iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detail needed for building log furniture drawer

Started by Snag, January 21, 2007, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I really havent built too much furniture, and am about to try my hand at some log stuff.  I have had the logman tenon cutter for awhile and have messed around with it, but now want to get some stuff built.  Here is the problem.... I want to build a night stand with a drawer.  I have a book to help me along with the stand, but the example in it lacks a drawer.  Can someone provide me some guidance, preferably a pic or sketch (cause i'm kinda a visual type person) on how the drawer portion of the stand is closed in (how are the boards connected to the log legs?) and what the drawer will ride on and keep it from coming right out?  As always, I appreciate any help I can get.... Thanks.

4woody

Snag

Uh oh 4woody, I need a pic so I can send you a pic of what I am doing so you could send me a pic of what to do! :D  I know what you're sayin', i'll bring the book to work tomorrow and scan one of the sketches and draw in and label what i'd like to do.  Basically though, 4 - 3" dia. legs approx 28" long.  The top is approx 18"x22".  Two "connectors" that will be approx 1.5" diam that will connect the back legs to the front legs and support a bottom shelf.  Pretty basic and simple.  Just dont know how to incorporate that durn drawer....

Furby

Sounds like you need some top mount drawer slides.
I've seen them before, but don't recall where.
Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about and post a web site or something.

metalspinner

Furby's on the right track.  Suspend the drawer from the top, and you won't need to worry about redesigning the piece.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

amberwood

how about cutting a slot in the side of the drawer..midway through the board thickness about halfway up, then fixing a runner of just under that thickness to the legs running front to back..a little wax in the runner and you are in business.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Stephen1

Check out Lee Valley Tools always a good place to start, they can be a liitle pricey but what  they have is always top qaulity.
http://www.leevalley.com/
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tdelorme

Snag, go here and do a search for drawer slides.  They will have just what you need.Rockler Woodworking Co.

Snag

I am going to scan a pic and post it sometime today.  I know I need to use some type of slide, my real problem is how to enclose the drawer area when working with the log legs.  I only want the front of the drawer to be visible, not the sides, so I have to box it in somehow.

4woody

Furby

In that case just build a 3 sided box and suspend it from under the top.
If you don't put a back on it and simply used wood slides, the drawer could be opened from either side.

Snag

Ok, so I lied about posting a sketch or drawing.  Got too busy at work to scan it.  I will try again tomorrow.  Ok, so build a 3 sided box or attach slabs to fit in, should I cut "recesses" or a notch so to speak vertically in the legs for the box or slabs to fit into?  I think maybe that is what I will have to do.  I seem to remember seeing some log furniture and the ones I saw had the boards (whether it was dresser sides or a nightstand or whatever) somehow attached into the vertical logs.

Furby

There is no need to go out as far as the legs unless you want to.
You can attach it to the top from underneath and leave a space between the sides and the legs.
Same could be done under your shelf instead of the top.

SwampDonkey

Snag, have a look at my 'I'm gonna build me a Night Stand' and 'What I'm working on now' threads.  Might be helpful. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

solodan

Snag, you're right you need to enclose the sides, or you will see the drawer box itself.  It is basically the same concept of skirting a table, except you only need to do it on two sides. Then the front has an opening  for the drawer box. The conection of the skirt to the legs depends on the skirt. You can cut a live edge slab, or a half log, whatever. Then you need to fiqure how to make the transition. I like cutting a 90 degree notch in the top of the log to fit the skirt in if it is flat on both sides. Other wise if you are going log end to log side, you can taper the skirt to slip into this notch.
Log furniture joinery really started to make sense to me after I studied how log construction was done. If you don't have a flat surface then it is ok to make one, but in order for it to look like it flows well, you need to taper the shoulders off everything. This is the reason a tapered tenon is so often used, if the shoulder is not tapered or scribed it just doesn't look right. I wish I had a picture for you, :-\  cause I don't know if I am making any sense at all. ::) ;D :D :)

4woody

Hay that is what i said but you have more detail solodan i think you coud do it

solodan

I thought that is what you meant, and I actually started to type that, but then I read it again and got all confused. :D

Furby

Why not just make a "dressy" drawer and let it all show?
Maybe even add some wood burning on the sides or something. ;D

metalspinner

QuoteWhy not just make a "dressy" drawer and let it all show?

I'm picturing a drawer hanging from the top, with the bottom of the drawer side having a live edge - hopefully bark still intact..  If you can find just the right live edge board, all four sides of the drawer box can be cut and reassembled to have a really neat look.  A simple "L" shaped hanging strip can be screwed to the top and a groove routed in the drawer side for the strip to run in.  Clear as mud? ;D

The hanging strip could have the same live bark edge facing out.

DanGit, now I want to go build one of these tables. >:(  I don't have time for all these ideas. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

You guys are driving me crazy trying to picture this.

smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy coocoo_clock

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Snag

Thanks guys.  That explains what I was thinking I had to do Solodan.  If we are thinking the same thing, when you lokk straight down on the top of the leg it will look like 3/4 of a circle, correct?  Why only two sides?  Do you not do the back?  How do you go about making your 90 deg notches?  I was thinking about making a jig and using a router.  If there is an easier method, I'm all ears.

Furby & Metalspinner - I dont think my drawer will be too dressy.  Not just yet anyway. I've got more practice to do before my stuff can be classified as that.  ;)  Honestly though, my wife is kinda dictating the look and she wants it enclosed.  I know this is probably log furniture blasphemy, but the cedar I am using is getting turned round on my lathe.  She doesnt want the "natural" look (which I prefer), she wants it to match the mass produced log bed that she bought a while back.  Oh well, the nice consistent pieces will make it a little easier for my first try. 

Thanks for the idea on the runners metalspinner.  Clear as mud.  I think I will try that. 

Did I read on another thread that the green cedar can be dried in the oven?  I think I recall someone mentioning 150 deg for a period of time??

Swampdonkey, I will take some pics when I get back to doing it.  I spent last night using my new Peterson retipping jig to get my WPF back online.  Still a little cold out here today for my liking to mill, so maybe this afternoon will find me proceeding with the nightstand project.  Getting pulled in way too many directions.

solodan

Quote from: Snag on January 27, 2007, 08:57:58 AM

...when you lokk straight down on the top of the leg it will look like 3/4 of a circle, correct?  Why only two sides?  Do you not do the back?  How do you go about making your 90 deg notches?  I was thinking about making a jig and using a router.  If there is an easier method, I'm all ears.

no there ino easy way if you need the notch to stop. If you did this notch the whole way down, like on a dresser, you could do this on the swinger. You can cut the notch on a table saw and chisel the bottom corner off, but I think a router table is the best choice. Get a scrap 1x and shoot a few brads through it to attach it to the log. Don't use too long of brads, cause you will be cutting into this piece. Or you could use on of those jigs that hold the log to the board. Then set the router depth and a straight bit and run the board against the fence.  pull the board off and rotate it 90 degrees and do it again. You will still need to chisel the bottom corner to get a right angle. You could probably also do it with a rotozip or something similar. :)

as far as only two sides ,   ::) I know that was confusing, just disregard what I wrote. :D You've got the right idea.

Tell your wife that the natural look is custom, we will all back you up. ;D but you might have to make a matching bed. :D 8)

Furby

Quote from: Snag on January 27, 2007, 08:57:58 AM
my wife is kinda dictating the look
Had ya said that from the start..........  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!