iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever think your having a bad day?

Started by leweee, January 22, 2007, 11:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

ever think your having a bad day. then read about someone else & think you haven't got that bad a day eh
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2007/01/22/bear-maul.html?ref=rss
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Phorester

We tread lightly around my mother-in-law when she dens up for the winter for that very same reason.  ;D

sprucebunny

Is it just a little slippery outside around your place, Leweee ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

leweee

YES'EM....she be a we might slippery ,after the freezing rain & light dusting of snow on top. Been using my logging boots with the caulks to get around. ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Brian Beauchamp

"workers in the area have been warned to stay away from the den."

...just in case they are imbiciles.

Ed_K

Thanks for changing my mind, worked on the skidder all day and it never did start.I'm going to surf some to find out how to hook 2 12v batts and still have 12v. Need more cranking amps.
Ed K

Samuel

Thats about 1 hour south of here and its pretty scary.  Apparently grizzly bears are known to gt up in the middle of winter to go for a bit of a stretch, however with the unseasonably warm temperatures this winter, I can see how it would screw up their internal clocks.

If it had not been for the helicopter landing, the bear would have likly tore them apart but got scared when the big bird was landing...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

fuzzybear

We lost a 21 year old bushman here last year.  This boy was in my opinion was a seasoned bushman. He just happened to come across a she bear with her new cub. He never stood a chance.  Makes me think twice about going out to the wood lot without at least a shotgun.  We had a 950lb kodiac walk its way this far inland before he got into town and found the joys of human trashcans.  I always remind the tourists that find their way out in my neck of the bush that "we live in their front, back and side yards".
I have a couple of grizzly and a few black bears that come across to our island to feed on wild cranberries that grow everywhere. Never had a problem with them, I just give them space and alot of respect.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

rebocardo

> Johnson said he started hitting the bear and it took off on its own.

It would have read better, shot 15 times at close range with 9mm and finished with sabot slug  :D

imo, Walking around in a remote area with bears during winter without a firearm is just asking to be eaten by something.

>it took off on its own.

They got that right. If a hungry bear has you on the meal ticket even hitting it with a baseball bat is futile as you will be ASSimilated  :D

amberwood

Ed_K..

parallel wiring, only 12v but all of the amps..imagine a pair of parallel wires running from pos to pos terminal, then from neg to neg terminal.

___________________________+
    l                 l
   +               +

-                -
    l_________l__________________-

DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Ed_K

Thanks Amberwood, that helps a lot. I had the + and + hooked together but didn't know the - to - needed to be hooked together too.
Yesterday I got a pole up in the main pins and ripped the steering hoses out of the frame. 1/2 mile from the truck is a long repair trip  >:( .
Ed K

Corley5

A buddy of mine has spent a lot of time in Ak and a 12 guage with slugs is his preferred bear defense when salmon fishing.  Some guys carry 44 mags but the saying is  "Five for the bear the sixth for yourself" 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I tried carrying a 12ga Defender while river fishing in baar country but the DanG thing was a nuisance in the brush and I figured by the time I got it up, a round in the chamber and the safety off, it would be too dark inside the bear to shoot. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed_K

todays bad day, was starter connection going thru the solinoid and no power into the starter itself. + a very cold west wind. Tomorrow it not getting up over 12 degs -20 windchill  >:( .
Ed K

grassfed

Quotethru the solenoid and no power into the starter
Whenever it gets cold I have to jump the solenoid with a big screwdriver. I do this on one of my tractors and on my skidder. This is extremely dangerous if the unit should happen to start in gear you could be crushed by the tire. It is hell on the screwdriver too.

I have been working out some bugs on my skidder (see 440 Trouble). Fixing this and that and then making short forays into the woods to see what else it needs.

I got a nice calcium chloride shower in ten degree below zero weather the other day. Then yesterday it died as I was crossing the dirt road in front of my house. I had a cord on back and was articulated 90 degrees completely blocking the road. I had just been running it for over an hour and for no apparent reason it chose the moment I was on a public road to die. I finally got it restarted but not until after I scrambled around and dragged all of the logs off the road by hand. 
Mike

Ed_K

Calcium is a bad bath on a good day never mind -10. Are all your tires filled or just the back ones? I've heard the 440s needed the back ones loaded to keep them on the ground when backing up hill. I got my new ice chains today from Maine but its to cold to put them on  :D .
Ed K

grassfed

QuoteAre all your tires filled or just the back ones?

The fronts are filled I am not sure about the back ones yet. The front tires are older and a different brand than the back ones. The guy that sold me the skidder told me that none of the tires were filled; he also told that the machine was ready for the woods.

