iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for another dog.

Started by Part_Timer, January 21, 2007, 12:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well folks it's time to start to look for another dog.  Both of ours are around 11 years old and we'd like to get another one before the others health starts to fail.
We have a great dane and a chow.  They have been great dogs and we would like to stay with those types.   We are looking for another chow first but the breeder we got ours from is no longer working with dogs.  Chows can be a bit funny so we are looking for someone who knows of a good reputable breeder. 

Thanks
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Norm

Tom I really think you need to broaden your horizons on the breeds. I can't say too much how intelligent labs are.

Plus since you have a sawmill you'll have all the 2X4's needed to train them. ;D

farmerdoug

And maybe you can train the lab to fetch the boards of the mill and stack them too. ::) ;D

Never had a chow so no help there either. ;)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

LedlieLogs

I'm with Norm all the way! I guess my profile photo already said that. However all dogs are great. The important thing is to have one or more hanging around. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am". How true.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

jph

She moves them but she refuses to stack them.

farmerdoug

Well, you have half of the battle won. 8) :D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Kevin

I"ll need to see the menu prior to making any recommendations.

scgargoyle

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's very dark. My only recommendation is to try to find a reputable dealer, w/ detailed info on both parents. Many popular breeds like labs are over-bred and are prone to hip displasia, among a bunch of other problems. Nothing worse than raising up a good friend, then losing him a couple years later. Mutts seem to be more durable; the game is trying to guess what it's going to grow into!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Jeff

Scooter wants to know why you dont consider a big dog this time, something a little tougher to come up and play king of the cookies with... ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

My dad was a Duck hunter and since he was around 18, he had purebred Spaniels(English Springers) When I was around 8 years old we lost ol Kip, our last Spaniel and we were dogless for over a year.  Then at school this young stray dog started hanging around the school for food and company and he and I became inseparable.

He stunk like dead fish and hadn't been taken care of but I started to give him my lunch.
Everybody knew he was my dog at school but, when I wanted to take him home, a teacher told me he had been given to another family.  I was really bothered by that but knew better than to question a teacher.  Some of the kids told their parents and one of the mothers showed up at our door with that smelly old mutt and said the dog belonged to me and she'd back me 100%.
My Dad had a look at the mutt I was hanging onto and walked back in the house :)

It was the May long weekend of 1971. We were heading to the lake and couldn't leave our new dog behind, so, we washed the fish smell right out of him and scrubbed extra hard because we felt the need to "sell" him to my dad.

The trip to the lake was a good 3 hours and we were all crammed in. The dog didn't travel well and filled the back with some interesting piles of vomit, as well as the rest of the car with air that had passed through his digestive tract :D

Long story made short, he was my first dog and my parents grew to love him.  He was a mutt but extremely protective, devoted and had personality like no other.He was around 2 years old when we got him and died at 14. 

I buried him by my parents pond in the front yard and planted a Plum tree over him.My Dad take good care of the "Pooch Tree"

Me and Pooch at our first and last Dog show.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pigman

I am in need of a good dog. My last dog has not been seen in over a month. :( He was a stray that stopped by about eight years ago as a pup. In the last two years he   traveled around to the neighboring farms more than he was here. My wife puts out some food in the dog dish for him or any other stray that might stop in for a visit. We are getting posums but no dog. ::) I have been thinking I could trap one of the posums and train him to be a good farm dog posum. ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

A bit over a month and a half ago my brother was in the process of moving out of his apartment and back home.
some guy on the street walked up, handed him a leash and said "here, my landlord found out and I can't keep it".
Well since he was moving home, that's where his kitten and now a new puppy went.
The dog is a pitbull and with several other dogs, cats and little kids in the house, we were extremly concerned.
We are spending a lot of time working with her and while there have been a few incidents, she really is an awesome dog.
Much smarter then most would belive and loyal to the end!
Always running to the steps with her tail wagging, happy to see me as soon as I walk in the door.
I've been told to take her home as they still aren't 100% sure they are going to keep her, but I'm not really in a position to have a dog right now. :-\

farmerdoug

Pigman,  
Hold out for a sKunk.  I hear they make great pets and will follow you around like a dog.  Just try to catch a baby though as the adults can be a bit offensive about being caught and handled. :o ::) ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

isawlogs

Oh ... Pigman , dont let it get to much in front of you when you take it out for a walk ..  :P :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

