iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

QS

Started by dad2nine, January 12, 2007, 04:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Now that you guys have coached me and I'm quarter sawing. What species give off cool ray flakes QS'ed I know oaks and sycamore, how about hickory? I doubt poplar or pine.

Thanks

Tom

Oak and sycamore are some of the most significant.  But, look in the knowledge base for the link to the "Handbook" we keep talking about and you will find a chart with significance hints as to whether you should flat saw or quarter saw particular woods base on your desired outcome.

It's one of many very helpful charts that you will commit to memory, or at least the applicable parts of it, as you progress.

woodmills1

Was gonna start a thread but figured :D I wood use this one.  The elm I quarted a few weeks ago showed very small ray flecks, but try these 10 inch red oaks on for size.  The third picture is the kind of log shorts I am using to fill this order.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dad2nine

I was born naked and dumb - have to learn these things - THANKS Tom

Part_Timer

I've qsawn some cherry that had nice little black flecks between the growth rings.  I didn't notice it until it was to late.  I was flat sawing it like "normal", but now I check it out before I cut a whole log.  Just in case. :)  Walnut can also have some nice colors between the growth rings from time to time.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Cedarman

My kitchen cabinets are solid cherry quarter sawn.  The wood came from backing boards at a veneer mill.  The boards were part of a semi load of backing boards and logs with a nail or two in that was kicked out.  Delivered to my mill for $300.00 back in 1991.  Those days are long gone for those deals.

The cherry has a good amount of small flake and tight rings.  It is gorgeous.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

metalspinner

My favorate is cherry as well.  Although, I would not qs the log on purpose just to get it.  As cedarman said, the ray fleck is small, so the project you use the lumber on should be able to be examined up close.

BTW, QS cherry and QS sycamore look great together in small projects like boxes and such. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!