iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I'm Working On Now! / merged topic

Started by SwampDonkey, December 30, 2006, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here is a pencil sketch of my new desk I'm working on this week.

Click for larger view (100 kb)

The desk bottom is 48"+2"(bread board) long x 30" deep x 28-7/8" tall

Top is 32"+3"(molding) tall x 48" long x 12" deep, top is removable.

Going to use biscuit joints on the desk top and side panels.

Using more butternut and ash this time.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I have modified the drawing a bit, the placing of the drawer guides on the left half of the desk had to be lowered to the bottom edge of each drawer, because of the drawer slide system I chose. The boxed in sides of the desk are extended down to the 3 " turned feet.

Going to make shavings tomorrow from plaining. Might get to turning the legs (6). I have some almost perfect butternut boards for the desk top. Had to dig them out from underneath 3 feet of cherry.  :D 8) 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

You may want to make only 4 legs OR cut the two center ones 1/4" or so shorter.
It's really hard to get a desk with more then 4 legs to sit steady, more so in an old house.

Furby

Also, I'm trying to figure out why you have the recessed area over the desktop offset from the area you would place a stool or chair?

SwampDonkey

You are very right about the # of legs Furby and uneven floors. I need to cogitate a little more on that design. I think I will make the main drawers a little narrower to 18 " wide instead of 22-1/4"

The top section that sets on top of the desk is only 12 " deep Furby and the desk top is 30" deep. The half above the main drawers is where a printer sets, plus I have about 15 inches of free space to sit books and papers in front.

Modifying ;)

Furby

Now I'm following ya!
My Grandpa made a desk for my Grandma to keep some of her sewing stuff in. Used 6 legs and had some trouble with it on their old floor so he trimmed the two middle legs.
At one point my Grandma upgraded her sewing stuff and didn't have room for the desk so it was given to me to keep it in the family.
Brought it over to my place and couldn't keep it level no matter how hard I tried. Had to trim off a bit more from those legs, but it really don't show. ;)

Furby

Leave the drawers as wide a ya want.
Use a nice solid piece across the back.
Between the back and the top, the drawers should be just fine, with or without the center legs.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I did narrow the drawers up a bit to 18" from 22-1/4". I like more maneuvering space under the desk (side <--> side). What I'm going to do is have a petition come down the back and front, but not to the floor. This will be boxed in on the side next to where you sit.  Four feet is not a very long span for 7/8" thick hardwood, I don't expect any sag since there is a 4" wide mold along the front. 

SwampDonkey

Lengthened the table another 6" + 2" (end bread boarding), wasn't quite wide enough for a good sized chair I have envisioned for that space.  ;D

pigman

That top is not going to be big enough. :( Don't forget that you will need enough room for all of your junk work and some food. Mine is 72" X  30" with a 20" x 24" pullout shelf and it is still too small for everything.  ::) I suppose I could remove something from on the desk, but it will not be the food. ;D  My desk top does not have breadboard ends since I was afraid they would just remind me of food.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Yes, true. But, part of the scene here is that I have a desk/counter already 80" x 22" beside the new desk to be built. Then another desk on the opposite side about the same dimensions and it still ain't enough.  ;D ;D :D :D

PineNut

Don't you know that no matter how much space you have, your needs will expand to exceed it. That is my problem also.

SwampDonkey

Well, I planed lumber for 3 hours, not sure I have enough yet.   ::)

