iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AZ wood id

Started by vick, January 11, 2007, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vick

Please use the Forestry Forum Gallery for uploads.
We don't allow off-site linking.
Check out the Help link or read the posts in
"behind the forum"
admin

I am a wood turner in the phx AZ area I got these logs from a local tree trimmer.  I never saw any of the leaves or branches but think I know what they are.  I just wanted to see what you guys think.  The logs sections are about 14 inches in diameter.

metalspinner

Welcome  to the forum Vick.

I'm not familiar with that wood, but will take a guess.  This is just a total shot in the dark, but is it Desert Ironwood?  The small split off part looks beautiful.  The grain looks very dense like an exotic.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

vick

Metal spinner - I had a turning buddy bring over a piece of Desert Iron wood last weekend and we were able to determine that it was not, though that was my best guess for quite a while.

A lot of Australian and African tree grow well in my area so it is possible that it would be exotic for most of the US.

It is a dense heavy wood cut cuts fairly easily.  It gives off a sweet smell like incense when turned.

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Vick.

I have no Idea what it is.  If it were from around here, I would say it was Pecan.  Lord only knows what y'all have out there.

SwampDonkey

I'm thinking sassafras, does the bark have a spicy aroma?

It's probably not an American sassafras though. There are two other species, one in China and one in Taiwan.

Could also be a non native walnut species as some have distinct odor when worked or cut. If you had a twig you could check the pith for chambering. Are growth rings distinct like black walnut?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Maybe we should try to get an end grain sample to ad to the archive. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

vick

Sorry guys I did not realize the way I posted picks was again forum policy.  I will try to figure out how to post properly later.

Thank You Sponsors!