Now that's a show!
:D :D :D :D
Love the truck! smiley_thumbsup 8)

Dan_Shade

that was the best dirty jobs I've seen!

that truck was nuts! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

That was great. The wine barrel making was bonus. :D

mainiac

Did you guys notice the lack of safety equipment? :o  Chaps, Face Shield, Ear plugs. And how about that drop start of the chain saw?

Other than that, it was very interesting.

Mainiac
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Dan_Shade

yeah, I noticed that.  I also didn't think it was too wise to have a novice felling trees... but it did hit where it was aimed, so he did something right
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Too bad they weren't using a LogRite canthook either. :-\

I'm thinking that may have been one of the longest single subject segments they have aired.

sandmar

Me thinks this guy better stick to his poo jobs.Not sure he is cut out for mule logging  :D I would give $100 for the truck and not even check the tires!!
Sandmar

Furby

There was poo......... and a real ass mule to go with it. :-X ;D

Spent Carpenter

That show made me register here after lurking for a long time. Was that mule on a hair trigger or what?

WH_Conley

Welcome to the forum Spent Carpenter.

Some of the experts will chime in here later to let us know for sure but I had the impression that those mules either had not been worked for a while or were to pulling in competition, as soom as hooked take off. It has been a long time since I have been around mules in the log woods but the last ones were well trained and worked everyday. When you hooked those mules up you had to look to make sure they were still awake, tell them to get up and let them walk out of the woods on their own, you stayed, the guy at the skidway unhooked them and sent them back.

As a disclaimer the mules I was around were probably some of the best trained around.
Bill

sawguy21

I started wrenching at a farm equipment dealership, was the snowmobile mechanic. Being the nooby, I got the jobs the apprentice would do if they had one. The worse two jobs were steam cleaning the frozen manure covered equipment and draining and refilling the fluid in tractor tires. The switch did not work so I had to disconnect the pump and reverse it. Calcium chloride is hard on clothes and miserable in cuts or burns. :'(
Before that I tailed at a commercial mill when it was around 0 degrees F.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I really enjoyed the loader on that truck.I wanted them to spend more time on how the loader worked.Now there are 1000's of people all over the US thinking they know how logs are loaded on to trucks.I never seen one like that.Wonder how often the tails lights have to to changed on that truck?Quite a jarring that truck took on the first few logs.I would have to say the mules were not always in the logging business too.A little to quick on the draw for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mr Mom

A good friend of mine logs with draft horses and they are slow and do what ever he wants them to do.
     I have seen him at a pull and they walk to the sled and wait for the hook up then they stand there and wait to be told what to do.
     Other guys have to have three other to help hook up. There horses are jumping and prancing around and they take three or four times to get hooked too the sled.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

slowzuki

I've got a section of direct burial cable that was salvaged from a pig farm and every time I open the electrical box it stinks of pig.  Its been 5 years in our place and 10 years since it was around pigs!  I washed it twice with soapy water when I got it.
Ken

Quote from: Cedarman on January 23, 2007, 01:42:55 PM
I bought my 1 ton Dodge over 2 years ago.  Was winter.  One warm day I got to smelling some "money".  Hmmm.  Checked the title where it had come from.  Pig farmer in Iowa.  Even now, when the inside gets warm, there's that aroma.

sandmar

Welcome aboard Spent Carpenter,glad you came out of lurking! I agree those mules need to learn the command STAND in the worst way. I kept waiting for someone to loose a finger with the log hooks when the mules jumped. Guess my patience aren't as good as theirs.

Sandmar

beenthere

slowzuki
Canna hardly believe dat  ;D

Da pigman gets scrubbed up before da piggy roast, and we donna smell a thing...... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Spent Carpenter

Thanks. What i could not understand is how come nobody rode the mule same as powered equipment. Those long plow leads looked like complete BS or should i say poo to me. Why in the world would you want your feet several feet back from the front of the log. I would have broken ankels before sundown

Furby

I was in Cedarmans truck last summer.
He pointed out "the smell", but I really didn't smell it. :-\

Cfarm, The truck on the show had the windshield cracked, the passenger door missing and the truck had been rolled twice........ I don't think they worry much about tail lights. ;) ;D

Bibbyman

Quote from: WH_Conley on January 24, 2007, 09:54:28 AM
Welcome to the forum Spent Carpenter.

