iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack skidder

Started by farmerdoug, January 20, 2007, 09:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I have a question for you guys.  The guy who is clearing the land that I am getting the logs from has an old Timberjack skidder sitting on site.  It was there when he bought the property.  I am not sure what model it is.  I looked it over good today but found no plates or other signs of a model number.  It has be sitting for quite awhile also.  It looks like almost everything is there.  It has a Detroit Diesel engine in it. 

Can you tell me from the pics what model it is?  I have more pics if needed.  There is a couple more in my gallery too.
Do you think this is worth getting?
What do you think it is worth?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

a old timberjack

doug, there should be a serial # ( if u were sitting in the seat, your lright leg, middle of your outer calf should rubbing the plate ( they were welded on ) . by the looks of the side shot, it has a big opening in the cage, it is a early 70's or late 60's 225 . does it have a standered tranny? i could not tell in the pics. ( that old tj is right up my alley ) let me know, i will try to help you as much as i can, get more pics if possible .....Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Ron Scott

Tough a little hard to tell from the photos, I'd guess about what Brandon said. It seems to be pre-1970 vintage and earlier than the 1970 290D.
~Ron

a old timberjack

ok i found the gallery, is it a automatic?? i did not see shift lever. it looks almost identical to mine , mine is a 1970 225c model. if you can doug, take some pics looking at the front of the machine, back, looking down at the transfer case lever from the drivers seat , and does it have aluminum " timberjack " id plates on each side of the motor compartment???

farmerdoug

It has a piece of the name Timberjack on the left side above the engine, that is all that it left.

I am posting more pics to the gallery as I get they optimised.  I looked and did not see a plate but will look closer in that area next time.

I would like to save this machine from the scrap yard even if it is just for parts.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

J_T

I got a 225d it has 18.4x26 tites on it  Unless every thing on it is bad I would say it is worth fixing if you can do the work in your spare time  8)
Jim Holloway

farmerdoug

Like I really need another project.  ::) That has not stopped me from bringing home more though. :o :D :D :D

I have uploaded all of the pics I took today.  I will try to get anymore pics that are needed next week.  Just let me know what to take.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

J_T

Just saw one for sale for 13,500 8) I once had a John Deer 440 and I would,t give the seat off this old Timberjack for another J D 440  ???
Jim Holloway

a old timberjack

doug, that side shot of the planetry indicates it is has rockwell axels, on a timberjack, the pre 1970's and early 70's had timberjack casted in the planetrys, those planetrys can be taken off by not removing the wheel, if they were eatons, you would have to remove the wheel first. , my strong feelings, ( wich everyone has a opinion ) indicates that it is a early 70's machine, by the axels and the big opening in the cage where the operator climbs in and out , also take a look at the battery compartment, there is a door next to the transfer case lever, if the batterys are still in there follow the positive lead, it should be a ground, to the tranny or frame.  ( in those early years  those beasts had positive ground ) right now , i have the rearend out of mine and i am in the prosess of switching it over to negitive ground  and yes it is scattered all over my shop.........Brandon

a old timberjack

oh yeh, also mine has 17 x34 .5 in rubber.

farmerdoug

This one has 23.1-26 tires.  I will take a bunch more pics this week.  The picture with the bottle in it is the battery tray.  No battery but the pic is of the back half of the tray.
What do you think is a reasonable price for it?  It maybe just a parts machine so it maybe a starting point.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Sawyerfortyish

I have a 74 230 tj that looks exactly like that one. I don't know where you are located but call up lyons equipment thats where I get my TJ parts give them the serial # and they will tell you the life history of that machine. I don't know about the postive ground mine don't have it mine is negetive ground. I'll bet it has a 353 detroit if it runs and moves fix it they don't make small machines like that any more. It's just the right size to get around in a small woodlot with out damaging everything. My 230 rarely breaks down a very dependable machine.

Bill H

That looks exactly like our 69? 230D I paid $4000 for 18 months ago it was in running condition but had been sitting for 3-4 years. After skidding ~2500 bdft of pine it started knocking and would barely pull itself. I got it out of the woods before it totally quit. I then called some of the junk yards to find out what it was worth Shaefer Enterprises said $8000 running and $4500 as is where is I decided to fix and here is the list:
-rebuilt engine $5000 ( including finding a cast block $1100 as mine hade a aluminum military engine in it).
- then while it is apart decided to change oil in all resevoirs, all had water :(. this led to opening the transmission and tranffer case to check bearings they all needed replacing  :(
- while changing bearings replaced worst gears and shafts ( the shafts in the upper parts of the boxes are not in oil and rust, also these old jacks did not have a oil pump in the transfer case and the PTO for the winch doesn't get oil unless your are moving so extended wincheing or just idling while choking is hard on bearings and shafts)al. Cost for minimal replacements ~$1000
- also seals were very bad in front axle so pulled center section to replace and Dang if the pinion gear hadn't come loose on shaft so more bearings :( but, we did save ring and pinion so only spent $300 instead of $800.
- the machine had no brakes and needed all new parts as I couldn't find used when they got over $400 in parts I went to junkyard and bought a excursion 4wd front caliper and disk and made an adapter for <$100 and 4 hours of my time ;D. I did buy a new mastercylinder for $70 and rebuilt the line lock for $25.
alltotal counting parts and labor put approximatly another $10,000 in the beast.

