iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member says Hello.

Started by Dave_Fullmer, February 11, 2003, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_Fullmer

Just wanted to say Hi.  I am somewhat new to milling except that I worked with a friend in Mich back in 1973 one winter in his 2 man mill operation.  He had a Frick powered by an old Buda deisel.  Have had logs sawed by others ever since I moved to Tenn in 1982.  
Just got through having a WM saw 12,000 bf for me in Nov and Dec.  I have caught the bug and am accumulating parts to build my own.  

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

Tom

build your own "woodmizer" type mill?   We've got a fellow that has just done that. You will have to start up a conversation with Fla. Deadheader. :)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

woodbeard

Hi Dave, good to see another Tennessean here. I came across this site recently:
http://www.linnlumber.com/
They sell parts for bandsaw mills as well as complete mills
Good Luck,
George

Dave_Fullmer

I might have made a misleading statement.  The mill style I have settled on is a 4 poster.  I am leaning on Linn Lumber for the basic ideas for the carriage and mill, but I am designing my own deck and hydraulic log clamp, toe boards and possibly even a log loader.  I still haven't decided on the loader because my initial plan was to set it up stationary, saw some beams  and build a deck to roll the logs off onto the log deck.  I load logs onto my flatbed trailer ( tri axle house trailer) with my Allis WD with a front end loader.  I can easily put the logs on the beams with the Allis.  But I have been wondering if maybe I should consider making it portable and put wheels under it.  

I have bought the engine, an Linamar 16 hp. (made by Onan) and the band wheels,  and threaded rod raise and lower system, and a hydraulic tensioner system.  I guess I am committed now.  I bought 2  2 x 6 x 1/4 wall tubes 20 ft long for the sides of the deck and have scrap  2 x 6 Channel for the cross bars and straight 2 1/2 angle for the track.  I still have to pick up the 2" tubing for the carraige. Finally, I am in the process of getting an old Gleaner combine (mostly for the engine for one of my old tractors) but I wll strip the hydralics and power the pump with a small horz engine.  

I want to steal the design from my friend's WM for the loader and the toe boards, but their log clamp looks to complicated for me to copy.  I have a much simpler design  cooked up.

Maybe by the time I get all the parts drawn on the Cad system, I have made up my mind about the loader and wheels.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

woodhaven

Hey Dave,
I thought something had happened to you. I haven't heard from you after we talked on the other site. This is a good place to be. A lot good folks here and a lot of information.
Richard
Richard

Dave_Fullmer

Hi Richard.

Yeah, i got rea busy the last two weeks.  I guess I told you that I was going back to school ( in order to suck up at the Government trough).  The course is in Robotics and the instructors got a request from a local plant to help set up 3 spot welders that had from 1 to 4 weld sequences with heads moving, etc.  Some how I got roped into the project and ended up having to write the PLC programs to make these work.  What looked like a piece of cake turned into a can of worms.  I finally got the 3rd welder running and debugged yesterday.  I left my number and informed the company that I would be available in the future for service at $50 per hour.  No more using my 40 years of experience for free.

Now I can go back to my fun projects and talk with y'all.

Dave

J Beyer

The nice thing about Linn Lumber is that you can buy the carraige head complete with power source.  Cook's Saw Manufacturing also sells complete carriage assemblies with power sources as well as parts.

I'm including the link to a website that should have the links to any website you may need to get parts.  After opening the link, scroll down to "Mill manufacturers-bandsaw".  There are the companies mentioned above with others that may sell parts to you.

http://www.xmission.com/~sherwin/sawyer1.htm

"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Jason_WI

The hydraulic pumps on those Gleaners(Silver Seeders ;D) were dirt slow, not many gallons per minute. Don't expect much. The rams on the front are single acting also. The control valves leaked like a SOB. What model is it? northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has a good selection of hydraulic pumps and control valves as well.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

EZ

Welcome to the site Dave. I'm a new member myself & already injoying this site as number one. Good luck building your mill, if you have any questions this site is the place to be.
EZ

Dave_Fullmer

Thanks guys,

J. Beyer, that is some awsome index page.  I'll have to check it out.  I bookmarked it.

Jason,
I knew the front cylinders were one way.  This old Gleaner is a Model A.  It has a 6 cylinder 230 ci Allis engine.  I have a high crop D17 Diesel out back with a blown engine.  I had the idea that I could use the 230 gas in place of the diesel.  I know that the power would be less than a Allis 262 in I think a model E Gleaner but I was told that externally, the 230 and the 260 were the same.  Also, it seems to me that the 230 would be just as good as the 4 cylinder 226 that the gas D17's had.  Since this tractor was a diesel, I don't think a 4 cylinder would look right under that longer hood.  Thank you for your info on the slow pumping.  

