iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just bought a Peterson Swingmill

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 16, 2007, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

It was a used one, and has alot of needs. The previous owner was not real mechanically inclined. It is a 24 horse honda. 9" mill (yes, a rare USA 9" one!)

Anyway, I am just about to get all the stuff worked out. And, I am full of ideas. I used to own a Logosol chain saw mill, So, I have a clue about work!

Anyway, here are some of my ideas:

Install a small pressure switch on the HANDLE, that turns ON the water, when I grab the handle.
Install another switch on the handle, that RELEASES the brake, (build a solinoid activated brake) to keep the mill from rolling, when I release the push/pull handle. Works in conjunction with the water solinoid.

Install a ROTATING  laser, to assist in log allignment. Both Horiz and vertical.

Also, I need to buy / manufacture a logging arch. To pull logs with truck/4wheeler/van.

Also, I want to set up a set of tracks at home, out of angle iron, for STATIONARY milling. The stock aluminum ones should stay on the portable trailer.

Also, I don't really like the HORIZONTAL bracket for holding the sharpner. The LIGHT does not hit the blade at just the right angle (maybe a work around would be a 12v light RIGHT DOWN THERE). Brand X sawmills have a better sharpening position. (IMHO)

Also, I want to build or design a log bunker with a screw jack in it, to raise and lower one end of the log. I even think my 14.4 volt hammer drill could have a fitting on it to do the job.

Anyway, I am looking for folks that have solved some of these problems, and have figgured out more than me!

Thanks for reading my thoughts.

I'm in SW Arkansas

Nate

I know less than I used to.

ronwood

Nate,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new tool.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

beenthere

Nate
Welcome to the forum. From all your ideas, you are going to be a lot of fun to listen to and get pictures from (or are you already putting some in your gallery?  :) ).  Go to 'Help' on the button above if you need to use the photo tutor.
Thanks for stopping by, and hope you have pulled up a stump to stay awhile.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

artenvielfalt

hi there i´m finally getting the internet flat at my house so i will be on the web more often and i have the same idea as you, i have a peterson 10"WPF and will make a stationary rail system also with iron tracks.  and i like to get the rail system from a bandsaw for holding the log, then i like to instal the hydaulic turner too, just so i can make some real big square blocs out of "rotten " birch and ash for sculpturous or wood turners.  i have some friend who is waiting for those rotten logs to be cut into his turning sizes, he can make bowls up to 1,2m in diameter and likes to get some flat floor bowls out of that material.

well i keep you posted when i´m done with my setup and hope to hear from you about yours.  my mail adress is info@art-en-vielfalt.de in germany.
bye ulf

Part_Timer

Nate Welcome to the forum,

I'm the guy you emailed about parts and was wondering if you were able to find them?

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

scsmith42

Nate and Ulf - welcome!

I too have a Peterson, in my case a 10" WPF with 60' of track.  Let me know how your ideas work out - I like the log deck idea that Ulf mentioned - I think that some other FF members have previously done something similar.

I personally have wondered about a log deck that would allow me to quickly align the log (when putting new logs on the bunks), and also a system where I could quickly angle a log to the side for cutting shingles (cutting gooves into the sides of the log in advance with a chainsaw, and then cutting the shingle lengthwise from the log).

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

brdmkr

Welcome Nate.

You will be well pleased with your mill I am sure.  We do like pictures here, so keep us posted.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Nate Surveyor

Here is a pic about a yr old. We need a bigger house!

I cannot seem to figure out how to add this photo to my profile.

You say you like photos, so here is one. I cannot seem to figure out how to edit my profile either.
I'm 41 yrs old, and needless to say, male!

Nate

Nate Surveyor

Do any of you have any experience with the DOUBLE CUT mill from Canada?

He is selling the LEWIS swing mill now, and it is set up with a narrow kerf, and only 4 teeth.

I'm curious as to how this is working out.

Nate

newbietech

Hello everybody looks like another fine day on the Forestry Forum!

Great to see you on the forum Nate, glad you took my advice.

For those of you who don't know me, I work in the Technical department here at Petersons NZ, been here for almost a year in Feb. We are always looking for innovative ideas that can enhance our mills and by the looks of what has been said here, theres plenty.

If you have something that you are itching to get out or want to brainstorm with us, then by all means please e-mail me on lemery@petersonsawmills.com . All customer input is appreciated.

Take care for now yall, keep the ideas flowing.