I have had the machine for a little over ten months now. After the first day that I tried to use it, last year, I decided that the machine had issues that needed to be addressed before it was ready for the woods. I was going to fix those things over the summer but farming got in the way again. 

Here it is the coldest part of the year and I am out side trying to get the skidder running right before the season ends.
Mike

rebocardo

This guy did not have a good day either, he was 1/2 way to the stomach

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16817149/

Yea, beating on a wild animal with a stick is not a good technique, it was why we invented things with hard sharp points like spears and arrows. It is a good thing cats play with their food before killing it.

Phorester

A good reason not to go hiking with your wife when she's mad at you.  She might cheer the lion on.

fuzzybear

Shame they killed the lions.  After all they were minding their own business in THEIR back yard when all of a sudden a new and different tasting lunch walked in. 
People have to remember it IS their land. They've had it for hundreds of generations and we have to respect that as the new neighbors on the block.

Phorester

Nothing personal against you FBEAR, just want to discuss the issue you raised. 

At least now in the USA we take pains to hopefully single out the specific animal that we feel harmed one of us.  We don't go out and wholesale slaughter every mountain lion we can find.

Lions, sharks, bears, etc.,  have no hesitation to kill any other animal that they feel is threatening them.  In some cases it has been shown that a lion stalked and hunted a human.  Why do some people consider it wrong when the human animal does that?  Are we of lesser importance than them? 

This has been our land for hundreds of generations too. We evolved on this planet right along with them.  We are as much a part of the natural environment as they are.  If we condone a lion attacking us, how can we not condone attacking them to protect ourselves?   If it's considered "part of nature" for them to attack humans, isn't it also part of nature for us to protect ourselves in the same way?

leweee

You just have to remember were you are on the food chain. :o
      Take lots of slow running friends with you ....remember to keep them between you & the bear. Play safe & NO FEEDING the Bears. :)

farmerdoug

No feeding?  What are the slow friends for then? ::)

Remember that you do not have to outrun the bear just at least one of your friends. ::) ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

I agree with Phorester, if there are dangerous animals in the vicinity of people or livestock, then those animals should be removed, one way or another.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fuzzybear

When animals come into the cities, I agree they should be removed or destroyed. BUT these lions were in their land. People take for granted the myth that we are the top of the food chain. So very NOT true.
   When people hike through the bush and feel they are in comand, that's when things can go very wrong. I have no sympathy for these type of people.  They are not aware of their surroundings other than what is directly in front of them. 
   I live in nature, my life is the trees and animals around me. I show them a great deal of respect. Unfortunatly alot of people show little to no respect for nature. When a student comes with me into the bush I teach them to open their eyes and ears to everything around them.
   I have no doubt that the man attacked by the lion was having a peaceful walk with his wife and had never thought about any thing like this happening. It is a shame it happened. My prayers are with him and his wife.
   As I said we are not the top of the food chain. When the female lion saw this man she saw food for her cubs. That is life, we will never change that. To kill that lion for trying to feed herself, her mate, and yes even her cubs, is a shame.  The article didn't mention the fact that the female was nursing. This means that there are cubs out there starving to death. I learned this fact from subsiquint reserch.
   Unfortunatly I will be gone for a couple of days and will not be able to read the replies to this as I am sure there will be some on both sides of this debate.  That is what I like about this fourm.  We can all agree on the fact that we can disagree.

Phorester

It is now dawning on me that for the last few years, I've been invited by my younger friends on hikes & camping trips because I'm now the "slow friend". 

leweee

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 24, 2007, 10:13:17 PM
I tried carrying a 12ga Defender while river fishing in baar country but the DanG thing was a nuisance in the brush and I figured by the time I got it up, a round in the chamber and the safety off, it would be too dark inside the bear to shoot. ;D

Don't worry about aiming the right way.  When your inside, every way is bear.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Samuel

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 24, 2007, 10:13:17 PM

I just went through a defender training this fall where we get this guy off of Vancouver island to come up and give us a course.  He is a retired RCMP, and does all the combat SWAT training, pepper spray etc. for the RCMP in Western Canada.

Anyways, if I were in bear county, there would always be one in the chamber with the safety on.  Its amazing how well you react to these situations, given the training we went through was staged and the bears we pop up targets and one was on a pulley mechanism, but when you run into the bush for 50 meters to get you heart rate up, and have this drill sergeant screaming at you...things get exciting.

Whats amazing that only after a day 1/2 of this, you can get 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!