I have looked at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  In fact, I had already decided to buy my cylinders from them.  However, yesterday, I received a catalog from Surplus Center from Lincoln, NE.  They have a bunch of stuff.  So far, Northern hasn't responded with the catalog of cylinders and controls.  All they sent me was their normal catalog which didn't include any controls.  All I have found on Northern is on their website.

I have bought some parts from Linn and I might be sorry but I have decided to fabricate the saw carriage with the help of freinds of mine who have a fab shop.  These three guys and I worked together as maintenance men at a Murray lawn mower factory until they closed the plant last year and moved to China.  As a team we put together some pretty impressive machinery while we worked at the plant.  I feel confident that we can do the same with this mill.

I sure appreciate the comments.  I can't wait to get the plans jelled and start putting things together.  I guess I should be working on the plans instead of jawing.

BTY, how do you pull down those crazy smileys?

Tom

smileys? you just click on them, Dave.  They show up in your post where your cursor is pointing......... easy!

Make sure you keep a record of you venture on the forum, especially if you can get pictures.  It makes a really interesting thread.  Look at what MarkM and Fla. Deadheader are doing with theirs. :P

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o  8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(

The more smileys will provide a whole gallery of "more smileys" but you have paste their link in your message.  It's easy too......just takes a little thinking. :D

Bro. Noble

Dave,

We had a steering valve go bad on a tractor.  The dealer said it would cost more to replace than the tractor was worth.  We talked to a hydrolyc repairman.  He helped us choose the parts we needed out of the Surplus Center catalogue. We replaced the steering valve ourselves cheap and were well satisfied with the results.  They have a bunch of stuff at bargin prices.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Is this the place y'all are talkin' about? www.surpluscenter.com

They sure got a buncha stuff. They have some good links to some other suppliers, as well.

Welcome, Dave. Glad to have you here. Sounds like you're a pretty handy guy. Some of us who like to bang a little stuff together, from time to time, will look forward to your input. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Surely I must be part owner of Surplus Center, by now. Ya'll wouldn't believe how much "stuff" I have gotten from them. Great folks to deal with, too !!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave_Fullmer

DanG

Yep, thats the site.  I was really impressed with the catalog.

Jason,

After thinking about your input, I have decided to leave that Gleaner sit where it's at.  I can buy it for $100, but the engine is iffy and if the hydraulics are leaky and slow, I don't think the effort of moving it is worth it.  Not to mention the fact that the wife is already upset about all the parts tractors and old trucks that I tried to hide back in the woods.

Tom,

I have been thinking about buying a digital camera.  I noticed Wal-Mart had one for  $59.  This was only a 1 mg pixel though.  I think I better wait and get a better one so I could put better pics on the net  

Shouldn't I be able to see those smileys in the preview.  I just tried to drag one down but it didn't seem to take.  I don't have the box clicked for disableing them????

Well I'll be darned that one showed up in the question mark.  Now I'll try a bunch of others. Nope,  they won't preview

Dave_Fullmer

>:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'( ;D  I re-read your post Tom and I see you said "paste".  Ah Ha, let me try that!  :P :P :P :P :P :P    Well, I'll be darned.  Those :p's turned into smileys. :) ;) :D ;D

Oops,  I think I got carried away

Tom

See how easy it is?  The regular ones show up just by clicking.  But see "More Smileys"?  If you click on "More Smileys?  there is a whole library of smileys that works kinda like the Photo Gallery.  That is the one you paste into your messageYou just click on "add this image to post" and then go back to your message creating window and click "insert image code" and Voila!

They are fun.

