iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse Logging

Started by farmerdoug, January 16, 2007, 08:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I know HorseLogger is one but JeffB says he is busy.  I am really looking for horse loggers that work in eastern Michigan for contracting for future logging jobs.  I think they would be a good fit in the small wood lots and low impact in the more residental areas.  So my questions are;

I am wondering how many horse loggers there are on the Forum?

Any in Michigan?

What rates are you guys charging?

What size jobs do you look for?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jayson

I'm excited to see where this goes! If you some how wind up with team without a driver. I could be a horse logger in Michigan. I have a good friend that has taught me alot the last few years. Mostly just pulling wagons but mostly green stock. Sure beat buying tickets at the county fair. He has Perchron and Belgians and few pairs of mules. Thanks for bringing this up. There is a great article in MotherEarth News last month or the month before. I bet that guy would be a great contact for you. PM if I should look it up for you.

farmerdoug

Jayson,

Anyone who loggs with horses or mules in Michigan would be of interest to me.  I am trying to setup a list of dependable loggers, both horse and machine, for my area that can operate without trashing a woods.  We have loggers around that do that and get a bad rep on it.  I want options both ways.  IM the info please but there maybe others that are interested so you could post it here in this thread too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Furby

Sorta off topic.........
Dirty Jobs will air a segment on Mule Logging next week. ;)

farmerdoug

That is right on target, Furby.  Mule logging is close to horse logging.  I hope I can see it.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

HORSELOGGER

Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

farmerdoug

Horselogger,

Thanks for the info.  Been wondering about you.  You have not posted much lately.  Jeff said you were busy.  Care to fill us in?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

oakiemac

I know a guy that horese logs by us. I can't remember his name but I have his card at home. I'll pm you his number tomorrow.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

farmerdoug

Oakiemac,
Thanks.  I will be looking for hisnumber from ya.

Are you sawing RR ties for Stella Jones,AKA webster, or did you find another buyer?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

beenthere

I agree. Good to hear from Horselogger again.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

farmerdoug, give Denny Willsie a call in Freeland Michigan at Willsie Sawmill.  I know he works with horseloggers to do low impact work for his mill, Tell him Jeff sent ya. Here is his page from the TBN website.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/members/willsie/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jayson

Ok, it looks like you already have some of the resources they talk about in the Mother Earth News. Here are the others,Healing Harvest Forest Foundation and Cedar River Horse Logging and Wood Products. I believe the guy at Cedar River is also the president of the North American Horse and Mule Loggers Association. His name is Tim Carrol. The article also mentioned some cost-share programs, it is called the USDA Forestland Enhancement Program. Another is geared towards farmers who protect erodible cropland. If you can get a copy of that article I think it has quite a bit of info you may find useful. It is the Dec/Jan 2007 and starts on page 92. Good luck.

bitternut

Here is a link that you guys might find interesting. He is in the Souther Tier of Western NY and has all kinds of tools for work horses. I have seen some of his skidding carts in action and they worked pretty slick.

http://www.farmerbrownsplowshop.bigstep.com/generic53.html

He will even teach you how to log with horses if you don't know how and his wife makes some great baked goods.

Stan P

anyone know of a horse logger in Central NY or CT?

Ed_K

Stan, pm me and I'll give you a # for a guy in Worthington,Ma.
Ed K

inspectorwoody

Baileys sells a DVD on Tim Carrol...Very neat and interesting.

Phorester

There's been a few people that tried to make a go of horse logging in my area over the years but never succeeded.  I think it was because they were not loggers to begin with.  They liked working with horses, but they were not loggers.

The only difference I see in horse logging is just in the way you get the logs out of the woods.  You still have know how to set up a logging job, put in landings, load the trucks, get them to the mill, negotiate a price for the trees from the landowner and then with a mill for the logs, be able to cut down big trees safely, know how to buck them for the highest grade, etc., etc., etc.

I think the most successful horse logger would be somebody already successful in the logging business that had an interest in horses.

Ron Scott

I agree. One needs to know a bit more about logging than just handling the horses.
~Ron

Rick Alger

I'm a horse logger in NH. It's good to see some interest in the mid-west.

Re Doug's questions -

To get paid, I negotiate stumpage with the land owner.  I usually pay at least ten percent less than skidder guys because I can guarantee absolutely minimal damage to the residual stand, and I lop all slash to knee height.

Most of the lots I've cut have been between five and fifty acres.  I do have one 400 acre site where I do small cuts on a yearly basis.

My production rate is usually one Tri-axle truckload a week.

Re Phorester's comments -

I agree. 

farmerdoug

Rick,

I am looking for horse loggers to cut stumpage that I have already bought.  Horse logging will be an option for conditions and a possibe selling point for the stumpage purchase.

What would you charge me to cut timber and skid it to the landing, buck, and stack?  That is what I am interested in for comparsion.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Oh, I forgot my Manners. ::)

Rick, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I am very interested in Horse logging so I will be watching for your posts.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Stan P

thanks Ed.

I will PM you. . I am considering horses for one particular stand because it is so steep and I dont want to tear up the ground and open it up for further erosion.  Is there a limit to how steep horses can drag a log.   I dont know the exact slope, but it's certainly a hill that gets your heart rate up after you climb it.  I had a logger tell me he could very easily get a skidder up it. . 

Stan

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Rick.  We always get excited when another horselogger shows up.  You guys make for some interesting pictures and some good small woodlot education as well.

Rick Alger

Tom, Thanks for the welcome.

Doug, assuming your lot was in  Coos County, NH with an easy chance and an excellent stand of White Pine, I would cut, skid and bunch  for $120 per mbf. If your lot was mediocre Spruce/Fir  I would ask for $180.

Thank You Sponsors!