iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dirty Jobs

Started by Mooseherder, January 21, 2007, 07:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Mike Rowe of Discovery's Dirty Jobs show will do a segment on Mule Logging this Tuesday night, Jan. 23rd @ 9pm.  Must be some pooh involved. ;D

barbender

I think there is a poo requirement on every episode. You gotta hand it to that guy- he tries everthing they put him up to on that show. Last episode I watched, he was paddling a jon boat around a manure effluent containment pond picking sticks out of it, he almost fell in. It was nasty!!! I love that show, but theres been a few things that were bad enough that I physically gagged, and I don't have a real weak stomach either.
Too many irons in the fire

Bill in U.P.

Lets hear some of the dirtiest, nastiest, wouldn't want to do that every day, jobs that you guys have done that stand out in your minds. Mine was was working construction in the winter at a condominium site. I had to scrap out straw from all the basements. The basements all had 3 to 4 inches of water and ice. The straw was all wet and encased in ice. Most of it involved breaking chunks of straw/ice off and loading into trash cans, taking up the stairs, through the garage and dumping into backhoe bucket. I was soaking wet, cold hands, and sweating for about 9 hrs. Not exactly "dirty" but definately the one that stands out as being miserable in my mind. Did sleep good that night and only had about 2 hrs. of it the next day.

Samuel

Quote from: Bill in U.P. on January 21, 2007, 10:19:00 PM
Lets hear some of the dirtiest, nastiest, wouldn't want to do that every day, jobs that you guys have done that stand out in your minds. Mine was was working construction in the winter at a condominium site. I had to scrap out straw from all the basements. The basements all had 3 to 4 inches of water and ice. The straw was all wet and encased in ice. Most of it involved breaking chunks of straw/ice off and loading into trash cans, taking up the stairs, through the garage and dumping into backhoe bucket. I was soaking wet, cold hands, and sweating for about 9 hrs. Not exactly "dirty" but definately the one that stands out as being miserable in my mind. Did sleep good that night and only had about 2 hrs. of it the next day.

As an Aux Constable with the RCMP I was on a couple recovery teams for bodies that had been expired per say for some time.  As far as I am concerned, there is nothing more disgusting than the human body...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

ScottAR

Going in a crawlspace to fix water leaks in winter...  wallowing in mud/water.
Praying before going in that it's at least a hot water pipe.   :D

Cleaning out rent house fridge.  Christmas dinner in Febuary, and the power was
off for a week.  Still haven't figured out how the maggots got in there...

The hundred times I've changed a toliet... I poo residue I can deal, I just hate
the wax.  Sticky, YECH!

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Murf

I did a short stint helping out a buddy who was messed up bad in a wreck, I covered for him flying charter in the north country, in a less than reputable part of the country. Not quite air ambulance, but then they're aren't real fussy either, if you can get them there faster, you're it, period.

I saw more messed up drunks who had; a) ran snow-mo-bubbles into trees, trucks, rocks, whatever, b) decided they should play with a chainsaw, c) pick a fight with someone a whole bunch bigger, and a lot more sober, d) passed out outside and in waking up, and then getting up, had not stopped when they realized their ear, nose, scalp, or whatever, was frozen into the ice they passed out on.....

Samuel, you are sooooooo right!!!
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

palogger

when I was going to school, I worked for a company who cleaned railroad cars.  You had to climb in with a shovel and loosen everything up for the track hoe to scoop it out.  We cleaned everything from rotten watermelons to pig manure in a days time.  Let me tell you neither smell to rosey in the middle of July.

KGNC

Helping cleanup after Hurricane Floyd near Rocky Mount NC. There was a chest freezer in a garage that was full of rotting meat and nasty flood water 2 months after the storm. I will never forget that smell.  There was no easy way of dealing with it. we tried to move it and just sloshed that nasty water on yourself. Finally got a chain around it and pulled it out with a truck.
Needed a long shower that night.

Jeff

I like that show, and he does seem to get in there and do the stuff for real. The dirtiest job I seen him do was the charcoal factory in Missouri that I still wonder if is the same one that Bro. Noble sells his slabs to.