Planed butternut

Planed ash

Got a nice pile of shavings though. :D :D

Barrel is full to. ;D

Nice stuff for starting fire in the mornings. ;)

metalspinner

Those are some beautiful boards.  Your project is a great place to store them for the next 100+ years. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

horn_smiley                               horn_smiley

I turned the 4 legs today and the two mid braces of the desk. I also dovetailed them. On the second leg, the dovetail bit snapped in the ash, so off to the store. Hard stuff that ash.  ::) I also experimented a bit with my Craftsman Pro biscuit jointer. First time I had it out of the box since I bought it in 2001.  ::) It's pretty idiot proof to operate, just have to be sure of the depth you want, trying to centre it in the piece. There is a guage to set which biscuit size your using. I'm using #20's. I will begin to box in the desk tomorrow if the dovetail bit holds up. Need to plane some more butternut for the back side of the desk and the shelfing that mounts on top. The side pieces need dovetailing on the ends and biscuit jointed on the edges. Takes time ya know. ;D

Violin_smiley

pigman

My Porter- Cable biscuit  joiner was not idiot proof. :( I knocked it off the table and broke the depth stop. I had to make a home made stop that almost works. ::)

Bob the idiot

SwampDonkey

Now how was I gonna cut the dovetails on those long boards? Aside from climbing into the loft of the barn and clamping the piece to a joint, I had to figure out a jig for the purpose.  ;D ::)

Now it turns out, it wasn't so hard to come up with a proper jig. Although, I do not recommend it for the inexperienced tool user. If using this method make sure you wear eye protection as the chips/sawdust will fly up/exit from the dovetail. Also, be wary of wear your feet are planted and be sure your legs are not in the path of the router as it descends down the work piece. Hold the router flush with the end of the jig and workpiece and keep the router fence flush/square with the jig edge. I keep a foot on the bench to keep it from moving, a heavier secure bench is recommended. Lots of multi tasking, not for the inexperienced. ;D

I setup on a Craftsman work bench that you can clamp the work piece with using cranks. Use sacrificial pieces on each end to keep from marking/scaring the work piece. The jig is nothing more than a couple squared pieces of wood with the same dimensions and thickness. It is nailed with space enough to place the work piece into. The edge of the jig is flush with the end of the board and the jig also provides stability and extends beyond the width of the board (up<--> down) to stop the router from rounding over the edges as the fence of the router passes beyond the work piece.

A better view of the jig setup.

The finished dovetail.

I've used that little craftsman bench to make a lot of stuff. I got it for Christmas one year, many moons ago and first thought I'de never use it. Boy, was I wrong.  ;)

pigman

Looks like that would work S D. I am not as talented as you are so if the board is not too long I run it vertical on my home made router table with a high fence. I can't multi task very well with a one track mind.

Bob

SwampDonkey

No pics tonight, but I have been gluing and sanding and biscuit jointing my boards together. I have to bring parts up to the house to connect together here. A 4'6" x 29 " long desk is fun trying to squeeze through a space with barely an inch clearance between the door frames. :D :D Haven't sanded the longest section of the back yet. Will be cutting the ash molding for under the top edge of the desk. That reinforces the suspended middle section and helps keep the desk square. Also, there is a brace that secures to the underside of the desk top as well as reduces any movement in the 30 " wide desk surface which is made up of 5 boards. A brace runs down the inside surface of the back piece to reduce movement and help secure the mid section more, and a brace runs from the left side to the middle section to stop side to side movement.

SwampDonkey

Progress pic on the desk.

Remember, I added another 6 inches to the length of the desk and removed the centre legs, since the original sketch.

8)

sandmar

Nice project SD! Keep the pictures coming,I always learn something new from everyone else's ideas.
Sandmar

Paschale

Looking good!

I'm starting to cut out my wood for an end table tonight...may not have anymore time this week to work on it, but hopefully I'll have some pics to add to this thread.  That was one of my new year's resolutions...to finally build myself a piece of furniture.  Your project is getting me fired up to do mine!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Burlkraft

Hey...That's lookin' pretty good there SD.... ;D ;D ;D

I like the clear span....It'll be easy ta clean under... ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

As I said before boys, slow but steady. ;D  8)

I think as much of that butternut as I would a bar of gold. Well, maybe I'de take the gold, but I'de try to keep the desk too. Greedy bugger, eh? :D :D

Norm

It looks great SD, your really making progress on it.

