iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

redwoods

Started by aom, January 08, 2007, 03:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aom

For some time I have been experimenting and doing research into the growth and use of californian redwoods in areas outside the US. I seem to remember quite some time back seeing pictures of PALCO's Scotia mill b in action, picture included humungus logs being drawn up the infeed, a large chainsaw ripping saw that would split oversized logs as they lay in the saws cradle etc, I guess you get the picture. That mill has been closed for a few years, and has been demolished, the Nor Cal website has pictures of the demolition work in progress. So does anybody know of a website, book or source of pictures showing this particular mill in action cutting old growth redwoods before its closure, as no matter how much I look I havent been able to find the source.
regards AOM,

333_okh

I currently work at PALCO and have access to some of the historic photos. I am 5th generation PALCO and 6th generation Humboldt County.

aom

333-okh
Thanks for replying, Its about 6 yrs since I was at Scotia, at the time the mill had only recently ceased production, so I was unable to see it in action, but I was fortunate to be shown around the Fortuna mill. I believe there have been quite a few changes there since then, I also visited several logging sites with their associated protected owl areas etc. As I write articles for one of the forestry journals in the UK, the result was several articles. Unfortunately this was before my current research which is for a thesis for my Msc. I have been putting increased amounts of redwood through my mill, especially trying to cut trees with unusual characteristics, and comparing the end result with that grown in California and other parts of the world. Although most of the pictures I will use are to do with redwoods outside their native homeland, and timber characteristics, nevertheless I already have access to pictures of old time logging, modern old growth logging, secand growth logging and milling, but I'm lacking pictures of the end of old growth milling. Several years back I remember seeing these pictures of old growth milling at Scotia's mill B, but cant for the life of me remember the source hence the plea.
regards AOM

333_okh

I will look for more recent photos.

If you visited the owl retention areas you were probably with either myself or my boss.  I now serve as the Sr. Wildlife Biologist for the Company.

Tom

I see this as developing into an interesting conversation.  If you feel someone looking over y'all's shoulders, it's me.  ;D

333_okh

I know it seems weird the biologist is looking into alternative markets for reclaimed woods and hardwood on the compant lands, but it has always been an interest to me.  Ultimately, my family has always been in the timber or livestock industry.

I am looking for markets on:

Myrtle
Tanoak
Madrone
Big-leaf Maple
Redwood [OG and reclaimed]

I didn't get a chance to look for pictures today, but I will try sometime this week.

logwalker

333-okh,
What is going on with Alder in your area. I am cutting quite a bit for my own use but am looking to develop a small market locally. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

aom

Timber and livestock, well all of our family were in coal and farming, in fact years ago those were the only options.
As for me, brought up on a farm with our own woods, started using chainsaw at 15 under fathers tuition, upon completing schooling at age18, started own business specializing in homegrown hardwoods and speciality woods. 20 yrs later having worked in several Asian countries doing all sort of silly things associated with timber, back in the UK, still doing a bit of farming, dont know why? as it doesnt pay, but its a way of life. Here I am nearly completed a distance learning Forest Technology MSc, must be mad!!!!
As regard west coast hardwoods, a company which did some work in the sector when it was totally unfashionable years ago were Wild Iris forestry, I,ll check up on that. Also such hardwoods are not half as forgiving as redwoods to dry, serious degrade is easily possible without too much effort.

Logwalker.
Do you mean red alder, in Europ its being marketed as a sustainable alternative to mahogany, so I guess try and market it to those that use mahogany eg shop fitters etc
aom

woodhick

I have a question on redwood, not sure it goes in this post but here it goes.   I have been offered a stack of redwood that come from an old cooling tower that was torn down several years ago.   Approx. 2000 bd ft.   Most pcs are 2 1/2 or so thick and 6" wide.  I am planning on making an offer for this wood and resawing into 4/4" to resale.    I live in WV so not much redwood around here.  My question is what is the going rate for reclaimed  redwoods?   Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

333_okh

I can sell reclaimed, remilled redwood for at least $6 a board foot if sound.  Some of the small pieces such as 2x3 and 2x4 rough cutt I sell for $3.

Thank You Sponsors!