iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for imput

Started by hiya, January 21, 2007, 08:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya

The other day I saw on craigslist there was a lawn blower for free. The next day the thought came to me that may work for a collector for my planer.If I would put a electric motor on it and run a short hose between it and the planer, and stick the other end in a bin. Would the impeller stand up to planer shavings? I never looked at on that  close.I responded but was too late. It was free so I thought I would not loose too much trying it. Seeing with out much money I have to make what I want.Plus I like making things.
Richard
RichardinMd.

mike_van

Thats what mine is, an old  lawn vac with a 3 hp electric motor, works fine. You just want to be sure it's a steel impeller, not cast or Aluminum, sometimes those 2" dia. knots come out of hemlock boards, what a bang they make going through there.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Kcwoodbutcher

I doubt the impeller would hold up to the abuse. The blower would also have to many vanes in the impeller and would likely clog. Many of these impellers are plastic. I acquired a blower assembly from a 5 HP yard vac. I'm in the process of attaching a 3 HP electric motor to it. This is a very stout unit with a heavy duty 12" impeller that will take abuse. I gave $25 dollars for it.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

isawlogs

A friend of mine hooked his Delta12inches planer up to a leaf blower and it is working fine forhim .. ofcourse he does not plane a truck load of wood a day ... but for the few boardshe does .. it works fine .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

hiya

Ok, I think I'll look for another one. If it looks too light I' ll pass and keep looking.
I don't use mine real often. Right now I have a few feet of special crown to run.The reason it's special is it's not made any longer.
Thanks,
Richard
RichardinMd.

jbeat

I think a leaf blower would work well if it were part of a venturi type system. This system would separate the impeller from the chips/dust.  A few p.v.c. fittings, aluminum dryer vent plus some yankee ingenuity and you'll be shootin the dust in no time.
John B

Thank You Sponsors!