Got her moved and started skidding and was winching a 800+ bdft gum and blew a back tire $2300 mounted on the machine(log stomper 23.1x 32 tire)moved 40 mbft and transmission died smiley_crying so I found out that I should have put in all new gears for the ones in the tranny that were starting to pit -price $1800. so just got her moving again yesterday.

We will hav close to $18000 in it and know we could have to buy new rubber at any time but is still cheaper  than anything you could buy new.

Go to johndeeretechinfo.com and look under 200 series and 200D series for parts, service and owners manuals. PM me for more info or a phone # as I an becoming a jack expert one part at a time

Bill
love to play in the woods
2 Husky 359's
Timberjack 230D
Cat 941
D7

farmerdoug

If I can find the serial number I will call them.  I like because it is small for the same reasons you do.  In this area small skidders are great for small woods.  I will probably get it.  I think I can get it for a thousand or less.  Do you think that is a good price.? Like I said it will probably end up on a boat to China which would be a shame.  But even for parts I think it would be useful.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Sawyerfortyish

I paid 9500 for mine when I bought it in 1988. Four years ago I put a rebuilt 353 that cost 3400.00 from a detroit dealer. I also put new rubber all the way around with new ring chains in the front(You don't want to do that many times ouch)I've been through everything from top to bottom. Other than keeping after some stress crackes and grease and oil it's been good to me. Word to the wise don't whatever you do ever ever loan it out after you get it going. I loaned mine out to do a job I bought. I paid a guy to cut and skid for me from the first day nothing but problems everything from broken shutter on the blower of the moter to seeing trenches dug by the wheels spinning trying to pull to much. Then he broke an axle >:( Be your own operator and drive it your self .

farmerdoug

I do not like to loan out any equipment for that reason either.  I also am very hesitant to borrow equipment for the same reason.  I only do it when there is no other way around it.  I would prefer to rent equipment than borrow it.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

timberjack240

my ges with the bigger tires it has wood be a 230 or a 240 D . if i were you id jsut go back when hes there and ask him ;D

farmerdoug

The guy that owns it has no idea about it.  He is in construction.  He said it was on the property when he bought it over ten years ago.  The old owner just left it there I guess. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Scott

I'd have to say It's a early 70's 230 or 240. I don't think you can go wrong buying it for $1000 I'm sure that even if you can't get it running you could part it out and double your money. Just my 2 cents

farmerdoug

Ok,  The skidder is sitting in the logyard now.  It is mine for better or worst.  I bought for a little less than a thousand delivered.  I have added a bunch of pics to my gallery too.  If there is any specific pics you need just let me know.  I went over the machine and found no plates.  It probably was removed by some kid in the past.  The battery and cables are gone too.  The only info I can find on it is the sticker on the air breather.  It lists several models on it.  I have taken a bunch of pics of the controls while sitting in the seat.  I think it is an automatic.  The tranny housing looks like it is aluminum.

Is there anywhere else on it to look for a model number?  It is all steel so no casting numbers I could find on it.  I would like to correctly ID this machine so I can find some manuals for it to start with.  Any help is appreciated.

One good note so far is that it rolled on and off the trailer with all four wheels turning.  The one flat tire made it a little bit of a job to get going but once moving it rolled fine.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

beenthere

Congrats on getting that home to your logyard. Wish you the best getting it into running order, or havin fun tryin, at least.  :)
If'n we can encourage you in any way, let us know.  Stoppin by to see it being molded into shape will be most fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

Congrates Doug on your purchase. 8) I don't think you can go wrong on that price. ::) ::) I know what you will be doing in the near future. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ed_K

WOW, what a deal  8) .With this kind of luck, a little air and the tire will be up,a battery an the Dang thing will start right up and you'll be skidding in no time  ;) .Way to go.
Ed K

Corley5

That's a great deal  8) 8)  For that kind of money you don't mind putting a little in it if needed  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dieseldog5.9

This is going back a while, how did the Timberjack project work out?

Thank You Sponsors!