Kia Ora from this corner of the globe,

Luke

Technical Support

P&B Engineering Ltd
15 Hyland Cresent
PO Box 10078
Rotorua, New Zealand
Phone / Fax:     +64 7 343 9375
lemery@petersonsawmills.com
www.petersonsawmills.com

treebucker

Welcome Nate Surveyor,
I'm curious about your proposed modifications and why you need them. I am considering buying a swing mill/slabber some time in the future. I have much to learn and would want to go into this with my eyes open.

newbietech,
I 've had extensive dealings with factory reps such are yourself in the past. I made 1000's of suggestions over the years. So did my counterparts. Most fell on deaf ears. This costs me, my counterparts, our customers and the factories involved dearly. We heard every excuse you could think of. Most boiled down to apathy, internal politics, and limited R&D funding. Only one factory took my suggestions to heart and ended up with the best and easiest to use product on the market. So what I would suggest, if your company truely doesn't suffer from apathy, internal politics, and meager R&D funding, is to start a user group here to propose ideas for improvement, discuss which have the most merit and marketability, and submit them to your company for feasability and implementation. Forgive me for being skeptical and please don't take this as an attack. It's just that  I've seen too much hyperware and vaporware over the years and seen too many fall victim. I hope you can benefit from the advice of someone who's been there and experienced it for so long.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Gustavo

be wellcome to the forum

you have very goods ideas

a friend  of mine  will buy a lucas mill  827  in a few days 

i have a special question about this kind of  sawmills

how  do you load the logs without  make damages to the frame???

its not  too much work lift(get up) the frame  in each  log????

there are not a better way to load?? 

the double cout  is diferent in both  mills  ..

what about put a  litle crane   or winch to roud up de mill at the end ??

you can make the double cut   whitout  too much work  or   whitout use tools to remove pieces  like peterson

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

Nate Surveyor

My email server has been loosing my emails. Hole in the mail truck. I never got any reply from anybody. I finally called a guy out east, Blake something... His email is *email removed and I got some wheels/rollers for the side to side mill motion.

Have any of you ever made white oak shingles with a swinger?

Nate

One should probably not put their email
or intimate personal information on the internet. 
It can open you up to spam.

Definitely Don't put someone else's personal
info or email address on the internet.

admin

Nate Surveyor

There are 39 ways to load a Peterson Mill.

1.) Use Hi/Lo tracks, and a cant hook. Roll the log into place, and block it.

2.) Use Lo/Lo tracks, and a cant hook. """

3.) Set up a large metal beam, across the milling site. Hook up with a winch, and move as you desire. Handy, cause you can rotate the log, if you have a sling.

4.) Set up right over the log. Be sure and block it.

5.) Use a tractor. OR the neighbors! (wink)

The Peterson mill is handy because there are MANY options. It is hander to move, than a Lewis because the lewis although advertised as "The most portable" it requires 2 persons to place the engine and stuff into the tracks. I'm totally solo. And I think the Hi/Lo option is a peterson only too.
I'm curious about all the pros and cons. These are some that influenced me to want a Peterson.

Watch the videos, and note items that allow a solo operator to run it. If it will work solo, it will work better with a helper. But sometimes the helper is too small to carry the other end of a 300 pound object!

Nate

scsmith42

Nate, the Peterson rep in the NE is Craig Blake, of Timberpro and Majesty Stables.  He's a frequent contributor to the FF under the name of "Captain".

Craig is extremely experienced with Peterson mills, has "been there, done that", and is always receptive to feedback and bouncing ideas.

Re the shingles, I've thought about it, but haven't made any, hence my ideas re some type of log deck that would allow fast and easy shifting of the log.

REgards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

RMay

Nate welcome to The Forum what county are you in I am in Clark county ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

solodan

Nate,
Welcome to the Forum. :)

Kind of sounds like when I bought my Lucas 827. It was used once also. The guy who sold it to me called me up and asked if I wanted to buy it, and then I asked how many hours were on it. He told me that it had 2.5 hours on it. :) I said I would buy it since I was the one who put the 2.5 hrs on it. ;D I bought it used, but I was the only one who had ever used it. :D  

I am real interested in your log bunk idea. Please keep us all posted on that and ask us questions as well. I would like to come up with a log bunk that can shift a log side to side, and also a log turner. I have a Lucas so the up or down for taper is not that big of a deal, I  raise and lower each end frame separately any way. This would be a nice set up to have at my semi permanent location, and then just leave it behind when I am out going portable. :)

Gustavo,

Just roll the log under the frame.  Or if it is a monster, set it up over the log. Real simple. 8)

treebucker

Has anyone considered/used Fabriks http://www.fabrik.us/sawmillsupportequipment.html offerings on bunks for swing mills that have builtin toe and side to side adjustments?

