iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What constitutes old growth wood?

Started by jrokusek, January 11, 2007, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

Just have an odd question.  Someday I'm going to inherit a farm in South Dakota that has a large, old barn on it.  My dad and I did a bit of research on the thing and found that it's about 108 years old or so.  (South Dakota was incorporated in 1889 and the barn was most likely built about 1899.)  Well, the thing is going to fall down sometime in the next few years, which is fine since we don't have any cattle in there anymore.  It's not worth restoring.  It's been added on to twice and the additions weren't great to begin with.  It's tall and was designed to hold hay in the loft and cattle in the bottom. 

All the framing is probably spruce, pine or fir of some sort.  It's definitely a softwood which is not native to this part of the state.  I'm guessing it all was brought in via train to the nearest terminal which was about 7 miles away.  Must have been interesting crossing the river that seperates the farm and the terminal 100+ years ago! 

Anyway, would the framing in there be considered "old growth" wood?   I really dont' care if it is or not, but I've been trying to decipher a definition of old growth.  Regardless, when it does fall I'm going to pull out the large beams and cut them into slabs for a kitchen or dining room table.  If I can save enough wood I'm going to make a set of chairs too. 

Jim in South Dakota

Ianab

The general indication of 'old growth' is that the growth rings in the wood are VERY close together. (maybe 20+ to an inch).
All this indicates is that the wood came from an old tree that was growing slowly in a 'mature' forest. The trees shed all their lower branches early on because of the shading and were tall to reach the light. So they eventually laid down a lot of nice straight clear timber in the trunks.
When you compare it to '2nd growth' trees that regenerated after the original forest was cut the growth rings may be 2 - 10 to an inch. The trees that grew in the 'new' forest had much more light and grew faster. Eventually the forest would return to a mature status and contain slower growing tree that had to fight for light and space again. But of course that takes 100s of years.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Hi-Country Orange

it's a shame you can't try & save it there isn't many old barn's left, i sure hate to see that part of the country side disappear :'(

Don_Papenburg

The barn wood on my dads home place was brought in on a train . Not a  bad trip for them though as the freight terminal was only one and a half miles from the farm.  That was 1905  it is still going strong.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jrokusek

Quote from: Hi-Country Orange on January 11, 2007, 05:48:08 PM
it's a shame you can't try & save it there isn't many old barn's left, i sure hate to see that part of the country side disappear :'(

I'll try to post a few pictures tonight.  I like to save old machinery and buildings too, but sometimes you just have to let them go when they're too far gone.  It may be one of those things where I can just rebuild something similar, smaller and more functional in its place. 

Coon

I am interested in the same topic too.  We also have a barn on our farm that merely is hunched over with age.  Was built in early 1900's probably around 1905 I would guess.  This barn was sold, tore down piece by piece, hauled and setup on the existing site around 1930.  It is still standing but to crippled to be saved.  Will show pics after this cold snap we're having.  Not going out to the farm until it's over. So pics will come later.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Hi-Country Orange

there used to be a company out of Mo. i think that traveled around saving olb barns, but i haven't a clue to what there fee's were. they used to save structures that many people thought were to far gone, might be something to look in to.

beenthere

To me, saving old barns begins with saving the roof. Once the roof starts to leak, the barn underneath will go in a hurry. The rot sets in, and thus weakens the structure, and leads to the barn falling down.

Recovering barn material that is not rotten or not broken from the structure finally collapsing, should begin before either happens, seems to me. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rvrdivr

I think Ianab explained that very well.  :)

There are lots of people that are in the business of reclaiming the wood from old barns and houses. Here's a neat link. http://www.appalachianwoods.com/index.htm

If you do cut them beams, the outside cuts with the old patina on em should make for some real nice table tops.

QuoteWill show pics after this cold snap we're having.  Not going out to the farm until it's over. So pics will come later.

Coon, It's cold here in Florida also. The high only got to the mid 70's today!  ;D :D :D :D And I think it's only gonna be in the 80's this weekend. ;D

jrokusek

Quote from: beenthere on January 12, 2007, 12:28:12 PM
To me, saving old barns begins with saving the roof. Once the roof starts to leak, the barn underneath will go in a hurry. The rot sets in, and thus weakens the structure, and leads to the barn falling down.

Recovering barn material that is not rotten or not broken from the structure finally collapsing, should begin before either happens, seems to me. 

Aw shoot....the roof has been leaking for almost 20 years!   :D

jrokusek

OK.  Here are the pictures.

I guess that's why it's tilting so bad!

Some of the timbers are worn in the middle from years of cattle rubbing against them.

More beams.

I kinda like what the cattle did to wear down the wood....take a look at the hard knot that isn't worn.  A natural routered edge!

Thank You Sponsors!