iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sequia trees

Started by J Beyer, February 13, 2003, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

Any reason that these trees could not survive in Wisconsin?  From what I've seen these trees can survivve temps as low as 20 below zero, provided they get sufficient water in the summer.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Tillaway

If you mean Sequoia, then they might.  They have been planted off site for timber production in California and I have seen them on Washingtons Olympic Pennisula as well.

In California they are considered a noncommercial "B" species.  Since their native range is very small, and they are all protected there, they can be planted off site avoiding Californias draconian laws regarding timber harvest.  So far none have reached harvestable size on the private plantations but I am sure the laws will be changed when they are.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Mark M

In order to reach their size potential they thrive on and indeed require the heavy fogs that are normal daily occurences along the coast. They actually pull moisture into their needles at the tops of the tree where the circulation system of the tree can't pump to. The 50-60 degree average temperature of the area are also important to the life cycle of these trees. They will grow about anywhere, but will never attain their true size and stature without the coastal fogs and temperatures that nurture them and at the same time keep other competing species, such as pines, stunted and sodden.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

Mark,
Maybe they would do better than you are lead to believe, if we just gave them a couple of millenia to mature. :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mark M

Hi Ron

I think you are right, who has been around 600-3000 years to see what happens? Also I can't help but wonder if they need is fog then why not hook up a mister (not the mrs. kind)?

I hope to see one of those someday, the only big trees I've ever seen are the cotton woods around here and those 2 big pine trees over in Itasca State Park. Also there used to be a big birch tree up by Pigeon River just before you cross into Canada eh.

Mark

J Beyer

What species/common name of pine would grow quite large in Wisconsin?  I've seen some big white pines but would like to grow pines that have better structural strength.  thought I spelled "sequoia" wrong.

Minnesota_boy

How large and strong of a tree do you need?  Red pine is native to Wisconsin and grows fairly large and has fairly good strength.  Ponderosa would probably grow well there too.  You might have to wait a couple of centuries for them to mature though.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

Mark,

If a guy stood out there misting that tree for 6 or 8 hunnard years and it didn't work,  I bet he would be pithed ::)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

Yes, its best to stay with the trees native to their specfic ecosystem and landscape. Geology, climate, soil, ground vegetation, moisture, etc. are all connecting elements before getting to productive tree species within their range.
~Ron

J Beyer

Is Ponderosa pine a good tree for Wisconsin?  When I get my mill I'll have to make a deal with a landowner I know that has many acres of Red Pine.  It's taken 20+ years for some of the trees to reach 14" DBH with the smallest at around 11-12".  But then again the spacing is pretty tight, but there is virtually zero taper in each 8ft log.

JB

Tillaway

The Sequoias grow in the Sierras, the Coastal Redwoods need the fog.  Both seem to do well offsite.  Coastal Redwoods grow in down town Redding as ornamentals providing they get irrigation.  It gets to about 117 degrees in the summer and 10% humidity.  Lumber air dries too fast here sometimes. ;D  The Sequoias don't need the irrigation so they are planted off site for timber production.  Both grow exceptionally fast, Coastal Redwoods will be 80" DBH and 250' tall in about 80 years in managed stands.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Yes, Tillaway, two years ago we dropped one that was 90 plus and 80 years old. It was uplifting a house that was 100 years old and the tree had to be removed. :'(  The first four logs had to be cut 9' in order to even get them picked up with the self loader, then we had to chain the things as the grapples could not grab them. The first log had about 1950 board feet log scale. It makes a beautiful panel type wood for walls and ceilings.  It will not last outside for very long as decking of fencing.  :'(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!