Fla._Deadheader

OK, so then how do you make larger text and change color of text and such?? Every time I try that, it shows a "text abbreviation or some such, and when I post, it doesn't make the changes, it shows the same text abbreviation thingy ?? ???

Make this word larger,
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I'll use "{ }" instead of "[ ]" so it will show in the post.

{size=4}this will be bigger{/size}
{color=blue} this will be blue{/color}
{b}this will be bold {/b}

{b}{color=blue} this will be bold and blue{/color}{/b}

You can stack tags but have to close them in the reverse order that they were opened.

{url=https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl}{b}the forum index page{/b}{/url}

This is how to name your link to something descriptive.

Fla._Deadheader

Well, that's clear as mud !! :D Don'T unnerstan the "close them in the reverse order you open them"??  Guess by now you figgered out, I am not all that brite ??
 Why Don'Tcha just drive on down tomorrow and show me how this werks, and we can do some millin. Got my new motor speed controller today. Now, if I could just figger out how to hook it up ??????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dave_Fullmer

This will be bold.  Now I saw the smileys in my preview.  Shouldn't I see the bold also

Dave_Fullmer

I'll be darned.  This really does work. [/color=blue]    [/size=2]  Now I can't get the smileys in.  Thought I was getting smart.  It's my head.  I am really a young guy.  The problem is that 65 yr old head that sits on my shoulders won't get with it. 8)  Oh, it requires a double click. ;D  Ain't this fun ???

Dave_Fullmer

I'm going to try that over.  Got the blue, what happened to the size ???  Oh, size 4 works fine.  Maybe I confused it by telling to be blue and the same time I told it to be size 2.  Nope, evidently size 2 is the normal size, cause the small letters, I called for size 1.  Darn, that old head finally is catching up with the rest of me. :o ;D

Deadheader,
I think I have it figured.  Tom was showing us brackets {  instead of [ and you have to start off with the [] with the command inside of it.  Then when you want to go back to normal, you close it with [/ and the command ]
example using {   {size=4]  sentence......[/size}.  Note that you end the command using just size, not the =4.  
Make sense ???

Now, I'm going to go look up the thread on your mill.

Bro. Noble

WOW!!!!

[/color]

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Deadheader,
I sure would like to make it down,  I almost did too.  It was scheduled.  The wife was going to Orlando and I was going to Ft. Pierce but I fell yesterday and injured my shoulders.  I'm on the pain meds again and can't drive.  I'm going to make it one day.

You guys are catching on quick!

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, Tom. Hope ya didn't do any damage.
  Finally got my motor controller today. No hook-up instructions ??  May do the ole smokin parts thing, wiring this unit up. Hope to make a {color=Brown]{/color]{/size] pile of sawdust. NOW, lets see if this changin font thingy werks??

pile of sawdust.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Well fine !! I'll just stay a computer dummy, then !! >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Your problem is you cant use squiggly brackets like this { or (  they have to be the square ones like [  All you need to do is click one of the buttons above and replace whats beteen the tags. You can even use the code tags above and by typing tags between them you show the code and not what they do. for instance this is the code to show how you make a big blue deadheader
[color=Blue][size=5]deadheader[/size][/color]or outside of the code tags:
deadheader
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I think it would just be easier if I borrowed yer profile picture !!!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

this old brain that looks good just got it!

[size=8]OLD BOLD BRAIN[/size]
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Tom

Yee Hi-i--iOW OW OWEE OWEEDrum roll---Nananananana......

chet

[size=8]O.K. TRY... THIS...   ;)[/size]
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

woodmills1

Oregon_Sawyer

It's seems alot of people have a lot of time on their hands. ;D ;D :)  Ive got a whole bunch of logs to cut if you want to work in the rain.

Yesterday my daughters told me I had to work on their cabin inside since it was raining.

Afraid I will melt in the rain. :D ;D
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Tom

Fred

Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Tom

Hey Fred,  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  you caught us playing on a rainy day. :D :D

Bibbyman

You guys are really doing your homework.  Should be eligible for promotion to the first grade any day!!

Welcome Fred!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dail_h

All this, and I still only have one finger that knows how to spell,and even that's iffy.   Just love them gators
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!