iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot new stock pick.

Started by Dana, January 16, 2007, 06:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

As I checked my e-mail this morning, there are the usual two or three new stock recommendations. I blocked the senders as I always do. My question is who are these people sending these and what do they gain by doing this? Is there some kind of a Trojan Horse ridding along or do they recieve compensation if you follow their recommendation?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Mooseherder

These are spammers working for some Marketing company. Here is what a good spammer can make.
This Guy at work is bragging about making 50 Grand a month spamming and we won't be seeing him around much longer.
They get paid for each e-mail sent out. (Paid for e-mail addresses)
Something like half cent for each e-mail. These spammers send batches out everyday. Keep blocking them. This will force them to keep buying blocks of IP addresses. I get the same Hot Picks everyday also and block the sender. :D
Then I get annudder da next day. :D  But I made the spammer buy a new IP address to get thru. ;D

Dana

I thought they must be making money off this some how. All these spammers can't be that bored without some financial incentive.  ::)

Weekend_Sawyer

This means that someone somewhere actually uses thest "Hot stock picks"
I can't imagine.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mooseherder

They get paid just for a legitimate e-mail address that goes thru.
The person receiving the e-mail doesn't have to buy anything for them to get paid, just like a Television station running a commercial, all viewers don't purchase the product being hocked.
Looks like the spammer at work is going to land the prized Disney account thru this Marketing Firm. The firm awards this account to the spammer who gets thru to the most e-mail addresses. This is big money for these creeps. These people have Databases with hundreds of thousands of e-mail addresses. I think this is being looked at right now and new laws could change the way Firms are allowed to spam.
When I asked the spammer how I could stop the Hot Stock spam, he asked me to forward it to him. He said those are the best, if they can get thru my server. There is a way for him to get their e-mail lists by hacking. >:(

Paschale

I've heard and read that these schemes do it because they work for the buggers who send them.  With sheer volume of number, there are an amazingly high number of gullible people out there, or enough people down on their luck at a given moment that they're willing to try a last desperate grasp at hope.  The people behind the emails actually pick some penny stocks, buy them, send out millions and millions of emails, and it seems that enough gullible people bite so that the stock will rise sufficiently to make money for the senders.

Unethical and disgusting...
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

woodbowl

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 16, 2007, 06:47:37 AM
Keep blocking them. This will force them to keep buying blocks of IP addresses. I get the same Hot Picks everyday also and block the sender. :D
Then I get annudder da next day. :D  But I made the spammer buy a new IP address to get thru. ;D

QuoteThey get paid just for a legitimate e-mail address that goes thru.

I get the stock emails too, but I don't know how to block them. I recognize them now because the subject sounds so silly. All I know to do is delete them instead of opening them. Is this the same as a block?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawguy21

You actually need to block the sender. The email will show up in your deleted items file automatically. You should empty that file periodically to save disc space.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodbowl

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 16, 2007, 08:57:04 AM
deleted items file

Where is that and how do I do it? Is it something other than email trash, temp internet files or recycle bin?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

wesdor

Thanks for letting us know they need to be blocked.  I've just deleted them, but if blocking makes them buy a new set of addresses, I'll block them.

I'm totally fed up with this kind of spam.

beenthere

Block them if you can, and add them to your spam list if you can.

Just don't respond to them, as that gives them a valid address to work from in their future, be it selling your valid address to others or using it again.  Often they are just fishing (phishing) and trying every combination they can to get something into your inbox.

Recently, they are disguised at being from a business, like Penny's. They offer a discount or something to entice you to respond to the email they send. Some look pretty legitimate, but are not. Just more Spam and a gimmick to get a valid email address.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Mooseherder, can we please have the name and address and phone number of this guy at work?  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

His name is Tom and he is a little overweight. ;D

Norm

Better yet what's HIS e-mail address? ;D

Stephen1

Woodbowl, if you are using outlook,right click on the e-mail without opening, drop down menue will appear, go to junk e-mail,another drop down menue should appear, click on the add sender to junk e-mail list.  :)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mooseherder

If you are using Outlook, you can also go to the message menu. The drop down box has Block sender feature.  The tools menu drop down box has a Blocked Senders list you have blocked.

Furby

I'll settle for Tom's MI, last name and zip code.