Some of the experts will chime in here later to let us know for sure but I had the impression that those mules either had not been worked for a while or were to pulling in competition, as soom as hooked take off. It has been a long time since I have been around mules in the log woods but the last ones were well trained and worked everyday. When you hooked those mules up you had to look to make sure they were still awake, tell them to get up and let them walk out of the woods on their own, you stayed, the guy at the skidway unhooked them and sent them back.

As a disclaimer the mules I was around were probably some of the best trained around.

I'm not an expert but I have owned a mule trained to skid logs. (But didn't use him very much for that.)  He didn't work the same as these mules.  He knew "Back", "Stand", "Step up", etc.  The bad thing was,  he could fold those ears down and go under brush you'd think a rabbit couldn't get through.

But one of my uncles skidded with mules and I watched him work many a time.  The big mule was named 'Old Fox'.  Uncle Ed would drive him up to the first log and set the tong and give him the some command and he step up and set the tongs.  He would then take the lines off him and Old Fox would take the log to the truck or landing by himself.   He'd line up the log with the others and then step back to let the tongs fall free.  Then he'd head back into the woods to find the Uncle Ed and be hooked up again.

You're right.  These mules acted like pulling mules.  I've seen that before - when they hear the hookup,  they're off! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

mike_van

3000.00 for the pair is a lot less than a skidder, and 10.00 a day for "keep" is less than fuel, but boy i'd be exhausted the way they were fighting those mules.  A well trained pair would be a lot easier to work.    That was pretty clean ground too, not all snags & brush.    The poo pots from last week - I know that guy Matt FreundCowpots Website , he helped out last year building the arena for the high school robotics team. Nice people - I hope his business does well as a result of the show - Free nation wide advertising is hard to come by.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

timberjack240

yea anyway.. it might be cheaper but when i wanna back up i back up and i dont get drug throught the woods either. the only jack im runnin is a timberjack  ;D . for 10 bucks a day you hafta think is it worth tehat headache  ;D . i told my dad when we were watchin it.. i sed theyd do that once and that wood be it and id ahve a skidder..... i can see mule logging inst for me  ;D ... although i did like there truck never seen one of them  ;D  ;D  :D

Faron

An Amish crew has been logging near my place with horses.  Most days they run 3 teams. One Saturday they had 5 teams.  The horses seem to know what to do, but each team does have a driver.  These guys ride the logs quite a bit. They have moved an awful lot of logs out.  I think they are probably the only loggers in the immediate area able to skid logs due to the extremely wet conditions this winter. Amazing how little damage they are doing.  I have heard of mule teams from the past around here that worked like Bibbyman's uncles' mule.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Furby

Horse/mule logging is something I've been considering for a while now and I plan to keep looking into it. :)

Don K

I agree that the mules would be a pain jumping the hookup like that but hey, if they were well trained it wouldn't look like a dirty job would it? I loved that truck. I wish I could crawl all over it and see how it works. Having seen many old paperwood trucks that were homemade I think I know a little of how they built it, but the double cable is interesting.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pigman

I just have to point out the errs of the people that said pigs smell bad and it was a dirty job raising them. When I was in the piggy business, the manure did not smell bad, the pull plug pits never got stopped up with a dead pig, pigs never die in the pens and are found  the next  morning half eaten and other dirty stuff they talked about. I am also good  at telling a bold faced lie with a straight face. ;)
When those pigs were selling for 60¢ lb live wt and it only cost 30¢ to raise them, all those little problems were ignored. When they were 15¢ and it cost 30¢
to raise them, I noticed all the problems. :(
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!