iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pickup dump insert

Started by Bill in U.P., January 11, 2007, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill in U.P.

Just wanted to hear some opinions on pickup truck dump inserts. I'm thinking of getting one for (mainly) firewood deliveries. I have 2 local dealers for the Bri-Mar and Maxi-Dump. There is also an EZ-Dumper dealer a couple hours away. They are all right around the same price. I thought of dump trailers but some customers are right off busy roads or have squirrely driveways. Thought of (and will probably get in future) a dump box truck that would hold 2 full cords, but right now $$ is the factor. My truck is a 96' F-250 heavy 3/4 ton with 7.3 diesel long bed.

scsmith42

Bill, a few years ago a local landscaper did some work at my place (pre-wedding landscaping), and he had a "hand crank conveyor belt" on the floor of his pickup that he used for unloading gravel.

I asked him at the time what he thought about it, and he was very pleased with it.  One nice thing about the floor conveyor versus a dump bed is that you can easily regulate the amount of supplies dumped - you simply stop cranking when you have unloaded a set amount.

Seems to me that a tarp motor from a dump truck would be a great way to drive it - reversable and inexpensive.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

I've thought about a dump box as well, but the extra weight was what scared me off.  The conveyor type unloader is more attractive to me for that reason, and also because of cost.  Also, you can get a kit to convert your conventional pickup bed to a dumper, for about a grand.  I would be concerned about overusing it, though, since the pickup bed wasn't really designed for that.  I haven't gone that route because of the winch and the gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck.  Can't have everything. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jrokusek

Corley5

Don't be too concerned about a dump trailer that's what I use for firewood deliveries.  I haven't found a driveway yet that I couldn't navigate.  I've been delayed once or twice and wasn't able dump in just exactly the spot they wanted but it's working well for me.  The difficult spots woulda been no matter what the delivery vehicle  ;)  I was consedering buying a 1 ton dump truck but with the added cost of plates and insurance I went with the trailer instead.  Now I'd like a dump truck to pull the trailer so I could deliver more at time  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rebocardo

The dump inserts add a lot of weight and are meant for the 1.5-2 ton DRW trucks. For a F-250 your best choice is the $1000 (northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company) kit that changes your current bed to a dump. If your bed wears out, it is very easy to put on a flatbed dump and reuse the kit (basically hydraulics and hinges). I would probably add some extra 3"x 1/8 channel under the bed.

ohsoloco

When I saw this thread I remembered one a few years ago about one of those dump kits for a pickup.  Wouldn't ya know when I was coming in the front door of the FF tonight I saw the pic of the truck and it took me to the thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=2234.0

Thank You Sponsors!