iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold First Lumber/Millshed Updated

Started by tcsmpsi, January 09, 2007, 09:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Right before Christmas, I made a deal with a remodeler to supply some special cuts for an old house he was working on.  He needed some 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 posts and some full 1" trim boards.

While working on those, I decided to go ahead with updates to the millshed sooner rather than later.  Since Christmas and New Year fell when they did, I had a few days I could work on the milling/millshed process. 

Pretty much have it ready now, except for running some more lights and, of course, add-ons as time/finances permit.

What I had before Christmas,

As it is now,

The tool room is a real help and I'll get a pic of the inside when I get a chance.  As always, taking more than a couple days a month off the job 20 puts me 'under the thumb', more or less.   :D

Went through many possibilities in my mind on what I would do for a floor for the milling process.  I wanted something more substantial than the ground for setting up on and the ability to better secure the mill and yet be able to move it readily when necessary.  I staggered lag bolting the feet to the floor.  Since it's apt to be wet (lube, freshly power washed logs, etc.) around the mill, I opted for treated instead of using my own lumber for the floor.
Makes it a lot easier working the mill (walking around, taking off boards, etc.).   I have floor extended all the way out on the far side for setting up other tools (table saw, planer, etc.) as necessary.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

brdmkr

Looking good! 8)

I look forward to seeming some of that neatly stacked lumber under the shed soon ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

WkndCutter

That is one nice building you got there.  How is the floor put in?  Is it more like a deck or is there cement under the wood?  I like the open sides with the large overhang of the eaves.  That design would work well here in Virginia. 

Snag

Looks good.  What is the size of the opening you bring the logs in?  Looks exactly like what I was hoping to build.  Mind if I pick your brain?? ???

tcsmpsi

brdmkr

There's about a mbf of dried lumber on the other side of the mill under the shed, some  drying and some ready to dry.  There'll be more pretty soon, as we have it worked out (my permanent female partner and I)  ;D that I was able to get the millshed to this point, mill up what we need for completion, that I WILL get back to the house project. 
There would actually be more stacked, but the 'Mr. Got In A Hurry' here rolled a cant over and let his finger get between it and the bunk.

WkndCutter

It is more 'like a deck'.  I know all the 'attributes' of concrete (as I've certainly poured enoug of it in my time) but if I have a druther, I'd druther not work on it.  And the cost, especially in getting it down in there.  It's all set on posts down to hard clay (24 of them) and attached with combination of 20 and 60 screw shank galv. nails.

Snag,

The opening is 20' wide.  Certainly, I do not mind if you pick my brain.  Though, in all prudence I musts advise that it ain't too 'normal'.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Snag

How many of our brains here ARE normal?  Think we have too many visions of logs and sawdust to be classified as such. :)  I will send you a PM.....  Thanks.

flht01

Quote from: Snag on January 09, 2007, 10:45:39 AM
How many of our brains here ARE normal?  Think we have too many visions of logs and sawdust to be classified as such. :)  I will send you a PM.....  Thanks.

I'm waiting for my pine to dry a little more before starting on a millshed. Instead of PM'ing those questions, I'm sure some of us would like to eavesdrop a little if you don't mind posting them instead. Sure is a nice looking building, really liked the deck idea.

tcsmpsi, you should have heard that blue tarp cuttin up in that wind we've had lately. I thought about your new shed after making several trips out back to tie it back down. Thought it was going to fly back to it's mother country  :D

Snag

OK, when I post I will do it in this thread.  I might have to make a couple changes though.  I think we may have different snow loads.   ;)

379hammerdown

Hey, I don't see the log loading arms on the mill anymore... do you still use these? Are they worth getting on the lm1?

Snag

Actually, this year we may have the same snow load.  We still have nothin'...

tcsmpsi

flht01

I've witnessed that about those blue tarps.  That's why I got green.   :D
How's the mill been working out for you?  Did you get your new bandwheel tires installed?  If so, how did that go?

Hey, hammerdown
Good to hear from you.  Not sure about flht's situation, but the loading ramps came with my rig.  Since it was extended, I got 4 of them.   I only used them for stacking logs on.  I haven't used them for loading.  Thusfar, I've loaded with the front end loader, but there'll come a time when I get something it is not going to be able to handle.  I'm discussing options with myself over that, presently.   ;D

Snag,
What is your 'usual' snowfall? 

flht01

Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 09, 2007, 02:43:58 PM
flht01

I've witnessed that about those blue tarps.  That's why I got green.   :D
How's the mill been working out for you?  Did you get your new bandwheel tires installed?  If so, how did that go?

