iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS360 - oiler also leaks

Started by StuBC, January 18, 2007, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuBC

I have this saw, its only a few years old.  I cant figure out why I have a constant oiler leak.  Its a mess all of the time.  Oil pukes out into the carry case.  I took it in once and the shop went over it. They took a plate off, and poked a pinhole to do the air hole.  That seems to last only a little if at all.  I have been continueing to do so, poke the little hole with a pin to free the air. 

Am I missing anything?  Oiler is not cracked they say.  But maybe I have gunk, dirt or sawdust in the oiler, any one ever flush one?  Whats the process with that?  Diesel, kerosene or something?

STU

Kevin

When the oil hole in the bar gets plugged up with sawdust then the oil will just run down the side of the bar, this might be what's happening to your saw.
Do you make a habit of cleaning the saw after every use?

StuBC

I dont take it apart to clean it.  Do others?  What I do is when I sharpen I use the vise and blow the saw out with the compressor. 

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

You'll want to remove the bar and clean it with a bar cleaning tool and also with compressed air if you have it available.
Make sure the oil hole is free and clear of dirt on the side at the rear of the bar.
Also make sure the oil hole in the bar lines up with the oil hole in the saw when the chain is at propper tension.
I've had a dealer sell me the wrong bar before and although it fit the mounting studs on the saw the oil hole in the bar didn't line up with the oil hole in the saw.
If that oil hole in the bar gets plugged with sawdust , and they all do then you store the saw without cleaning, the sawdust hardens and seals the hole so the oil has no where to go but down the side of the saw where it usually pools on the floor or in your case the saw case.
There is more to bar maintenance and it saves on the wear and tear if you take a few minutes to keep everything ship shape.

Thank You Sponsors!