iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Ice?

Started by Larry, January 13, 2007, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Well, guess if you got ice you probably don't have the juice to respond. 1-1/2" in Springfield Missouri with more forecast for tomorrow.  Couple hundred thousand without power in a band around I-44.  I'm in KC...not much yet but nuff to cancel most of the flights out of the airport and shut the train station down.  Boss is in northwest Arkansas...no ice yet but 1" forecast for tonight.

Chainsaws gonna be busy tomorrow...be safe.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kcwoodbutcher

Where are you at in KC?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Larry

Well, I was out in Raytown attending a funeral...back in far north Missouri where we don't allow ice...at least at the present time. ::)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

We've got a combination of about an inch of ice and sleet.  Sounds like more is falling after dark now.  No loss of power.  I hope we don't.  We've got wood heat that don't depend on power but our water comes from a deep well. Three women without water starts to be a real problem in a few hours.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

We are just above freezing so just a light rain all day.  Weatherman talks like we might get about a fourth inch ov ice later tonight. Sure makes it hard on dairymen as well as the stoopid cows :(  That doesn't worry me as much as my grandson -------he's due to be born in the next few days.  It's about 80 miles to the hospital in Springfield and they are coated with an inch and a half of ice and expecting more.  I suppose everything will turn out O.K.-----We only got about half way to Springfield when our youngest son was born and it was nice weather then. :D :D

Say,  that reminds me,  whatever happened to Gordon-----remember him?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

beenthere

Why, didja lose him on da way to Springfield  ??? 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

breederman

We are still above freezing this morning but have a winter storm warning for ice tonight.
Better go get the cows bred and get back home I guess.
Together we got this !

jgoodhart

Nope, got some real thick fog though.

Norm

No ice but cold with snow, first real snow this year too. They started out saying 12"s then 8" then 6"....how about we don't really know. :D

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 13, 2007, 10:40:54 PM
  That doesn't worry me as much as my grandson -------he's due to be born in the next few days.  It's about 80 miles to the hospital in Springfield and they are coated with an inch and a half of ice and expecting more.  I suppose everything will turn out O.K.-----We only got about half way to Springfield when our youngest son was born and it was nice weather then. :D :D

Last time I was through Springfield I noticed they had a lot of motels.  Maybe a room on the ground floor somewhere neer the hospital would come in real handy?
Sawing since '94

Faron

Beenthere, I believe Gordon delivered his son ? in a parking lot on the way to the hospital a few years ago.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

woodmills1

we are getting ice right now.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 14, 2007, 07:50:55 AM
Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 13, 2007, 10:40:54 PM
  That doesn't worry me as much as my grandson -------he's due to be born in the next few days.  It's about 80 miles to the hospital in Springfield and they are coated with an inch and a half of ice and expecting more.  I suppose everything will turn out O.K.-----We only got about half way to Springfield when our youngest son was born and it was nice weather then. :D :D

Last time I was through Springfield I noticed they had a lot of motels.  Maybe a room on the ground floor somewhere neer the hospital would come in real handy?

The problem is that it's  a long trip over partly impassable roads to Springfield at the present time.  My daughter-in- law has a brother that lives a couple of miles from the hospital,  but he, as well as most of Springfield is without power and don't expect to be until Wed. or Thursday.  They are going to church this morning,  so evidentally don't think he will arrive today ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bibbyman

It's 4:30 pm 32 degrees and raining.  We've just had to go out and clean the ice from the gutters on the house because we were getting some leakage.  Looks like it'll rain for an hour or two then turn to freezing rain/sleet and then to snow.  I'm sure Brooke would say "COOL!"

Here is a picture I took about 10:00 am.  Brooke is just above center of the photo with her slead on her head.  She's been wanting more snow so they could have another "snow day".

The strange thing about this ice is that it came over warm ground.  You can walk on the ice and its like walking on thin ice on a pond.  It will crack and you can see water and air bubbles move under your feet.  Yet it's strong enough that it won't crush through when driven over.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

sure was slippery goin out to fill the wood furnace this morning.  We didn't get much, just a light drizzle that froze on almost all surfaces.  It is supposed to be more of the same today, only heavier.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Paschale

I awoke to ice covered with snow.  Blech. 

Should make the hour long trek down to Kalamazoo for work today a little longer than an hour!

I went out before I showered and fired up the car--let the heater do most of the work for me.   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Cedarman

Just checked rain gauge.  Over 3" and still raining.  Been raining since 2 Friday afternoon.  54 and no ice.  Don't want any either.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TexasTimbers

We have it. "pose to clear off this a.m. but everyone knows weathermen are liars.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

bull

31 degrees, Rain and ICE !!!!    guess we got it
10:45 AM  50" birch trees top's are bet to the ground...... Hopefully nothing snaps !!

TexasTimbers

bull take some pictures of that!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

bull

kevjay i have pictures..... but thanks to the ice storm unable to get a DSL connection..... had to short 1 minute power outages and lost the DSL...... have phone connection but to slow for pictures
will try later.......

