iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is the Best!!

Started by bkellyvtme, January 14, 2007, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

Wow, excellent. I love the part about never learning to swim. Can you image kids today doing that job not knowing how to swim?
???

Mooseherder

Enjoyed their cooking set up fer baked beans also. I bet them boys burnt some carbs moving them logs on the river. Suppertime appears to be an important part of the daily grind. ;)

SwampDonkey

Would have liked to have seen the video, but I'm on dialup. It would have been much the same over here in NB. My grandfather used to be on the river drives some, but he was mostly cutting and peeling. Grand parents talked of cooking and of different ones that used to cook in those days. The last drives here were in the 60's.

Have you guys checked the forum for 'Historic Milling and logging' Photos? There is a huge thread on it buried   deep inside someplace, just waiting to be looked at. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Doubt if knowing how to swim would have made much difference. One slip and they would have been trapped by the logs. That was dangerous work, prolly would not get past OSHA.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Phorester

Shoot, they didn't have to swim. Eating all those beans they wouldn't sink anyway.  The gas would hold'em up, long as they held it in. 

Sleeping in wet boots had it's own charm too, I'll bet.

Do all y'all up there talk that funny?    ;D

Samuel

Quote from: Phorester on January 15, 2007, 10:07:44 PM

Do all y'all up there talk that funny?    ;D

Being a Maritimer I will have to agree that those across the border into Maine (especially Southern parts) seemed to have a language of their own for sure.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Mooseherder

That is known as the Downeast accent.
You can hear it along the Coast from Machias to Portland, maybe even beyond.
The last year I lived in Maine was in Columbia Falls/Addison area about 22 years ago.
Being a Northern Maine boy, I kinda stuck out like a sore thumb cause I was almost french Canadian with my accent.

Phorester

My Canadian inlaws get a hoot out of my southern accent, as I do theirs.  I can't figure out why they think mine is odd.........

SwampDonkey

Phorester, I had a friend living in your kneck of the woods for 3 years and his accent was changing. He'd never admit it though. I never mentioned it, what would be the point. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SeaDog

Phorester, you sound normal to me!
Great film Y'All.
Later,
Doug

Phorester

SWAMP, sounds like your friend is finally learning to talk proper.  ;D

There's a new waitress in my local coffee-stop restaurant from North Carolina.  Got a nice Southern drawl..... Several of us drink a few extra cups of coffee just to stick around and hear her talk.

SwampDonkey

You sure it's just the talk that makes ya stick around? She sure must have a mesmerizing tongue, what she saying? :D :D :D

leweee

:D :D :D SD ....I don't think the accent is the reason they are hanging around. :D :D :D
              so to speek 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

Almost took up drinking coffee myself last night. ::) ::)
Got a heck of a good looking young waitress at the Starbucks in the Meijer store I was at.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

Now Furby's going sophisticated, now that he's hangin out at Starbucks for the scenery. ;D

Tom

I've been know to do the same thing.  Good for you, Furby.  It's all those little wiggly, creep-crawly things that get into girls clothing at the coffee shops that make it a place to hang out.

SwampDonkey

This being the forum that it is, I don't dare take this thread into the next level. Oh, the temptation. :D :D  ;D

Tom

Thirty lashes across the eyeball with a wet noodle for even thinking it, swampdonkey.  :D :D :D :D

Furby

Let's just say this was one time I didn't mind how long I was waiting in line to check out. ;)

Phorester

SWAMP, it doesn't matter what she's saying or how she looks.  We keep asking her questions just to hear her drawl an answer.  Making the other waitresses peeved cause we all line up on whichever end of the counter she's working. 

Warren

Used to work with a woman whose family moved from Dayton, Oh to Warner Robbins, Ga for a few years while she and her younger sister were still in school.  She remarked about how her sister retained the southern drawl long after returning to yankee land.  Seems the "Southern Belle" mystique had a certain affect on Northern boys...      :D :D :D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

bull

taint no problum wit da wayd thay talk upa maine a way...... might have summtin to do wit da beans hey. Can't get dare from ear !!!!!
Im not pickin on anyone, my speakin comes awful close to theirs

Thank You Sponsors!