TexasTimbers

I get bombarded with them too. But I read in one article online that said if you block them it also verifies them. I think this is bad information. I am blocking the email addresses of someone and the person can't tell that I'm doing so as far as I know.
I wish we had "Sender I.D." so we could get the addy for all these spammers. We could conspire to send 200 emails simulataneously, all full of viruses.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Quartlow

Actually blocking them on your email program doesn't do a thing but move it to the trash folder.
As long as your ISP lets it through to you and it doesn't bounce back to them they know they have a good email address.

I can go to my ISP's website and access my email, I can also block them there, when I do that their email is returned to them as undeliverable, no reason why it just tells them it failed. Then they don't know if its good or being blocked by the ISP.  ;)

As for why they send them out, its called pump and dump. They buy some of the stock they are promoting. IF they get enough people to buy it the stock price rises and they then dump their stock back to the market making a profit. Of course as soon as they dump it the this causes the price to decline and your stuck with a worthless stock
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Dana

Quartlow. Often the days mail has two or three senders promoting the same stock are you saying they are all buying and selling the same stock? Or is it one person with multiple e-mail addresses /identities?

Quartlow

Dana, could be several people working together, or one with multiple email address's. I heard about it from a friend

CBS news article

Usa today article

GooglePump and dump search
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

stonebroke

I have att and I have never gotten a spam. Is it luck or is it att?

farmerdoug

I use to read them once in a while and then watch the stock to see the price bump and dump.  It is funny because if you look at the price when you get the email it already has jumped.  To me this is a red flag as it means that the investing is already there and waiting for a sucker to bite.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

logwalker

They may be targeting stocks that have already gotten a little bump for some reason. It would look to an interested party like there was a lot of interest in the stock. This scheme would cycle in just a few days time. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

pigman

I'm too smart to pay any attention to hot stock tips from any source. Back when I was in school someone told me to invest in some Berkshire Hathaway stock. The stock was high at the time and I just knew it was a fly by night company and the stock would crash in a short time.  ;D I did my own investigating and put my money in that great company Enron. We all know that energy companies are a good investment. ;)

Bob the smart investor
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

highpockets

Several years ago American Airlines was some $ 1.30 per share. I had the idea that they were going under ad would not any. well they are some $34.00 now. 

I did buy delta at $0.64.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

farmerdoug

You could have bought KMart stock for that too.  The company is still here but the stockholders were screwed out of their money.  :o Never saw that coming but I did not buy any of their stock either. 

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

maple flats

The only stock that ever made me money was inventory stock to sell or make into a more valuable product. I'll buy logs, syrup bottles/jugs, you get the idea. I have an aunt who had a lot of stock in the company she retired from. It WAS worth plenty but the company ran into the ground. My aunt dumped it before many others but silll lost plenty. I bought some stock (mutual funds, 2 different ones) only put in $1000 several years ago but it is now only worth $230 about 10 yrs later, as I say I'll stick to inventory that i know i can improve it's value. However I do own some rental houses and have for over 35 years (but not the same ones), they have done well.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Cedarman

I've sunk a ton of money in my wife and especially the 4 kids. Hope is pays off when I get old.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

getoverit

There was a time when all of my stock market purchases were "penny" stocks.

If you own...... say...... 10,000 shares of a stock and it is worth .10 per share, and for some reason the price of the stock goes to .20 per share, you have doubled your money. The more shares you have, the more money you make. In this case, $1000 profit.  Of course if you had owned 100,000 shares, you would have made $10,000 profit.

This is what the spammers for stocks are hoping... that because of their e-mails you will cause a temporary bump in the stock price so they can make money quickly.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Mooseherder

The only stock I have ever invested in is for the company I work for and a Stable Value Fund.
You can see and feel the pulse/direction of where the price of the stock is going when you are in the buildings.
This can be a dangerous strategy in the long run if you don't keep an eye out for the Key performance indicators like same store sales, net profits, market conditions, company debt, price to earnings ratio, money in the bank, forward planning and the biggest IMO (current leaders of any company).
As an example, If you look at what the Orange big box gave as severance to their departing CEO a couple weeks ago, 200 Million! :-X.  There is a company I would never invest in. That is just nonsense and their stockholders should be upset.
My theory is invest in something you know about.
Looking forward long term for me, Me thinks I am gonna invest in myself. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Back when I used to work out of the house, I had my previous wife watching the
CNN channel. I instructed her to make note of "Movers" either up or down.

We worked well together, and made some good money on "Dish Network" stock, among others.

I had an online trading account.  Then, along came Enron and That other Energy Co. Mutual Funds were too slow to stop the slaughter, and we lost out >:( >:(

I prefer trading for ME, NOT for them overpriced "Brokers". 
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!