Ed_K

Rain,ICE and 34. I sanded town rds this am then went back a 3pm to cut road trees that bent onto the rd. Did 10-12 barberchairs not fun.
Ed K

Qweaver

We are about 30 miles below Houston and the temps are forecast to be @ 32 tonight.  You'd think that the world was coming to an end!  Every news program focused almost the whole program on the cold and how dangerous it was going to be.  Few people know how to drive in freezing weather down here so I guess it is dangerous because of that.  If we applied the same rules that are used here to our roads in WV, no one would go anywhere most of the winter. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

woodmills1

we were partially lucky that it was less than quarter inch of ice, but lost power around 3 till 9:30 and then again some time after midnight till 8:00 am.  In between as I went outside to fire the furnace with smaller hot burning wood I could hear branches falling around 1 or 2 a minute in the woods.  I took a ride this morning and didn't see many whole trees down but branches large and small down eevery where.  In one of the photos the vertical branch is actually hanging down on the wires, and road is closed.  Only trouble is now wind and temps in the single digits for tonight.

leweee

a few pics of the back yard. ;D

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Bibbyman

I got out and did some sawing this afternoon.  The temperature gage said it was about 20 but the sun was out and the wind light so it felt comfortable.   Sawing went as I expected – slow and not very productive.  I was sawing blocking out of low grade logs and even then some didn't yield half of what they should have. 

Everything gives you more problems when it's cold.  Right off the dust hose connected to the mill broke.  Rather than fix it,  I left it off and let the sawdust just spill on the floor.  I had windshield washer fluid in the water mix but it still didn't want to flow right.  I'd turn it up to a flood and it would flow but when I turned it down where it should trickle,  it would stop.

It just kept getting progressively cloudier,  and there was a light snow in the air.   The wind picked up to a light breeze and made it even more uncomfortable. But,  I pushed on and got 50 pieces made – my goal for the afternoon.

As I was walking to the house a few minutes before sundown,  the sun broke between the cascade of dark clouds and provided an orange backlight to the trees behind the shed to the west.  It made them look like inverted crystal chandeliers.  I figured it was nature's way of paying me for my hard work under difficult conditions. 

I thought of getting the camera and taking a picture but the batteries are dead and I'm sure the site wouldn't have lasted long enough for me to get it and get back out there in any case.
Sawing since '94

breederman

We never went below freezing untill this morning,  so no ice sounds like some areas west of here got hit and north east of here got it pretty hard.  Spodda be about 5 degrees here in the morning,after the winter we have had so far that is gonna be a shock. :o
Together we got this !

farmerdoug

Yesterday we received a 1/4 inch of ice glazing.  Enough to make the roads slippery and the trees a crystal forest.  Very pretty in the sun today.  Not much damage to the trees but around here some people tend to forget from snowstorm to snowstorm on how to drive in the winter. ::)  The glaze of ice sure makes it tough to handle things outside though.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

woodmills1

went to go work..........fell.....got up...................fell............hmmmm still on the grass so inside rest of day for me. :D

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Qweaver on January 15, 2007, 11:43:15 PM
We are about 30 miles below Houston and the temps are forecast to be @ 32 tonight.  You'd think that the world was coming to an end!  Every news program focused almost the whole program on the cold and how dangerous it was going to be.  Few people know how to drive in freezing weather down here so I guess it is dangerous because of that.  If we applied the same rules that are used here to our roads in WV, no one would go anywhere most of the winter. 
Quinton

I reckon you're down in the industrial complex instead of WV currently.

Well, way up here north of you   :D, it's been in the mid to high 20s with rain/sleet for quite a while.  It was still dark when I left the house this morning, but could see light shining on icicles all over. 
And certainly, these rapscallions around here are every bit as 'productive' driving on ice/snow as they are around Texas City.  That habitual hauling a** to and from redlights doesn't work out for them too well.   :D 
One just has to learn to give them very wide berths.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Qweaver

TCS, you are far enough north of us that you actually get some real winter but the influence of the bay helps us alot.  I'm just amazed at how the media in Houston just goes over the edge here when winter weather threatens.  Every tv station pre-empts everything else to focus completely on a few icy overpasses.  They even pre-empted the networks this morning just to give the same weather reports and closings over and over and over.  How stupid ::)
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

PineNut

Have you ever noticed how these media types seem to think they know everything about everything and expect you to believe them? Some of their advice may be realistic but much of it is much to do about nothing. Take part of it with a grain of salt and the rest of it with a whole box of salt.

solodan

I can't figure out how the media and National Weather Service gets their info. Just the other day I checked the weather for my zip code on weather.com, and it said that the low and high for the day before had been 28° and 48°. ::) Well the ground does not freeze at 48°, neither does a bucket of water freeze solid for two weeks, or does the pond freeze 3" thick. Everyones thermometer around me read more like 14°- 28° ???  I have read the reports that it will be 55° and raining, and I go outside and it is 28° and dumping snow. One day I was watching the Weather Channel and they said the storms had already pasted through the west and it was sunny everywhere out west. Well I was looking out my window watching it snow while they were saying this. It snowed for three more days and we got about 3 more feet of snow. I realize that in a geographical region like California where we have so many micro climates, it may be more difficult to forcast the weather, or even report it, but it is still aggrivating. Is it this bad everywhere. ???

beenthere

Nope
Pretty darn accurate here (within a few minutes anyway  :) ).

But with no wind, a few hundered feet in elevation can make a big difference in temperature.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

We haven't actually had sure enough winter here since around '90.  Since we don't get piped in television, I don't have to put up with it.   :D

Still been holding in the 20's and yet percipitating.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Furby

Yeah, the weather service around here really sucks.
They really can't even come close.

Kinda like two of our local newscasts.
One is based in a town further South, but picked up around here.
The other is based right here in town.
Neither one gets the weather right, but the one in town is closer to being right then the other.
Ask anyone what the forecast is......... they will most likely be wrong because they were watching the station South of here. ::)

solodan

I know what you mean Furby, cause the local station here comes from 150 miles away. ::) 10 miles away from me can mean 30° difference in temp. Big difference from 30° and snowing and 60° and sunny.

Thank You Sponsors!