OneWithWood

Coming right along.  It is looking good and I can't wait to see the finished product.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Well last night I got the bread boarding done on the table top. Ever try to slide them dovetails on with glue applied?   hurt_smiley  smiley_crying  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop  ::) ::)

I just about  ....  splitwood_smiley fire_smiley

Well, she was close.....phew!  ;D :D :D

Here are some pics of the top. I see I need to touch up some sanding on the edge of the bread boarding. I see minute banding from the jointer blade. This was after sanding and rubbing with water moistened sponge all day, on the top and bottom sides mostly. Guess I never sanded enough on the edges.  ::)
I was covered in dust from head to foot as fine as wheat flour. Just call me the sandman.   smiley_hardhat

Sanded and just laying on top, not fastened, not finished. I'm going to make and install the drawers first as I don't wanna have to crawl in under a desk to measure and fit drawer slides.  ::) Remember that when building cabinets and desks.  :P

A little closer view. Four boards make the top and they are biscuit jointed and glued together.

Dovetailing of bread boarding.

Text book description of butternut grain:

Gray phase

Gray/brown phase

Cheers  fly_smiley horn_smiley

sprucebunny

That's looking really good  8) 8)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Looking great, Donk!   8)  She's gonna be a beaut!

SwampDonkey

Ok, part of this morning was spent moving and stacking over some lumber so I could get down at some more butternut. The tape finally calved after having 'ticked' it on the spinning table saw blade during a measurement last week.  ::) Had that dang tape for years. So off to the hardware store. Came back and bucked (yes with the chain saw) some more butternut to run through the planer. I hate running really long boards through the planer, so that's my reasoning. ;) I spend the afternoon cutting to length and sanding end grain. I have a few more pieces to cut out, then it's time to fit this puzzle together with all the dowels/biscuit joints.

That's all for now.  ;D

SwampDonkey

I just came from the shop now and finished gluing and clamping the shelfing and petitions together on my desk. Drawers and doors will be made when everything else is in place, jointed and glued. Tomorrow will be spent sanding and measuring for biscuit and dowel cutting if time permits. Sure is a jig saw puzzle, and I have to assemble things in sequence or she won't go together. :D :D You wouldn't believe the amount of wood into that top.  ::)

I didn't take any pictures because it just looks like a pile of very wide boards.

I set a straight piece of steal on top of the desk top surface at different angles and it ain't out a bit. I've got a couple more coats of finish to go on.

SwampDonkey

Top half of upper section to desk. Entirely biscuit jointed.

SwampDonkey

Finished jointing and gluing the bottom half of the upper section. Tomorrow morning I will glue to two sections and clamp in place. Then make the doors and the drawers for the top. :)

Burlkraft

It's lookin' good SD.... ;D ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

I ain't looking forward to lugging that Dang thing up from the shop. Back, don't fail me now.  ::) :D :D :D

Coon!!! Where is that boy when ya need'm.  :D :D

She's all glued up and clamped together. Going to let the glue set and harden a couple days. It doesn't dry fast when in between layers with clearance as thin as a hair or less. :D :D :D It really was a jigsaw puzzle, but it was ok when I figured that an end piece was the 'key' to making it come together.  8) 8) 8)

SwampDonkey

smiley_sun        horn_smiley              horn_smiley         smiley_sun

Assembled top to desk. Still needs little drawers in the 4 pigeon holes, as well as a hanging drawer underneath them. Also, the doors for the cupboard on top.

smiley_smug01

metalspinner

8)
You sure do stick to it!  It would have taken me weeks to get that far. Then I would put off finishing the doors and drawers. ::)

Good Job!

SwampDonkey

Drawers for desk, top section.

-Hanging drawer below pigeon hole drawers.

That piece of wood protruding out the back of the drawer is one of the glides to be mounted on the sidewall.