No problem, They do not develop their scent glands until they are about half grown.  It is best to have the glands removed before then though. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Tom

Pigman, I smelled another one down the road awhile ago.  Maybe I could catch him and mail him to you in a box.  ;D

pigman

Send him on up Tom and I will invite farmerdoug down to fix him for me.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pineywoods

Chows can be a bit funny so we are looking for someone who knows of a good reputable

My kids gave the wife a new puppy for her birthday, half chow and half black lab. He grew into a good dog, gentle, smart, easily trained, and constant companion. At about age 2 he became reclusive and just plain vicious. One day he came at me, growling and teeth barred. I had a broom in my hand which he tore to splinters.
Vet told me this was not uncommon with chows.
  He lost the argument with the 12 gauge
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

No need to fix um .. need to spend a little time training him to stay by your side ..   ::) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

The skunk with his scent would make a pretty good guard dog too. ::) :P

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

scsmith42

Paul - great story about "Pooch".

PartTimer - I'd like to encourage you to pick up your next dog from either the local pound or a rescue group.  I'd also like to suggest a mixed breed, as opposed to a pure breed.

Dr. Laureen tells me that today about 50% of purebred dogs have some type of hereditary problems such as hip dysphasia, arthritis, lick granuloma, you name it.  The statistic for mixed breeds is something like 15%.

Also, at most pounds around 90% of the dogs that come in the "front door", go out the "back door".  Unfortunately, the only thing out the back door is the euthanasia chamber...

Although there are a lot of reputable breeders out there, many purebred dogs come from "puppy mills", where the breeding dogs are amongst hundreds and are kept in really poor conditions.  Laureen was the lead Veterinarian at an animal cruelty seizure last year where the breeder had over four hundred dogs, the vast majority of which had absolutely incredible problems like blindness (caused by the uric acid overwhelming the kennels), jaws rotted in two from tooth infections that had not been treated, open sores from laying on wet concrete for days on end, etc.  I remember one group of puppies that she brought home from there - they did not know how to walk because in 6 months they had never been outside of a kennel that measured 2' by 4 feet... and their mother was in that same kennel.  Another dog that she brought home from the seizure had one eye hanging out of its head by the optic nerve...

I'm sorry to be so graphic, but if you pick up a mixed breed from the pound, you can save a life, end up with a better pet, and not reward the puppy mills.

AND - if you get that animal spayed or neutered you can help keep a future dog from "going out the back door" at the local pound.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

metalspinner

Has anyone seen the series on the History Channel called "The Dog Whisperer"?  I love watching that show - the way he trains the people. :)  The dogs are left just kind of watching what's going on.

We have two mutts.  Both are 9 years old.  Maddi, the female, is never more than 5' from me.  Although I hardly notice she is there.  And Buchanan is a basset/ lab mix.  He is the craziest looking dog you'll ever see.  Both were rescued from the pound.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Nice story, Paul. Thanks for sharing it.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

LedlieLogs

I agree with Scott. As you can see in the picture of Logan he has a white patch on his chest. I'm told that means he is not pure breed. He was on his way to the pound when I met him. We were his fourth home in 10 weeks. We now have three dogs and two cats, they all sleep inside. I can't help it, if they find there way to the house there in.
Logan is a GREAT DOG, I hope he lives a long, long time. We are putting on a fundraiser at the camp this spring for the local emergency vet stray animal fund. Was in there the other night with one of mine and was very impressed with what they were doing. I hope we will raise a good chunck for them. We also believe in the micro chip. Never had to use it, but it gives me some comfort out in the woods. Lucky that Logan stays pretty close when we paly in the woods.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Quartlow

Paul, that was a great story,  He kind of looks like Bernese mountain dog
PT
Sure I can't talk you into a Lab? Keeping three is eating me out of house and home and I still have on of those pups from when you visited.

Red in his favorite spot. He's a big boy born a year ago on Christmas day he weighs about 85 pounds

Red, Kenda, (his mother) and Flint his half brother

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!