iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern Alberta Harvesting Action Shots

Started by Samuel, January 17, 2007, 11:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel

Now that I have struggled, cursed  ::), and had a couple fits :o, I believe I have this picture posting dilemma solved now.  As such I have included/posted a number of pics in my gallery for you to peruse at your pleasure of some of our active harvesting operations and the equipment we are utilizing.  Let me know what you think.

Here is a 2 year old cutblock:

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

sawguy21

8) 8) I miss Alberta 'cept when it's 32 below.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Nice pictures.Do you own this company or just work for them?What is your job?Equipment looks good.I see one skidder did not have chains and one did.You guys are right into the chipping.Was a big deal in my neck of the woods about 25 years ago.Was nothing as big as what you have.Now they will come in and chip but you don't get any money out of it.I had about 10 arces I wanted cleared.I'm working on it myself.I suppose a cutblock is a area that you went in and chipped?If you want to see more havesting pictures go to

havesting pictures

This will keep you busy for a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tonich

Samuel,

Looks all right to me!
But I’m more interested in the silvicultural treatments, systems, practice etc.

And… Is that wood be turned into pulp?
Because I can figure out some logs, good for sawing.
I’m sorry, If this question appears king of noobie!  ;)

Tom

I think you did a jam-up job of posting for it to be so new to you. Believe me, it gets a lot easier and knowing how to optimize will pay off in spaces when you want to put pictures on emails to friends and family. :)

Play around with xat's image optimizer and you may even find it fun.  Even the free version leaves you with a lot of playing options that aren't dependent on size alone.

Corley5

Great pics indeed  8) 8)  Never seen a skidder with a grapple setup like that
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Samuel

Quote from: thecfarm on January 18, 2007, 09:40:41 AM
Nice pictures.Do you own this company or just work for them?What is your job?Equipment looks good.I see one skidder did not have chains and one did.You guys are right into the chipping.Was a big deal in my neck of the woods about 25 years ago.Was nothing as big as what you have.Now they will come in and chip but you don't get any money out of it.I had about 10 arces I wanted cleared.I'm working on it myself.I suppose a cutblock is a area that you went in and chipped?

Thanks for the questions.

Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. (DMI) is an integrated forest products company first established in western Canada in 1969 by Daishowa Paper Manufacturing Co. Ltd. and Marubeni Corporation of Japan. DMI manages 2.9 million hectares of Forest Management Agreement(FMA) timberlands (42.6% is productive) to supply most of its fibre requirements for its pulp mill in Peace River. DMI also has Deciduous Timber Allocation (DTA) tenure on an additional 5.0 million hectares.  The Peace River Pulp Division is a bleached kraft pulp mill that transforms aspen chips (harvested locally) and white spruce softwood chips (from neighboring lumber mills) into high quality pulp.  This pulp is then sold on the world market to paper producers who use it for a variety of high-grade products.  The mill produces over 480,000 air-dried metric tonnes (ADMT) of hardwood and softwood bleached kraft pulp annually. 

DMI is owned jointly between Nippon Paper and Marubeni Corporation.  My position with the company is that I am the Environmental Management and Forest Certification Coordinator- basically the internal watchdog for our woodlands operations.  Your question about siliviculture practices is an easy one to answer, since our prime strategy is to leave for natural and survey after 5 years.  At that time further treatments may be scheduled.

The skidder are at different times of the year.  Most contractors run the narrower type tires in the winter with chains for traction, but our summer practices dictate that they are to utilize the wide flotation tires, to lessen the potential for compaction or rutting.

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
Software Solutions-

Samuel

Quote from: Tom on January 18, 2007, 07:13:32 PM
I think you did a jam-up job of posting for it to be so new to you. Believe me, it gets a lot easier and knowing how to optimize will pay off in spaces when you want to put pictures on emails to friends and family. :)

Play around with xat's image optimizer and you may even find it fun.  Even the free version leaves you with a lot of playing options that aren't dependent on size alone.

I ended up utilizing Microsoft Photo editor as I was more familiar with the program and it seemed to work fine.  I found that other program was distorting the image and coulours so I went with what I know.
Software Solutions-

Tom

There is a check mark that tells the other program to keep vertical and horizontal relative.

Samuel

Quote from: Tom on January 18, 2007, 09:47:36 PM
There is a check mark that tells the other program to keep vertical and horizontal relative.

Thanks Tom.
Software Solutions-

Thank You Sponsors!