iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer trailer brakes, hyd - ele conversion

Started by amberwood, January 17, 2007, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberwood

Evening all..

My LT40 97 is /was factory fitted with DICO / DEXTER hydraulic brakes. After 9 years and VERY little road use I have pulled it apart to check the somewhat lacking performance..and as it turns out to comply with current road registration requirements. The master cylinder was half full of a dark liquid that could be loosely described as brake fluid, the other half full of mud. the result was a very poorly performing cylinder. The RH cylinder was jammed out and the bleed nipple hex sheared off when i tried to open it. At that point I said not worth spending money on, better upgrade and repair at the same time. It turns out that neither the master cylinder or the slave cylinders are avail in AUS.

I can purchase locally the replacement Dexter ele backing plates and controller so that is a huge relief..reusing the Dexter hubs/drums, but was looking for some guidance on the WM installation in particular regarding routing of wiring etc.  Could anyone give me a quick rundown on the path taken by the wiring?

I would rather do it once than find it interferes with something the next time I fire it up.

thanks
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

WkndCutter

I put electric brakes on my saw trailer.  It was a pretty simple task as the wire was pre-coded to each wheel.  I changed the 4 pin wire harness to a 7 pin and just ran the wires inside the frame to each wheel.  If you are not going to submerge you saw in water electric brakes is the way to go. 

Andy

MartyParsons

There will be two wires coming from the magnet on the break assembly install one end to the frame for ground, the other wire usually blue color runs through the frame and to the 6 round connector. The new sawmills have a star washer between the trailer axle mounting and the saw mill frame to penetrate the paint during assembly to improve ground on the axle. You also wnat to make sure you have a ground connection from your vehicle through the connector and the mill frame. We remove the hitch and use a stiff wire and pull the blue wire ( color not important) out of the frame. There is also need for an emergency apply of the breaks if the saw and the vehicle would disconnect.  :o  There is a switch and a small battery that hooks onto the mill frame. Most trailer parts distrubitors have these kits. You will need to check with the DMV and see if this is needed. If you get stoped by the officer in PA they always check to see if these are working and if they are not it will cost you a few $$
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

amberwood

Yep..we require the disconnect system as well..and the 15min of brake application onboard battery capacity. I have the option of adding on the dedicated battery kit with from the trailer parts supplier and charge it off the tow vehicle or tap into the HV side of the hydraulics solenoids..or plug the saw battery into the loom evey time i hook up the safety chain(under the rail). I was thinking of another 7pin trailer plug and fly lead fitted down under the head out of harms way next the chain...then i can fit xtra running lights to the sawhead as well.

thanks for the info
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Thank You Sponsors!