Hey, hammerdown
Good to hear from you.  Not sure about flht's situation, but the loading ramps came with my rig.  Since it was extended, I got 4 of them.   I only used them for stacking logs on.  I haven't used them for loading.  Thusfar, I've loaded with the front end loader, but there'll come a time when I get something it is not going to be able to handle.  I'm discussing options with myself over that, presently.   ;D

Snag,
What is your 'usual' snowfall? 

Bandwheel tires went on without any problem, those urethane belts have enough stretch that I was able to do it without using tools. Just used a small block of wood clamped on the belt to keep it in the wheel's grove while I stretched it on, snapped in place nice and tight. Jury's still out on just how well they do, will keep you posted. BTW, still working on getting the right number of springs installed to set the tension. I'll post the results when I'm finished but it's looking like 3 will end up being the majic number.

Extended bed came with 4 log loaders on my and they get used on a regular basis. When you used them to stack logs on, did you prop up the ends on sawhorses and use them llike bunks?

Ivey

Good lookin shed tcsmpsi, I know you're glad to get that new mill under cover.
  Workin on cover for mine now, but not as far along as you! GOOD JOB!!
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Snag

tcsmpsi- our avg annual snowfall is about 65in.  January is the biggest month with 17in.  This year I dont think we have gotten a total of 1in.  The ground snow load here is 70psf and the number used for roof design (flat and up to about 7/12 pitch) is 49psf.

tcsmpsi

flht01

I am curious as to the new tires and how they work on the machine. 
I haven't taken bandwheels loose as of yet.  Was there any notable problem?

I don't believe the loading ramps would do well with much 'direct' weight.  I just stacked logs on them at their applied angle. 

Ivey
Been sawing much with yours yet?  Would sure like to run one of those.   ;)

Snag
I would probably go with 4X6 posts and 8/12 pitch on the roof (mine is 4/12) if I had snow. 

Since I mentioned it, a quick look at the new tool box/room in the millshed.  Still filling/organizing.   :D

This typing ain't easy with this busted finger.   ;D

WkndCutter

Thanks for all the information.  Thats a nice place you got there.

I feel your pain as I have replaced a few nails last year.  I don't put my fingers in the way as much as the logs roll the wrong way.  Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flht01

Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 10, 2007, 08:59:26 AM
flht01

I am curious as to the new tires and how they work on the machine. 
I haven't taken bandwheels loose as of yet.  Was there any notable problem?

Wasn't much to it, scribing the bearing locations with a marker before breaking the bolts loose made it easier to get everything retrued and running straight. It really went a lot better than I expected. I just hope to get a lot better life out of these, we'll see.

I don't believe the loading ramps would do well with much 'direct' weight.  I just stacked logs on them at their applied angle. 

That's how I've been using them too, sure would be nice if they would work as bunks.

Since I mentioned it, a quick look at the new tool box/room in the millshed.  Still filling/organizing.   :D

This typing ain't easy with this busted finger.   ;D

I've got to get started on mine shed real soon, that just looks way too organized. Being able to find everything you need without having to send out a search party sounds too good to be true.

submarinesailor

tcsmpsi,

Looked that your shed again and the same question came up again.  Bit my tongue the first time, but now I can't hold back any longer.

Why would you put OSB on the sides when you have a saw mill? ::) ::) ::)

Blasphemy, I tell you, pure blasphemy!!!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  Goes against all the great sawing gods in the sky. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

tcsmpsi

Quote from: submarinesailor on January 10, 2007, 01:12:49 PM
tcsmpsi,

Looked that your shed again and the same question came up again.  Bit my tongue the first time, but now I can't hold back any longer.

Why would you put OSB on the sides when you have a saw mill? ::) ::) ::)

Blasphemy, I tell you, pure blasphemy!!!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  Goes against all the great sawing gods in the sky. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

I knew that would come.  Just didn't know when and from whom.   :D

Actually, I am yet a great fan of OSB.  That you see on the shed has been stacked for about 10 yrs, and the door is in its third or fourth application or the course of about 18-20 yrs.  And, it makes good underlayment for applying siding on at some point in the future.  It was there and it was quick(er).  I'll be having siding (imperfects, etc) left from some other projects that will leave me with coverage for it, or something.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean, and the above is the same I answer I had to give myself when asking me.    ;D

Thank You Sponsors!