iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will This Work? Question for chainsaw millers.

Started by Cypress Man, January 12, 2007, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

I saw a good bit of large diameter cypress logs on a WOODMIZER LT40shd E25.  I currently use a Husky 395xp with a 36"bar to cut the spurs down before cutting them on the bandsaw.  This is usually difficult and time consuming with some of the large swells on cypress.  I was thinking of getting a 66" double ended bar with a helper handle(with roller) from Baileys to help cut down the swells to 24"wide to fit between the saw throat.  Would this be helpfull or faster than how I'm currently doing it ?  I've never used a double ended bar before.  How safe is it?  All info would be appreciated.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Tom

Cypress man,
This isn't a direct answer to your question, but is something for you to think about.

The swelled butts of swamp or wet soil grown woods, like cypress, is composed of a different density of wood than the rest of the tree.  I don't know what your market is, but the swelled butts can generate a market of their own.  When sawed as  lumber with the rest of the tree, they present a challenge in drying them to remain in the same plane as the upper portions.  Sawed alone, with a little bit of an artistic eye, the produce what we have called Flame-grain.  It is a distinctly admirable "V" or TeePee shaped grain pattern that is desirable as door panels or, if joined properly, as decorative table tops, wainscoting  and the like.   It might take some marketing if your customers never thought of it, but you may have customer who are already aware and just don't know where to get it.

The large root tops, when sawed containing a portion of the swollen butt, make Table legs, Chair legs and backs and supports for fireplace mantels.  They can be used as a fairly decorative addition to the rustic atmosphere of log and timber-frame homes.

The wood in the swelled but is good turning material and can produce a pretty ornamental bowl in the right hands.

If you find this feasible, you may want to cut the swelled but off and process it separately.

Just some food for thought.

4woody

Cypress Man how long are your logs if you look at my pic you  might get a good ideal on how to do it an you wont need the 60 in bar

Cypress Man

4Woody

I have a good bit of logs 16', 14', & 10' That have approximately 32" tops with swells 52"wide.  I think the longer bar would help ensure cutting through without getting hung up.  I was thinking two people operating the saw and bar could just "free hand " the cut if thats possible.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

4woody

Hi CypressMan what i woud do is nail a 2x6 on each end of the log an use them rollers like in my pic an just shoot right down one side an then set the rollers on the other side an go throuh that side it is safe an dont take to long oh an i have not had one hag up you can put some wages in as you cut an 36 in bar will be fine

4woody

CypressMan does the cypress cut easy like pine or hard like oak whats it like to cut i think i woud sharppen the chain to a 5 deager angal

Cypress Man

4Woody,

Cypress is one of the easiest woods to saw.  I think you misunderstood the reason I might need a long bar to saw through the butts.  I'm not worried about it getting hung up in the log within the saw cut, but more in getting hung up in the width of the butt I'm sawing through.  For instance, if the but end is 48"wide, the chainsaw bar would need to be longer than 48" to complete the cut, right?

4woody

CypressMan if you do it the way i exspained you wont need a biger bar an you will have a stright cut i use a leveall when i put the 2x6 on the ends of the log an use a square to keep the cant square it will work beter then free hand if you need me to poast some pic i will

LOGDOG

Hey CypressMan,

Looks like we're neighbors. I cut some big Cypress these last few weeks myself. Only one did I feel like I needed to trim - strictly because he was ugly and just oddly shaped. I was using a Peterson ASM so getting around it wasn't bad, just wanted it to lay right. With the Miser though I can see the need. Have you looked at Logosols "Big Mill"? www.logosol.com

Look at it and see if there's an application for your situation. It may be a bit pricey for you and what you want to accomplish, but I will say it would likely give you a safe, well controlled way to either quarter a log or take a large slab off.  Think safety first. Hard to put a price on limbs,fingers and toes. When I was trimming that big Cypress last week I was using a Stihl 066 with a 42'' bar. I couldn't help but think I wouldn't want to swing that thing around all day. That "Big Mill" would take the weight off of you, help prevent kickbacks, lay a line through that log about anyway you'd like. Let us know what you come up with. I'd like to stop by sometime and watch you saw.

Best Regards,

LOGDOG

urbanlumberinc

You'll be able to cut the swells off of logs nicely with a 66" and an alaskan.  Trying to freehand a straight rip with a 66" double ender is tough if not imposible.  The alaskan mill will allow you to make a nice straight rip.  As far as safety goes I've using a 56" double ender with a handle for close to two years now and have not had one mishap (knock on wood).  That said, it's entirely possible that somone could maim themselves fairly quickly while chainsaw milling, so I'm extra careful, and make sure everything is in perfect working order before each cut.  Be sure to use ripping chain when cutting with the grain.  With a little trial and error I'm sure you'll develop a system that works for you and be able to straighten up your logs.

Cypress Man

Thanks for all the input, it will help with my decision making. 

Logdog, where exactly is Haughton, La.  Come on over sometime, I can always use an experienced board stacker. :D
Just kidding. Come by and watch us saw when you get a chance.

LOGDOG

Haughton is up near Shreveport / Bossier City. Where's Batchelor? Southeast ? I'm headed that way here soon.

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!