iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advantages of owning a sawmill

Started by Percy, January 08, 2007, 10:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Yep. Havin a sawmill has advantages that non sawmill folks dont.

For Example( Im braggin and grinnin like a buzzard at a gutpile :D)

The other  day, the community college phones me up and gives me the spiel.
"Well Percy, its like this. We gotta teach a timber framing course but there aint no  budget money for beams."
Im thinkin they are lookin for a free bee like I just did for the boyscouts(2000 bdft of  free WRC siding for the clubhouse/church). BUT this request hadda twist.

" Percy, we need about 2500 bdft of Spruce beams(can be green) and we were thinkin if you supplied them for free, we'd give you the stucture when the course is done."
I go like......"Uhhhhh, theres somthin the matter with the phone, it sounded like you were gonna gimme the building.....?"
They go "Thats right  ya dumb pollack. How soon can you have this list done??" I check out the fax and Warren and I cut them up in an afternoon. And, get this, my daughter Pamela, who works at the mill with me and Warren when she's not taking carpentry at the community colledge, gets to work on the building(actually just a skeliton) at her college course. 

I been wanting to build somthing on this hunk of property we have and ...well, she's all figured out now. The  college says I can take photos during constuction so......as Govner Arnie once said..."ILL BE BACK" ;D ;D ;D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

Sounds good to me! Now see if you can make it an annual tradition. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brdmkr

That is what I would call a deal 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Robert Long

Congrats Percy:

I sure enjoyed reading your story of good sawmilling fortune!

Hope you take lots of pics and post them.

It will be interesting to see this project from the ground up at both sites.

Robbie

farmerdoug

Percy,

Now don't forget to pay the sales tax and income taxes on that new building there. ::)  I guess you are getting paid back in spades for your good work with the scouts. 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Paul_H

For Example( Im braggin and grinnin like a buzzard at a gutpile )

Dig in and enjoy!  :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Good stroke, Percy! 8) 8)

This sort of thing may be a good way for sawmillers to get a little marketing edge, too.  I can see taking a portable mill to a woodworking class, or inviting the class for a field trip to the mill, and donating a few hours work as a classroom experience for the students.  If they got to eventually work with the wood they had helped to saw, it would leave an indelible impression on them.  The bonus for the sawyer would be that they all know where to find the sawmill when they get in the working world. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

And you may find yourself some part time help, or mabie even some competition! i doubt in a classroom of framers there wouldnt be at least a few of them to get the sawdust bug.

congrats! might just end up with a nice large family heirloom, eh?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

scsmith42

Percy - sweet deal!  You must be living right!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Snag

Congrats.  What size structure are they building?  When do they start?

Paschale

Looking forward to seeing the progress!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ivey

Good for you Percy. Maybe you could have some input on the layout.
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Captain

Congrats Percy, good for you.  Some of those gifts you have given are returned!!

Captain

Frickman

Good for you Percy. I've done similar things in the past with the local vo-tech. They need project vehicles and equipment in various mechanic and ag shops, and I have donated a vehicle and the parts/materials. The students get some experience, and I get a vehicle repaired.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Minnesota_boy

Just what role did Pam play in this?  Have you negotiated her commission yet?  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Stephen1

What goes around comes around. Helping with the scouts wasn't such a bad deal eh! i have always volunteered for what I could, my Dad used to say you only get out of a community what you put in.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Percy

Well, things are moving along nicely on the building.
Its gonna be 16 feet by 22 feet. Not a mansion or anything but cool non the less. It will make a great little retreat or office on the property that I hope to eventually move my sawmill operation to. These are the drawings and parts list. Had a bit of grief with the scanner and hope they arnt too small..heh...

It will be two storys high, nearly 20 feet, the instuctor(Shaun) says. To save realestate Im thinkin of a spiral staircase....heh... should be a challenge for "hammer and cold chisel" Percy :D

Here is some of the beams already manufactured.

Check out the fancy schmancy notchin on this unit....

Shaun says they are gonna erect the thing, a week from today. So Ill bring the high zoot digicam that day as opposed to the sparce-o-pixel cellfone(todays pics).....Im happier than a watch cat at a fish plant ;D ;D ;D

Coon

That's down right   8) 8) 8)  Make sure you get some pics of where that fancy notching goes
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Minnesota_boy

I like your idea of a space saving spiral staircase, but have you ever tried to carry a desk up one?  How about a comfortable chair?  Filing cabinet?  :o

Percy

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on January 16, 2007, 06:47:41 AM
I like your idea of a space saving spiral staircase, but have you ever tried to carry a desk up one?  How about a comfortable chair?  Filing cabinet?  :o
Uhhhh...good thinkin Ron. :) I hadnt considered that..heh.....revisions are in the works...

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

put the equipment in before the roof goes on, or maybe a big window.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

PineNut

Having lived in a house with spiral staircase, never again. In Athens, Greece most houses have spiral staircases including outside ones that go to the roof of a two-story house. Not something I enjoyed.

Hi-Country Orange

Percy: what about putting a nice 4', or 5' wide exterior stair case up to a nice second story balcony 8)

Minnesota_boy

Why would Percy want a balcony.  Have you notice the dearth of scenery in his area?  :D :D :)

Thank You Sponsors!