I liked their video: http://www.fabrik.us/sawmillequipmentvideo.html

The only thing that concerned me was their rollers. I thought they should be larger diameter pneumatic tires so it would be easier to turn the logs without debarking.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

farmerdoug

Nate and Ulf,

Welcome to the Forum.  From what I have heard about Peterson mills you guys have great mills.

To you guys that want to start a user suggestion forum you should talk to Captain about that.  His Sponsor Board is open to new topics and posts from any members and he is a big Peterson dealer so he may be willing to handle this for you.  I think that his Board would be an excellent place for your suggestions and dealing with Peterson directly as they are here often and Captain is in the USA also.

So Captain, what do you think of this idea?  Your board is designed for this kind of thing already but we would not want to clutter it up if you do not like it.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on January 16, 2007, 07:21:11 PM

I cannot seem to figure out how to add this photo to my profile.

I gotcha covered on the first one.  :) Next time go to your profile, look to the left for a list of links. Choose Forum Profile Information. You can then change your photo, fill out your Bio, and stuff like that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ga_Boy

Welcome to the FF Nate.

I run a 10" WPF, great machines.  Peterson is a good company to do business with.  From my point of view they listen to what you have to say about the daily use of your mill.

I use mine to operate a small custom saw mill and kiln dry operation.  The only thing is you will soon see the need for a fork lift.  It took me a year of using my tractor with a FEL with a pallet fork frame to fully appreciate what a real fork lift can do for you.  Now I have a Hyater H80 doing the heavy lifting for me. 

Show us some pictures when you get the mill set up.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Captain

Looks like Nate has been calling all over the planet  :)  How are those rollers working out and did you get your adjustments corrected??

Talk about a small world, that mill spent its entire life cutting timbers off land previously owned by Bro. Noble's grandfather in Missouri.  I came from a fellow just 3 miles from Noble's place.

I'm always open to comments and suggestions in my "sponsor news" section.  Yes it is interactive.  I do feel, however, that questions are still best answered here in the "sawmill" board. 

I do carry most consumable parts and accessories(blades, rollers, etc) and provide service and training on Peterson Sawmills.  I will also be doing some occasional contract work for the company.  However, I am no longer a Peterson Regional Center as of the first of this year.  Therefore, product comments and suggestions should be forwarded to them directly.  I will ALWAYS be happy to help with problems here on the Forum, or my IM, EMAIL or phone and share my experience with others.  I am also considering a "tips" section on our website.

Welcome again Nate to the best spot on the internet and let us help you with your questions.

Captain

Burlkraft

Hi Nate,

I bought a used 8" ATS last summer, mostly for the slabber, but I soon found out that it works pretty good for sawing lumber too. Make sure you post some pictures of that mill and all your improvements... ;D   ;D   ;D

Welcome to The Forestry Forum.....

That's a good looking family ya got there.... ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Nate Surveyor

I just got my profile filled in. (thanks Moderator)

I think I want a skid steer loader, with bucket, and forks. It seems that this would be as handy or more handy than a tractor. My first project is to add on to our mobile home. I have 5 huge pines that were given to me. They are 30" dia plus. The bark has not fallen off any but one.
Will they HAVE to dry before I can use them? Of course it depend on moisture content.

If they have too much moisture, I will have to dry them some first.

Another project is a barn. I'm self employed. I get loaded to the gills with my other business, and need something like a sawmill to clear my head.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Captian, my email server has been problematic... Thanks for the parts. Do you stock the 2 piece swing pivot blocks?

I just ordered some from Peterson. 26 bucks shipping!

Another idea is a forum for Cheapskate millers! Like how my rollers on my Peterson were too sloppy. (the ones the carriage rolls on) and I carefully shimmed them with aluminum cans. They are as tight or tighter than the originals now!

Nate

brdmkr

Nate,

I don't know about wheter SYP HAS to be dry before use.  I suppose it depends on the use.  Most will tell you that you can use it for board and batten siding right off of the mill.  I had a similar question regarding framing lumber some months back.  The concensus was 4 - 6 weeks was enough to air dry for framing.  I let mine AD for 6 weeks and framed up my shop.  I am still in the construction stage, but everything seems to be just fine.

I look forward to hearing more from you. 

Mike
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!