iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just bought a Peterson Swingmill

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 16, 2007, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Hey Nate, another welcome to the forum.  Five kids, self employed, do land surveying, own a sawmill.  If I didn't know better I'd think someone was writing about ME!  :o  Sorry I can't help you with the Peterson, but there's a lot of guys on here who can and will.  But if you ever need to BS about kids, work and needing a bigger house, let me know.

If you're only going to do work on a flat-ish surface and around the mill, a skid steer is a better option than a tractor.  I'd like to have both, but only have a tractor.  I think the skid steer is actually more versatile, but skidding logs out of the woods is NOT one of it's strong points.  However, with a decent set of aftermarket tracks or add-on tracks, and a front-mounted skidding winch (and operating in reverse), you might want to make a go of it.  But I wouldn't, personally. 

Jim_Wahl

Hi Nate and everyone,

Regarding your water and brake ideas, I think you can just ignore both for now
at least. I used the water lube religiously as instructed for the first summer and fall.
Then when I inquired about what I could use during cold weather, Peterson advised
to use nothing, which worked so well that I have been using nothing ever since.
The only thing you might even need it for is really sappy stuff.

They say the only thing between here and the north pole to break the wind is a 3
strand barbwire fence somewhere near the Minnesota state line, and I believe it!
The only time I use my brake is when the wind is blowing hard enough to move it,
(or when not in use) and that is not very often, even here.

The rest of your plans sound very interesting, and I'll be interested in how they work
out for you. My mill is also a 9 inch Peterson antique which work like new to this day.

Good luck, and have fun with your new mill,
Jim Wahl
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Nate Surveyor

I went portable milling the other day, and set up the back end of the tracks higher than the front end. Back is to your back when you are facing the mill.  A mechanism to stop it from rolling would have been nice. It was a 20'2" x 24" White oak log.

And, the water thing, well, when you hit a nice sap knot, or a dammaged part of yellow pine, there are sap pockets there. And I have forgotten to turn on the water a number of times. The water is good for it, and seems to make it run faster.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Nate
Welcome to the FF.  My Peterson has NO brake. It was not on the mill when I purchased it used. I carry a small wedge in my pocket, and just "scotch" a wheel when I need to be away from the carriage. When overnight, the cows and horses will want to "rub-up" on the mill, or chew the belts, hoses, whatever. Be sure to cover the mill COMPLETELY, and I chain it to the track, at either end. The cows will push it, and, cause a "runaway".
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Nate Surveyor

This is USA. We turn faucets to the LEFT to turn them on! The old jug is cracked, and the water valve is full of scale. I think I'd like to replace the water jug. And maybe set it up to turn the proper direction to turn it on! (Wink).

So, 1st, are the Peterson Jugs available? And the water valve, too?

If it is any bit pricy, I can make my own, from a 5 gallon bucket. And I can redo the valve from brass.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Nate

Nate Surveyor

Somehow I think I could make a little plastic paddle, with a grove for the rail, that would keep the rails nice and clean. The prev owner made little ones from metal strapping bands, and hung them on the mill with hose clamps. They are kind of easy to bend up when mobile milling. Maybe a little whisk broom that sticks out.

Nate

FC_PineKnot

Hey Nate,

Another welcome to the forum!  I've enjoyed reading your posts about all the modifications you want to make to your mill.  I've had my Peterson 8" WPF for a little over a year now, and I'm constantly daydreaming (at my REAL job, of course) about little things I could do to make sawing easier with the mill.  Then, I finally get the time to saw and I'm having so much fun (or have to meet some deadline) that I just never seem to get around to making any of those little mods!  BUT, I've found out that the mill works just fine without them :D :D !

I've got some good friends north of you in Russellville.  Get to work there sometimes with my REAL job.  Mighty pretty country up there!

This forum is absolutely the best source of information on sawmilling I've found anywhere.  I went to the Ag Show in Moultrie, GA before I bought my mill.  I got to meet Craig, Tom, Dang, DonK, Woodbowl and a couple of others from this forum there.  They all treated me like I was an old friend! It seems to be that way with everyone on the forum.  More like extended family than just friends!  You'll like it here. ;D

Best of luck with your new mill.

CDN-woodchuck

Enjoy your new mill!!,

I have seen guys use plastic tie straps to attach 'finger nail brushes' to the rollers to keep rails clear as well.

I just bought a swing mill from D&L in Sept. and I am having alot of fun with it, pretty steep learning curve for a newbie tho,

mk

BigTrev

Welcome to the fun-house Nate  smile_juggle

That machine you have really is rare, infact I think it may well be one of only a handfull.

Quite the good score  8)

All the bits and pieces for your water system are available through Petersons though you could probably pick up the bottle and tap pretty cheap locally, try your garden center or plastics store.