If you ever tailed a commercial mill where you always worked short handed (read alone) and the chipper happen to be broke down and you were not only stacking lumber, but stacking the slabs as well, and sawing logs that would make 16 or 20 4 by 4s at one time at the rate of 1500 to 2000 bf an hour on a hot summer day, you would consider that one of the nastiest jobs ever.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

One of my customers in Madison has a Honey Wagon septic business. They came and did a show about him. The people who set it up wanted him to save his nastiest jobs for filming. Well when they got to the nastiest jobs he had...when it came time to donn the chemical suit and oxygen tanks to go down inside a tank at what used to be Oscar Mayers and is now Craft he said.....NO.. ;D ;D ;D  The tank was too gross even for the dirty jobs guy. They ended up just doing septic tanks and a waste food tank at a school in Fitchburg. Les Swanson is the Honey Wagon guy and he said that the filming was fun, but it was by no means the nastiest he had.... :D :D :D

Les...He's a retired social studies teacher who find this job much more rewarding..... ::) ::) :o :o
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

QuoteThere was a chest freezer in a garage that was full of rotting meat and nasty flood water

Imagine not only the workers that were cleaning up New Orleans after Katrina, but the home owners that came back to there neighborhoods.

The home owners practically threw a parade when the front end loaders finally showed up to take away all those freezers and fridges.  This of course was in the non-flooded areas.  I'm sure the flooded areas were much worse off. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Warren

Worked EMS for 15 years.  Agree with Samuel and Murf on the human body...  Nuff said...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

ScottAR

Burlkraft, you and I are in the same biz more or less...

After dealing with irritating people all day, poo is not that bad...  :D

Maybe I've just had a bad week... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

fuzzybear

Murph,   sounds like you were stationed in the Yukon or NWT. :D
As far as dirty jobs the worst for me is picking mushrooms after a forest fire.  Great money but alot of black oily soot. At the end of a couple of days you shower wondering  how the @#$% did that get in there! ;D
And never mind when you blow your nose  smiley_sick
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Burlkraft

Quote from: fuzzybear on January 23, 2007, 02:49:13 AM
As far as dirty jobs the worst for me is picking mushrooms after a forest fire. 

I wanna hear more about this....Why would ya be pickin' mushrooms after a fire....ain't they already cooked.. ???   ???   :D   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Growing up in farm country manure is a every day smell.:D One of the dirtiest jobs I ever had the pleasure of doing was helping out cutting some piggers that should have been done some time ago. They were too small to chute and almost too big to hold.....almost.

I'd squeel like that too if someone with a rusty scalpel was removing my pride and joys. ;D

Cedarman

Norm, yup, its messy and squeely, but the reward comes at dinner that night.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

I too got into lots of rough and nasty situations during my years in volunteer fire and rescue. 
I played high school basketball as a kid.  Lots of Saturdays before games, we had to cut pigs.  Two problems with that-  While the town kids were resting for the the night's game, I was rassling pigs. :D  I could never find anything that truly removed the smell in the hour or two I had to get ready.  I would think I had the smell killed, then soon as I got hot and sweaty...... ::)
But for being really nasty, nothing beats rotting soybeans.  Get them down in the bottom of a hopper tank where you have to remove them with your hands... yuck  Once we were looking at a grain dryer that was for sale.  It hadn't been taken care of very well, and the well was full of rotted beans when the owner opened it up.  He raked the stuff out with his hands, and then , without thinking, smoothed his hair. :o :o :D :D :D :D  I'd have just had to shave my head after that.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

leweee

:D :D :D Faron....I know farmers like that. ::)  :D :D :D
      If you didn't like bad smells, you wouldn't be a farmer. ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Cedarman

I bought my 1 ton Dodge over 2 years ago.  Was winter.  One warm day I got to smelling some "money".  Hmmm.  Checked the title where it had come from.  Pig farmer in Iowa.  Even now, when the inside gets warm, there's that aroma.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thurlow

How about them cows that retained the after-birth;  I was always had a wait-and-see attitude.  Usually the problem would take care of itself; every once and a while you'd get one that needed some help, you'd have to run her into the pen, into the head gate and put your hand/arm in there.  smiley_smelly_skunk
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

stonebroke

hey cedarman easy solution to that , You just have to drive around with your windows open for about two years.

Mooseherder

thecfarm

Thank-you for telling us.I would of missed it.I do not watch much TV.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ivey

Know all about them hog farms, owned one until "99" exwife wanted half,
 another story.  sometimes would have to stick my arm down the flush drain that led to the lagoon. Sometimes a pig would die and get stuck, backing up the water and manure.

Had about 70 head of beef cattle, lots of times I would have to help a hefier
 deliver her calf (head to big or turned wrong), and yes sometimes that ment shoulder deep!  I know what you mean thurlow, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do...
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Thank You Sponsors!