iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocks for supper

Started by Tom, February 12, 2003, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Times are tough again.  The wife had me go out back to build a fire for some slabs of Heifer she had purchased and then gave me a bag of rocks.   Me and my Brother in Law put them on the fire and, low in behold, water began to seep from the rocks.  We took a little knife she had provided each of us and opened them up to find some terrible looking organism inside.  Being hungry we consumed them, with the gusto of a hound dog, and ended up eating 50 of the things.  By the time the Heifer was done, we weren't so sure we were still hungry. :-/

I think I'd like some more of those rocks someday. ;D

CHARLIE

Ain't nothing much better than oysters like that. Back when I was dating Donna (1966), I used to go oystering with her family. We'd get back with a croaker sack (That's a burlap sack for you Yanks) full of oysters. They'd fire up the grill and lay a bunch of oysters over the coals. Everyone standing around watching and drooling. As soon as a shell would pop open up a bit, the quickest person would grab it, open it, dip it in hot sauce and chew it up. Those were some good times. Of course we'd be washing it down with some good cold wobbley pop too. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jason_WI

I'd rather eat the rocks than the oysters.
 They kinda remind me of tire patches ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Paul_H

It's hard to beat a feed of Oysters loaded up with butter,mind you, with enough butter,even tire patches would taste good.

Jason_WI,
Whats your record for eating tire patches? :D I'll bet they're rubbery :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

OH PUULLEEEEEZZEE !! Ya'll are SISSIES !!!!  The onliest way to down ersters is right out of the water. Ya Don'T heat 'em first !!! WHY do ya wanna ruin 'em ???  No wonder they eat like patches. Ersters is delikate !! :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Noble_Ma

I'm with Deadheader, eating them raw with a little cocktail sause and tobasco, is the only way.  Cocktail sauce is just ketchup and horseradish for those who don't know what it is.

Tom

You mean tire patches taste like that?  What brand have you fellows been eating?  I want to get me some. :)

Bibbyman

I like my food to have a spine. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Well, Bibby, we're so destitute and suffering, trying to get on the Gov. Dole and just trying to make ends meet, living one day at a time,  All these porterhouse type slabs and rocks and little shrimpses are the only thing keeping us going. :-/ sigh!  :'(

:D

Bibbyman

Guess that's why I've been born and raised a couple hundred miles from the sea.  We use the little spineless creatures as bait!!
Sawing since '94

Texas Ranger

You use mudbugs for bait!!!?????  My good man, no self respecting southern boy would pass up crawfish etoufee, or boiled mudbug, or jambali, or,,,,,well, you get the picture, you yanks just got to DanG a refined taste.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

Wow!  That's a first!  I've never been implicated as even remotely being a Yankee!  (Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with being a Yankee.)  I just don't include bugs in my diet.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

On a trip last year we stopped in Monroe, Louisianna and I had my first plate of real etoufee.  Man that was good eatin'.
when we got to Memphis I ordered it again but it was not the same or as good.  Guess I'll have to visit Louisianna again.  Unless of course one of you real southerners would send me an accurate recipe.  Wasn't there a thread awhile back about starting a recipe page in the forum?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Look under Knowlege Base / Contents at the top of this page.  Lots of stuff there including Food!.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Hey, thanks Bibbyman.
OK all you fine southern gentlemen - get a decent etoufee recipe on there :D
If you do I will post my dad's killer spaghetti meat sauce recipe.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dennis

Rocky Mountain Oysters anyone?  
Just Log It.

Mark M

A few years ago I went out to Lehigh University to take a course in electron microscopy. They always have this feast for the students and instructors and serve huge platters of oysters and shrimp. I didn't try the oysters (looked kinda raw) but did down a few (16 to be exact) of the biggest shrimp cocktail shrimps I ever did see! This pretty well filled me up and I had a hard time with the main meal. I couldn't figure out what to do with the oysters, the people who were eatin them had funny looks on their faces  ???

Mark

Texas Ranger

Bibbyman, nothing personal, since I am from an area in Mo known as little Dixie.  But, yankee is anything north of where we are.  You can be in Little Rock and be a yankee! ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

In re to RM oysters,

If quizes are quizical,  what are tests? ??? ::)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Don, that rule applies everywhere but Florida. Here, the further south you go, the further north you get.  Thankfully, I'm about as far north as you can get, and still be in Florida. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Phorester

Tried raw oysters once.  Ate the first one 3 times, so I gazve up.

DanG

The trick is to tie a string on it. Then if you don't like it, you can just pull it back up. ;D

I passed up a chance at some good oysters last weekend, so I could fiddle with my mill. I don't think I'll let that happen, next time.

Sure wish I could eat shrimp. I love'em, but they make me bad, bad sick. I developed a sensitivity to them, back in the mid-seventies. I got sick about 4 times before I figgered out what was doing it. Ain't had one since. :'( :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Oh no!   Did you figure out if it was the shrimp or the iodine or maybe "imported" shrimp?  What'cha gonna do in these hard times? ..sniff  ........sigh!

DanG

Could be any of the above. First time was after a shrimp coctail on an airliner.  Got it again from some shrimp dip, but a couple of times were from some pretty good coastal seafood restaurants. Go figger!  Hadda go to the ER twice for IV therapy, and that was enough for me.

Minnesota_boy

DanG,
I have a similar sensitivity to chicken.  Do you have any idea of how many kinds of edibel products have chicken in them?  How about I eat the shrimp and you eat the chicken?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!