffler and runs out over the top of the motor deflecting  the warm air towards the carb and a plastic cover that gos over the air intake on the side of the motor. The kit is of SOME use in temps of 30 to around 5 -10 but it is NOT THE FIX.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Corley5

My 24hp Honda doesn't like temps in the mid thirties.  Above or below and it's fine.  I figure there are icing issues somewhere.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Captain

Corley, you nailed it.  About 40 degrees and any moisture in the air, it starts.  Continues down to about 28 degrees.  Idles, but not well, under that.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!