iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just want to cut afew trees for furn etc.

Started by wooddawg, February 13, 2003, 02:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooddawg

Hi,
thinking about logosol (price seems kind of high )or a chainsaw mill of some type as I just want to cut boards afew timbers for myself for now.have access to mostly oak hickory ash  most oak run from 10-24inch across eye high (6 ft)up, plus some in the 4 -5 ft across but only about 8 or 10 ft of trunk to limbs most is hard to get to with truck trailer.on creek with ravines etc.although can get other trees to cut.
want to go as cheap as possible,have several 100 ft  and 25 ftrolls of 3/8 full chisel plus 150 or more of .325 chain I could recut for ripping.
would need a bigger saw all I have is poulans and stihl o28's and 029's.any suggestions???

whats smallest diameter log worth cutting afew boards or post from if its just for yourself?
don't need any boards over about 6+ feet plan to dry for furniture or should I get them longer?
what is the smallest cedar worth cutting?if I just wanted boards for cedar chests?most are about 10 inch or less
at the bottom.
any suggestions or ideas?
thankyou

Kevin

Chainsaw mills like the Alaskan are inexpensive if you already have a decent saw.
They are labor intensive but will serve your purpose.
You can take the mill to the log so you won't require any heavy equipment.
They are slow but it makes for an enjoyable hobby.
 I wouldn't consider milling anything less than 12"dbh with the Aklaskan.

wiam

I hate to discourage anyone from milling, but if you need to buy a good size saw and an alaskan, it might be worth hiring it done if you only need a little cut.  Having said that, milling your own lumber is fun, rewarding, exciting, interesting......oh what the heck, go for it.

William

grampt1

Have you looked at the RIP/Saw brand portable band mill? I have one and I am in about the same boat as you, sawing for myself and it works pretty good for what I am trying to do.Check them out at www.ripsaw.com you may be able to use the chain saw motor that you already have.

woodbeard

For the cedar logs, if you want some wood for woodworking projects, the cheapest way to go might be a granberg mini-mill or beam machine for the 028. Use this to square up the log and then resaw short lengths of them on a bandsaw. Well, really you could just do it all on the bandsaw if you wanted.
Just a thought,
George

Captain

The Logosol M7 is a great mill for the smaller logs (6" to 20").  I know because I owned one.  They are well built and the frame is extremely rugged, I cut some 32+ inch oak on it!
 ;)
I had the best luck with low profile ripping chain, kerf is reduced to 1/4" from 3/8".  It was much faster and cheaper, it is commercially available from Bailey's by the roll.  The saw? How big are your logs?  If you only run a 16" bar, probably an Stihl 046 could handle it, but not well.  I tried mine.  My 066 ate up anything the 16" bar would enter, but the 25" bar in hardwood left me wanting something bigger (088 for example). The Logosol is a great option if you already own a saw big enough, but if you need a big powerhead on top of it all, I would consider a small bandmill or swing mill for a couple thousand more.  Check out the sawmill exchange for prices on used mills (www.sawmillexchange.com) You will be much happier with the production.  I sold my Logosol because I caught the sawdust fever and grew out of it in 10 months. ::)

It becomes difficult to slice small boards (your small cedar question) on the Logosol once the cant gets thinner, the bunks are 7ft apart and the cant sags in the middle.  They have an edge support, which helps, but you must be careful to watch for the cant sagging in the middle.

Please feel free to email me with any specific questions....
timberpro@aol.com

Captain

J Beyer

Here is my favorite website for sawmill links.  Having both an Alaskan type mill and a bandmill are both good combos.  A used 066 powerhead can be bought for as little as $500 with shipping.  There are many inexpensive bandmills out there.

I have the Alaskan Mill, Alaskan Mini-Mill, and working on getting a bandmill.  this way I have it all for under $8K.

Logosol also has a smaller mill called the Woodworker's Mill.  These are just smaller versions of the M7 sawmill.  Same weight and diameter capacity but can handle logs as short as 44".

Here is my favorite website for sawmill links.  Just scroll down to the sections starting with "mill manufaturers":

http://www.xmission.com/~sherwin/sawyer1.htm

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

wooddawg

thanks for the replys.
just want to try afew logs or pieces of logs
could just go down  to a bandsaw mill and buy the lumber from him.
but want to try this myself.
I have always cut my own fire wood and for several years cut and sold several hundred loads a winter.
also cut trees out for others.
i have sold walnut for firewood in the past!
never thought of milling it for self
(I was clearing land for a guy take what i want we burned the rest)
I am getting older(bored) but need to go as cheap as possible

J Beyer

For the work and effort put into chainsaw milling, the Norwood Lumbermate is a good deal.  just about everyone that has one says it is a real good machine.  U.S. prices range from $3895 for a 9hp mill to $4995 for the 20hp unit.  At last check the Logosol came in at just over $3K.

The 9hp mill is under powered, should do okay with the 13hp mill.  the only downside is that you have to put it together.  But many people that have bought a Norwood like the idea of putting it together since it saves them money and know how to fix anything on it.

JB

chet

I just checked the curent price for the Logosol,  $3395 with an 066 Stihl. For only $500 more I think you would save yourself a lot of work with the Lumbermate even with only the smaller engine. The savings on running and maintaining the little honda compared to the chainsaw would get you back that $500 rather quickly.    just my $.02
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Rick Schmalzried

One major advantage of the logosol or the alaskan over the other entry level mills is that they go directly to the log and so you don't need ANY equipment to manuver logs.  You just pull boards off and carry them out.  The alaskan has an advantage over the logosol in that (just as with a swinger) you leave the log lay.  With the logosol you still have to have a method of getting the log up onto the mill.  Even with ramps, once the log gets above about 14" this gets to be a tough job for one person.

Before you go spending a log of money you may want to check out the Yahoo milling group.  
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milling/
This is a bunch of chainsaw milling fans.  There is a LOT of information to be gleaned from this bunch.

Several points that I have picked up:
You need a longer bar than you think.  Once you bolt the alaskan (or logosol) onto the bar you lose at least 6" of usable capacity.
Depending on what type of lumber you want, you don't necessarily need a super large saw, although your 028 is probably on the small side.  Cutting full width planks will be VERY slow going, however if you want 6" wide boards, you can cut a 6" thick plank off the log, rotate it 90deg and then cut your boards off of this 6" thick plank.  Except for the 1st cut, the saw will only have to cut 6" thick, which your 028 should handle.
Oil/fuel mix is very critical so you don't burn up your saw.  It won't get periods of idle to allow cool down.

I would suggest either purchasing or building an alaskan mill and trying it with the equipment you have.  You can buy them from Harbor Freight for under $200 (buy the largest one you can as it will fit on a smaller bar), or if you can weld you can build one easily.  If necessary I can snap some close up photos for examples.

Of course, remember, this opinion is worth about as much as you paid for it.  :)

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

J Beyer

Try this site for chainsaw mill stuff.  This is the place where I got mine from.  Ralph Foster is the guys name and is a HUGE contributor to the Yahooo! milling group.  The 028 should do okay with small stuff, less than 12".  I used my 036PRO and had a tough time in 14" Ash.

www.fosterssales.com

JB

Thank You Sponsors!