iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention all Massachusetts Sawyers

Started by Captain, January 11, 2007, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Doing some internet research tonight, I learned somethng interesting.  I'm breaking the law  :-\  Seems there is a law in the book that requires me to STAMP, NOT GRADE my dimensional lumber.  The STAMP signifies the lumber meets the standards as specified by MA 780 CMR.  All Native Dimensional Lumber for Building must be stamped, and can only be used in 2 story dwellings/buildings and smaller.  I'm supposed to be Registered as a "Massachusetts Producer of Native Lumber" according to MA 780 CMR R4

R4.1.3 "No person shall engage in the producing of native lumber for use in buildings or structures within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts unless registered by the BBRS (State Board of Building Regulations and Standards)"

Who has gone through this registration process and its review??  Who made your stamp??

Check this link for all the details:
LINK (I thought I fixed this once? ;))

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Captain

bull

Great !!!! another $50.00 a year out the door......
Ive been selling native rough sawn lumber in Massachusetts for 10 years and have yet to come across this, no question from any building inspectors Re: stamp !!!!
I was unaware, but am now informed !! Guess I will be making a few phone calls ??? Will let you know what I find out

bull

I looked at that list and all the listed mills are expired in 2004 ????? did this like many other :"CMR"S" go down the drain

Captain

Thanks Mike, glad I'm not the only one...

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Peakebrook

WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

thurlow

Hey guys...........I don't know much about Massachusetts, but in some places it's easier to gain forgiveness than permission.  ;D  I'd be tempted to just wait 'til I was "caught". 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WkndCutter

"Its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

TexasTimbers

I read something somewhere (I know I don't like that either) about how it is legal to stamp your own wood. that as long as you are stamping within the guidelines the law does not prohibit you from stampming your own wood.
Don't know where I read this but I know I did!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Captain

As a sawmill operator, I have questions about the regulation(s).  I have a disclaimer on all of my bills that "end use of the lumber is the sole responsibility of the purchaser"  I don't want to get in a lawsuit over a structural collapse when the building was not built correctly, or something similar.  I also have a problem when cutting lumber for others, and they decide how the lumber should be used.  I suppose that I can stamp only the stuff that "makes the grade"  The regulation seems to me to be a method of tracking the lumber in case of a problem, such as a structural collapse.

Captain

Engineer

Have a big stamp made up with 2" high letters that says "BITE ME".  Stamp all your lumber with that.   :D

Tom

Engineer

I dunno.  What's a Libertarian?  One o' them people what works in a library?   ;D

Tom

TexasTimbers

A Libertarian is a magician/sorcerer/wizard/witch. Liber Juratus is one of the oldest and most influential texts of Medieval magic. Now you know the historical roots of the dogma of the Libertarian Party.  :D

DISCLAIMER: I am not making fun of any Libertarians out there. Promise.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tim L

Holy Cow !!! I'm a Libertarian and didn't even know it ! What next ? will big brother put me in a special camp or will they just monitor my activities from afar ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Husband

Hey captain....does this mean when I come over to do some cutting with you I am breaking the law as well and need my own stamp.... :-\
Just had a thought....I may get sent home  ;D ;D :D

Mooseherder

I love Neil Boortz.  Sumbody didn't cause they took him off the Radio in my area. >:(

Percy

I can understand the need for regulations but sometimes ya gotta wonder. I gave up a trucking business because of over regulation. The fee's and fines for paperwork was phenominal and regs that I wanted to see changed and enforced(hours of service ) were basicly ignored as it wasnt in big industrys best interest but if  your pre trip inspection form had a spelling error, you got a fine. 
Engineer's BITE ME stamp is a good idea.  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ed_K

In Ma. if there isn't a LAW saying you can do something, its illegal to do it  >:( .
Last I heard was $2500. per yr for the stamp, courses and all.
Ed K

Engineer

Tell yer new guv-na that he needs to loosen up the death grip on some of the State's regulations.  I don't do business in MA (even though I'm right near the border and Berkshire County is hot for my line of work) because of MA regs.  I don't need the headaches.

Captain

This is one of those things that I'm afraid to start asking the "officials" about as I don't want to bring attention to myself.....

That is why I was in hopes that at least one of us from Massachusetts had some experience.

Chris, we will just invite Sam Adams over, have a good look at those logs, and talk about how fast we would cut them up into 2xs.

Captain

srt

I've got a question about that MA law.   I've read about it now for several years, and have drooled at the possibility of having it in my state.  How did this come into effect?  Was it something left over before they started regulating the size and usage of Q-tips?  Was it injected into the law after regulation?  How did a bunch of small time mill operators come up with enough political capital to get this law on the books? 

I realize that it's still tough to beat the mass produced framing lumber market on a price basis, but I'll bet there are quite a few folks who would like to build their homes with lumber cut from their land - without hassles.

Any lumber law historians out there???

Husband

MMMM, Sam Adams, thats good enough for me!

Thank You Sponsors!