-Pigeon hole drawer. There are four, two more to glue up and clamp.

pigman

QuoteThat piece of wood protruding out the back of the drawer is one of the glides to be mounted on the sidewall.
My question is why is it protruding out of the back? smiley_headscratch

SwampDonkey

Bob  :D It's just sitting there loose posing for the picture until I get around to mounting it. It runs in that slot and flush with the drawer sides. The width of the drawer is slightly narrower than the space it will sit, so it don't bind from side to side. ;D I intend to rub some wax on the glide as a finishing touch to cut down on friction and wear. ;D I have one like it here on this cedar desk I'm typing at and it's been there for 30 years.   ;)

pigman

Now that makes sense. I was looking at the drawer wrong. I thought the dado was in the back of the drawer. ::)  You are supposed to write in large letters on the drawer, side, back, so I won't get confused. ;D

Bob

SwampDonkey

I think I know what confused you a bit. The two slots above the 4 pigeon holes will be for loose papers or printer paper. No drawers.  ;D I often print 1 or 2 page documents from the internet and like to get my hands on them in close proximity. Only thing is, I usually have to rifle through the whole Dang stack to find the one I want. :D

4woody

SwampDonkey what are you gone use for a finish it looks great so far

SwampDonkey

Varathane® Diamond Water-Based Wood Finish (interior)

It's a hard finish, butternut is rather soft so I wanted a finish to protect the wood from marking.

SwampDonkey

All that is left to cut is my doors for the top section. I have the main drawers of the desk cut out, but not glued up yet. Those drawers are heavy with ash face and sides.  :o I have to do that, and spend some time sanding tomorrow.

SwampDonkey

Desk drawers made of white ash (face,sides), yellow birch (ply) and red oak (ply).

chet

Time constraints have kept me out of my shop this winter.  :'(  But I'm sure da rest of ya have been busy.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

metalspinner

I finally caught up on all my woodworking projects, so I started some shop organization stuff.  A planer stand with drawers and mobile base, some cabinets for above the lathe.  Things like that.  It's feels great to finally get things out of boxes and into drawers and onto shelves. :)

Radar67

Still working on my cabin...getting close though.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Left Coast Chris

Im in the trap of three things at once: 

1)  Im trying to finish pruning the walnut and fruit trees when its not raining and the wind isn't howling  (making big cuts in the tops of the walnuts that are weak so the wind makes it dangerous).

2)  Making a 10' x 10' hay storage shed almost entirely out of two large digger pine logs.  Framing is done.  Roof sheathing boards are next.  I do this when its not raining but windy and can't prune.

3)  Making a computer corner desk out of english walnut when it is raining.  Im about 30% complete.  The wood is beautiful.

Having fun..............should have 1 & 2 done in three weeks or so.  #3 is more of a long range project.  Hoping for 8 weeks or so on the desk.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

OneWithWood

Been thinkin' about doin lotsa stuff  ::)
One With Wood

pasbuild

I got a gun cabinet 1/2 done in that mess somewhere  ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Well....everyone knows what I've been working on. I'm applying the finish now. ;D

4woody

Hi SwampDonkey just to say i cant to see it when you are done i have   enjoyd it so far i like pic                 

brdmkr

Three more squares of shingles andf I'll have the shop roofed.  Then the siding!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Don_Papenburg

Rebuilding my planer.   Hopeing to get a Shelix cutterhead for the thing. That is a helical spiral insert cutter.  Also I am getting ready to start the woodwork for the main bathroom in the new house.  and make trim for the hall . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ohsoloco

I finally got started on a walnut bed I'm making for someone  :)  We talked about it back in early spring  ::)  Luckily she wasn't in a hurry, bad for me that she said that b/c I'm a great procrastinator.  Got lots of other things caught up so I started in on it.  Once I get going I can really plug away at things in the shop.  The other day I found the PERFECT board for the footboard, knew it as soon as I uncovered it in the lumber pile.  Can't wait to finish it, but now that it's finally getting cold I find myself wanting to cut firewood.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ohsoloco on January 22, 2007, 10:08:37 PM
...............now that it's finally getting cold I find myself wanting to cut firewood.

