iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

major upgrade

Started by a old timberjack, January 09, 2007, 05:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a old timberjack

hi everyone,
                   i guess i am a new guy, well, this mite be under the wrong department but, when i was younger i worked in the woods for a local logger using his skidder, time went on and i got into the construction field and worked in the woods logging part- time, on my own and put a farmi winch on my tractor so i guess you can say i am still a logger, i jusr recently purchased a old timberjack 225c model 1970ish at the present time i am going thru it from head to toe, i also have a farmi -winch i am trying to sell, it is a model 501, i used it behind a jd 2640.  i live in new england , if anyone is interested let me know . i will also put a ad in the for-sale section of this web-site , thanks and i enjoy reading everyones posts.......Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

farmerdoug

A Old Timberjack,
Welcome to the forum.  Glad to hear of your upgrade.

Captain was looking for a tractor skidding winch last winter.  He may already have one or yours may be to big for him but the link to the thread is below.

Captain wants a skidding winch

Good luck,
Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ed_K

Captain is still looking send him a pm.
Ed K

Craig

Hi A Old Timberjack,

I cut a job last winter down your way last winter. Welcome to the forum.
The job I did was on Lionel Pearson Road in your town!
Good Luck with the TJ

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

a old timberjack

i am about 2 minutes from where you cut that pine craig, they still did nothing with that lot i herd they were gonna try to develope it . i dont remember, what do you have for a skidder?

a old timberjack

come in captian!!!........over!!

Captain

I'm here!! (thanks Farmer Doug)

Send me a PM with a phone number!!

I'm just concerned it is too much winch for my tractor....it is a 27hp Cat 1 PTO

Captain

farmerdoug

A old Timberjack,

If you have not figured out how to send an IM, look under Captain's post under his name and you will see a little green scroll.  If you click on it , it will open a IM page to send info just like an email but through the Forestry Forum.  If you have any questions just give a holler and someone will help you out.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

a old timberjack

hey captian, i used it on a 2640 jd it has 70 horse, i i had a guy come look at it yesterday  who had a 30 tractor ( probably the same model as yours ) and he said it was way to much that thing is a big piece of iron , if you go to farmi winch on line look up the 501 specs.......your calll, i will be glad to help ( i also sent you a pm ) .......Brandon

Ken

Good luck with the upgrade.  I too have a 225 TJ (1981 vintage) with 16.9x30 tires and it works great especially for partial harvests.  Those old TJ's are probably as tough as any machine ever built.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

a old timberjack

thanks everyone,  i like the old tj's myself. i due like the fact that it is not rocket sience to work on them old  model machines ( that is my style ) and they are tuff as heck

timberjack240

thats right boys .. theres nothin liek an old jack with a screamin oil slobberin detroit at 7 in the mornin  :D  8) pap has a 73 225D . they used to skid a million feet a year with it for a long time bought it in 76 and is still runnin her. a old timberjack when you get all the bugs worked out if you keep the maintenance up on er it should be a good little machine for ya
happy skiddin  ;D
timberjack 240

Craig

Quote from: a old timberjack on January 10, 2007, 05:10:15 AM
i am about 2 minutes from where you cut that pine craig, they still did nothing with that lot i herd they were gonna try to develope it . i dont remember, what do you have for a skidder?
Hi,
The back part of that job I pretty much cleared for a future homesite for the landowner. As far as I know he has no plans to develop it. I have a Clark 667C although I have been looking for a smaller machine maybe a 240 timberjack. I would really like a forwarder but don't want to spend alot of money right now.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

a old timberjack

i still got the old girl in a million pieces, today i got all the new grade 8 bolts for the rearend housing where it bolts to the chassis, ( they dont give them away ) got the tranny back and installed, tommorows plan is to install a battery disconnect switch , something is drawing somewhere and i cannot find it. you just dont want $200.00 worth of batterys going dead overnite. mabe this weekend i will post a pic of this " bring back to life project " ;D

timberjack240

"I have been looking for a smaller machine maybe a 240 timberjack"
now yur thinkin   :D
timberjack 240

Jim_D

Hello a old timberjack.  Do you still have that Farmi Winch?

thecfarm

Jim_D,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_D

Thanks for the welcome.  I guess a old timberjack's farmi winch was sold.  If anyone knows of a tractor mounted winch for sale that would go on my 45 pto hp tractor I would much appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks.

a old timberjack

hey jim, i did see one in uncle henrys a week ago under tractors and accessories.

Hans1

I would be very interested in the winch as I am looking for one to put on a JD 6405  MFD it is about 85 horse. please contact me at kshanson@Iowatelecom.net Also intested in comments from anyone using as similar combo. Thanks 

thecfarm

Hans1,welcome to the forum.Don't know what your JD 85hp tractor is,but I do hope it's a 4WD if you plan on putting a winch on it.Will make a differance if you're on your land or someones elses.I have a Norse winch on the back of my 40hp Ford.It likes it.But I cut on my own land so I can take the time to keep my twitch trails clear of brush,and I pick the best way through the woods.Some of my trails have been in use for more than 40 years.A tractor is not a skidder.It takes me alot longer to get out a load than it would with a skidder.But I can do a very neat job with my tractor.A much better job than I could with a skidder.I do not run over my brush,just can't with a tractor,unless you put a steel plate to act as a bush guard,but I still would not do it.I can usally winch the logs,trees out of the brush or out of a wet hole or a rocky spot.I have twitched out some very good size logs with my 40hp,that 85 will do alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hans1

Thanks for the info Author My tractor is a John Deere 6405 it is 4wd I have a loader with a grapple on the front all that I need is a winch.

Jim_D

I've been looking in Uncle Henry's but haven't found one the right size yet that didn't get sold before I could call.  They seem to be pretty popular.

olyman

Quote from: a old timberjack on January 12, 2007, 05:46:09 PM
i still got the old girl in a million pieces, today i got all the new grade 8 bolts for the rearend housing where it bolts to the chassis, ( they dont give them away ) got the tranny back and installed, tommorows plan is to install a battery disconnect switch , something is drawing somewhere and i cannot find it. you just dont want $200.00 worth of batterys going dead overnite. mabe this weekend i will post a pic of this " bring back to life project " ;D
[/quote   oldtimber--got a alt on this skidder????  if so--disconnect the hot wire--and see if the batts go down--if they stay up--you have bad diodes in the alt----oly

Norm

Welcome to the forum Hans1, I use a farmi winch on my JD 7210. It works quite well and I have been pleased with it's performance, also works well pulling out stuck vehicles in the weather we've been having. :D

Thank You Sponsors!