Hope it helps.

If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Nate Surveyor

Big Trev, what is that water jug called?

I'd like to get one here, without the NZ postage!

If this gets to be a nuisance, I have a local guy that will make me a bracket that will hold the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. They make those with a good lid here, for next to nothing. Out at a clear cut there are often 5 gallon hydraulic fluid containers that they throw away.

Say, Woodchuck, how do you like the 4 tooth blade?

Nate

Part_Timer

Nate

It's to late tonight but tomorrow if I get home before dark I'll take a picture of the track brake on my ATS for you, it works very well.  Captain has the water jugs and valves in stock I think. 

If you do a search on here you will find a thread on useful sawmill mods.  There is some interesting reading.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Nate Surveyor

It is on the Right Rear of the mill. It is a metal device, that drops over the track. It is stock.

Right Rear is to your right, from the operator's position. And at the near side of the mill.

Why is it not at the OTHER side of the mill? I think I will design one that uses a caliper like a bicycle. And is spring loaded. Can be set to OFF all the time, if desired.

Captain

Nate has to old style drop brake on his right hand track.  The new brake is on the left of the operator on all mills, high or low track position on the WPFs.  I don't have a pic, I just checked.

Nate, the newer mills have a piece of sheet plastic for a track wiper on the left lower rollers.

Captain

Nate Surveyor

Can I get swing blocks from you? (These are the blocks that the swinger swings on.)
And water jugs?
And the new track brake?
And the plastic track wipers?
AND AND NAD!

I never got any tools, or spare parts with mine, as it was used.

What is in the tool kit?

What is in the parts kit?

Nate

Snag

Nate,

I was wandering around the local wally world tonight picking up a few things and I saw some square jugs in the sporting goods sections.  They looked very similar to the peterson ones, the differences were: they were blue (should help keep down algea), they were 7 gallon, and they had no spigot assembly, oh.. and they were only $10.  They also had the groove on the bottom of the jug, just not sure yet if it is the same size, but sure looked it.  A spigot would be simple to add.  I didnt grab one, 'cause I wanted to look at the mill first.  I hate returning things.  Also, I took some advice on a thread I started a few days ago and bought a 12v solenoid valve for my lube that will turn on when the engine is rev'ed up and close when rev'ed down.  Just came in the mail today.  I'll take some pics of the install and let you know how it works.  I don't particularly like the idea of a switch you trigger when you grab it.  I have milled small logs and huge logs in my short milling career, but have realized each log finds me holding, pulling, pushing with my hands in different positions.  If you look at my avatar, you will see a "middle" size log and I really utilized the "swinging handle" on the vertical cuts.  Especially when stepping up and down on the log.

Nate Surveyor

Hey Snag,

Where'd you get the 12v solinoid valve? ::)

I might add, if GROUNDING the switch turns it on, place 3 or 4 switches wherever you want them.

Also, if the water is not on ALL the time, it is OK. I just want it to turn OFF when I stop pushing or pulling.

Nate

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Snag

I got it in an ebay auction that jpad_mi referred me to in another thread.  Here is the link:  Solenoid Valve

Nate Surveyor

Thanks for the links. I did not think of that! :-*

My problem is that I am focused on the next event, like pulling the cut board off, or designing the next cut, and forget and leave the water on. The solenoid should take care of that. On some logs you don't really want/need water, so having 3 buttons (one on the pull handle, and 2 on the push parts) should take care of that.

Now, on the track brake... I think I can use bicycle calipers, and a 4 wheeler lock mechanism.

N

Nate Surveyor

OK, kind of an update.

I had been milling a nice big log, and shut it down, as my 2 yr old approached the mill.

I drug the cut piece off the mill, and he observed that I did not turn off the water for the blade.

He said emphatically "DAD! YOUR SAWMILL IS GOING PEE PEE!"

Too funny! :D :D :D

Anyway, here is a link to a handy Modification that has helped with double cutting long logs:
(Note: Go to the Peterson Forum, if you want to see larger pics)

This first pic is of the Hi track, showing the string:

Then, here is a zoom in on the subject matter, in the first pic:

Then here is the middle of the track, by the center hi track support.

To make this work, you have to really tighten the string, to be as tight as a guitar string. But it really gets the tracks straight. This is really helpful for double cutting LONG logs.

PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORUM GALLERY

Note to moderator: Sorry about the linking. I assumed that due to Peterson's Sponsorship, and all, that this would not be an issue. I somehow thought I saw somebody else post a link to other sawmill company sites, that also had photos. Like references to Wood Miser, and Timber King sites.

Later,

Nate

Thank You Sponsors!