Come on up and I'll let ya cut some firewood. :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Thanks Jeff for moving the thread. You'll find the 'I'm gonna build me a night stand' thread on the next page of the Drying and Processing board. I was going to mention moving these before, but wasn't a priority in the scheme of things. ;D

Burlkraft

I puttin' a 12 X 4 addition to my shop ta hold the cyclone dust collector...

SwampDonkey

Steve, sounds like your housing a monster.  :o Don't let it suck you in.  :o 

I can come take it away for ya. ;D :D :D :D

No, not the dust.  ::)

This warrants a shop picture. Will anyone take pity?  :'(

SwampDonkey

Well I hung the main drawers to the desk and set the top on, for now. Still need to put knobs on pigeon hole drawers and the hanging drawer underneath and the doors overhead have to be hung. I don't know if I need to fasten the top down to the desk, seems stable enough.

Man I hate hanging drawers on those fabricated slides, very frustrating.  :(

4woody

SwampDonkey it looks nice did you use plains for it

SwampDonkey

At the start of the thread you'll see plans I drew free hand with pencil/ruler. I modified them a little after some input from Furby and others.

I'm going to do a model plane sometime and a table, but that will be next winter's projects. I've got to get in gear here for another silviculture season, fast approaching. Time goes bye too fast.  ::)

Furby

Paschale

Looks great, Swamp!   8)

What finish did you decide upon?   ???

SwampDonkey

The chair fits great Furby. It's much the same space as my desk beside it, with an extra inch in height. The original desk had the same clearance, but lost 3/4"-1" when the hardwood flooring was installed.

I used Varathane Diamond Wood Finish, Crystal Clear-Water based. Same as on the night stand. Had to use it to make a hard coat because of the soft butternut, remember. There are five coats in the desk surface and 3 on the upper parts and on the desk sides. It is hard too, I can't mar the surface with a pencil. It gets harder by a weeks end as it cures.

4woody

Oh sorry i for got i do like it  ican make alot of stuff but not to good with my finish yet

SwampDonkey

Sanding and finishing are a pain in the butt. :D

Burlkraft

Hey Donk...that's one nice lookin' piece. ;) ;) ;)  I know yer gonna be glad ya went clear span instead of the other leg.. ;D ;D I'll get some pice of the addition today...

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

One With Wood

Burlkraft

This is what I been up to. It's a 12' X 4' addition to the shop that will house the cyclone dust collector and the air compressor.....

Here's before.....

And now......

Stephen1

SD that is a very nice piece of woodworking.

Here is my list
1- put together jointer- christmas present from wife -Delta jt306
2- build windows for log cabin after finishing #1
3- log bed for daughter
4- log benches - put finish on
5- after 6 weeks, start therapy so i can start weight bearing on broken heal, then I can start working on all of above
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

All done. Going to throw a little bit more finish on, but pretty much done.

pigman

Looking good SD. 8) I do have a bit of advice for you, but I suppose you already knew it anyway. Remove the printer and other things before you throw on extra finish. ;D

Bob

SwampDonkey

Actually, I filled it up even more. ;D  No, what I'm going to add the finish to is out of the way of the loot. ;D

Burlkraft

That looks great SD..... ;) ;) ;)

Nice work... ;D ;D

Norm

sandmar

Well done SD! You take pride in your work and love for your wood and it shows. Thanks for sharing!
Sandmar

OneWithWood

Congrats on a project well conceived and carried out.   smiley_clapping
One With Wood

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

You guys with all those stacks of lumber should start making something too. I did my best to get you guys motivated. Maybe it's your shop help? In my case I don't know what it is, sure ain't the help. ;D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!