iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

extention pics

Started by deadeye, January 07, 2007, 08:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

i was looking to buy a extention for my lth 40 but when i heard the price i figured i would make one.  was just wondering if anyone who has a 12 foot extention  could post some pics on how it is connected to the mill. hell if you want you can post pics of all of it which would be nice to . thanks deadeye

Percy

Heya Deadeye.
I have a LT70 with a 6 foot extension.

Building an extension could be done by a competant fabricator or if you could find a hunk of wrercked WM frame, youd be laffin. The "connector" is an ingenious piece and if I was doing what you are contemplating, Id buy the connector from WM. Its a tad pricey but does the job well.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

logwalker

How long of an extention are you wanting? I am also interested in one so will follow closely. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

deadeye

i'm making a ten foot extension, i got the mainrial tube and rods, the beds  and some bracing tube.  the olny section that i'm unsure about is were they join, if you remove the chain holder and stoper that gives you two bolts that can go in to hold it if you run a plate on the inside with the nuts welded on.  the other side you have the light and its gaurd this is were i wonder how to go about it. i was thinking in removeing the light and bolt it on there.  a pic of the joiner would do me wonders........  i will post my pics this week as i build it .

deadeye

come on somebody else must have a extention that they can take pics of.  out of all you sawers and picture takers i know someone is up to it.

ShowMeSawyer

I'm getting ready to install a new 6' extension on my Super. Wood-Mizer sent both connecting kits along so that I would get the correct one.....nice of WM to do that. I will be only using one kit and will send the other one back to WM.

Since the 6' extension is new, one kit is for the year 2002+ models and the other kit is for 2001 and older.

If someone could post a link on "How to post pics" on this forum, I will try to post pics on both of these connector kits.

SMS

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

deadeye

Furby

deadeye

all my pics are saved as jpg. how the heck do i change them to whatever it takes to load on the site

deadeye

i give up if you want to see the extension pics look in my photo gallery. i can seem to upload them to that but can't connect them to this post. 

beenthere

Don't give up.
Just click on your pic in your gallery. It will enlarge, and a line under it that refers to "Click to copy photo....." will copy the photo, and then you simply go to your post and paste it in there (I use Ctrl-V to do that).  You are so close, if it were a snake, you'd be bit...... :)
There are other ways too, but this works best for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Robert Long

Hey Deadeye

Sounds like a big job......in the mean time, the guys on this forum helped me learn to cut extra long logs using the rollers.

Robert

deadeye

Dana

My LT-30 was too old for an extension without modifying the frame on both the mill
and extension. The picture shows how we did it.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

deadeye

deadeye

finally after two night trying i get it right in the morning

Dana

Deadeye,did you use a plug weld with an insert? If so you must be keeping the mill stationary?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

deadeye

i don't know what a plug weld is but i don't plan on moving the mill with that extension on it . i made the joiner myself out of 1/2 plate .  my rail is not perfect but it will do for now.  how do the wm ext fit together i still have never seen one. do the rails fit perfect or is there a little bump.

deadeye

extention works like a charm sawing a 30 footer is nomore of a problem then sawing a 16 footer.  i was worried that the join was going to make a wave but it doesn't even fiz on it . sawed 12  30ft 6x8, 3 28ft 6x8 and 2 18ft 6x8 with a wack of 2 and 1 inch.  took just under six hours . 

logwalker

That is very cool Deadeye, Can you tell us how much it is costing for materials and how much time you have invested? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

deadeye

it cost me roughly 400 dollars canadian for the steel, the hardware was about 25 dollars and took me 2 days of pondering and welding.  the olny thing that i didn't spring for was the hardened rail rods. i used ordianary rod for the time and will change it to hardened rod later on.  there is a little rough spot at the join but it doesn't affect anything.  i never heard back form members with extensions to find out how smooth their joins were.   took about half an hour to set it up with use of a forklift.  all in all it was well worth the time and effort, and if woodmizers has nothing extra special about it then i wouldn't pay the 3200+shipping and handleing and tax that they quoted me. the logs i was sawing were anywhere from 11 to 16 inch on the small end by 30 foot long and i had no problem sawing or turning them, the olny thing i had to do to turn them was put a pipe in the end jack on my wood mizer and i had a extra log dog to hold it .  the  one thing i have left to make is a manual clam for the far end.  i would still like to here for woodmizer  extention owners how the real one fit together.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: deadeye on January 24, 2007, 07:35:17 AM
  i never heard back form members with extensions to find out how smooth their joins were. 

When I put my extension on, if I take the time to really adjust like I should, its hard to see the joint on the rods.  They should be perfectly level with each other and exactly in line.  In practice, I get close enough.  :D

Quote from: deadeye on January 24, 2007, 07:35:17 AM
i used ordianary rod for the time and will change it to hardened rod later on.  there is a little rough spot at the join but it doesn't affect anything.

I've seen a mill with a homemade extension that has cold rolled steel rods.  After some use you can see the dip where it transitions from the factory rod to the cold rolled.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

deadeye

i put the extension away today and the cool rolled rods aren't going to last to long, i'm going to have to get the real ones and swap them out. 

logwalker

Are you seeing flats on them already Deadeye? Joe

Thank You Sponsors!