iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant Hooks

Started by Robert Long, January 07, 2007, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Will there be any for sale at the pig roast this year?

Part_Timer

I don't expect them to be Dodge proof but some days you gota do what you gota do. :)  But so far they seem to be.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Jeff

Good post Tammy. Just shows that the best log handling tools in the whole wide world will show some wear from going above and beyond the call of duty.  Whats cool about that photo is that even though its bent and battered, its still usable.  A wood handled tool would have been destroyed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rebocardo

I know when the hook broke on my wood handled one, the earth kicking me was quite the surprise. Just glad I didn't have any tools in the pockets like I usually do.

LT40HDD51

I got your thread hijacked  :D.

Logrite has done me very well, can't complain one bit. Im interested to get the new one and try it out. Thanks Tammy for the quick response and the ok for the replacement handle (I dont mind waiting a couple more days for the purdy orange  ;)).

As far as abusing it, I dont think that the force I can generate with my arms (or my brother) should do damage, with no mechanical advantage or anything. Ive spread the jaws on a good guaranteed wrench with only my hands. Its a hand tool, should withstand my hands :).

On a side note, we recently bought a big 3 gallon insulated water jug with a tap on the bottom for drinking water when we go to work. The vent holes are on the bottom for some reason (the lid seals tight), and the first one we got leaked like crazy from one of them. I took it back for an exchange thinking "this one wont work any better". Well, it did. First run on er today and no leaks. Wouldnt be the first thing that was defective for whatever reason right off the line...

And speaking of (near) catastrophic handle breakin, one time I had a wooden handled peavey under a log prying down onto the bedrail of the mill to lift it. I put all my weight on it and the handle broke off tapering to a sharp point. I fell to my knees in the sawdust and the point of the remaining handle whizzed past my nose and took the hat right off my head  :o. Made me shudder to think what would have happened if the point was a bit longer, or I was leaning farther ahead...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

dad2nine

You guys know if Logrite sells a replacement black spongy handle that's on the end of the hook - I done wore mine out. I have 1 cant hook it a logrite 60", I've used others but nothing compares to it's worth every penny. I've been meaning to order a 78"er but just haven't got around to it yet.

Jeff

Quote from: dad2nine on June 01, 2007, 10:59:36 PM
You guys know if Logrite sells a replacement black spongy handle that's on the end of the hook - I done wore mine out.

I'm sure they do. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

neslrite

Yes we sell t he replacement grips.  They are a little tricky to put on but I will send you our secret method. ;D

Call us and we can get your info. 800-631-4791

Tammy
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

jerry-m

Tammy hope I'am no giving any secrets away,

But,,,,, when I was in the bike business we would spray the handle bars with hair spray... The grip slipped on easily and would not come off :) :) :)

Jerry
Jerry

Tam-i-am

Close but no cigar!  Hairspray leaves a residue and dries too fast for someone to pull the long grip into place.

It actually has 2 secret steps. ;D

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

SwampDonkey

I got my two spiffy, dandy, blue handled Logrite peaveys on Friday.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Let's see if I can get the math right, was going through about 2 cant hook handles a rear at $42.00 a piece plus tax, about $45.00. Bought a blue handled Logrite about a year and a half ago at Captain's store for about $100.00 time ya counted shipping. Haven't bought a wooden one since, I guess the handles would have cost me about $135.00. Way I got it figured I am about $35.00 dollars ahead of the game and making money. ;D My hooks get a lot of use too, have had to sharpen my blue one twice.

I aint gonna tell anybody how good they are, let the numbers say it.

I think my next purchase will be a blue tie pick, think I will let the cant hook pay for it. :D
Bill

den

Put compressed air in the handle while putting the grip on. Do I get a new cant hook for the right answer ?
den 8)
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Robert Long

My two cents on that bent cant hook......

Hi all, I am the person who began this thread on cant hooks and now a proud owner of two Logright cant hooks.  I've been away so have not been on the forum lately, sorry for the late note on this topic but here is my question on that bent cant hook.......

Why didn't the little L shaped end of the hook bend or break first?

Robert

Tom

On a big log, the tip isn't always the first thing to come into contact with the log.  Many times it is the the bottom of the handle that you are pulling against.  The tips will keep the tool from slipping and closing up.

Robert Long

Thanks Tom......makes sense.

Perhaps that hook bent from the weld being too hot.

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!